The Student Room Group

Animation, Graphic Design, Art, Fashion, Photography & Illustration 2018 Applicants

Hi all!

You may be working on your application for 2018 entry into Animation, Graphic Design, Fine Art, Fashion, Photography or Illustration courses. How exciting! You can use this place to chat about portfolios, courses, and that kind of thing while meeting fellow applicants :smile:

Introduce yourself!

Name:
Predicted grades:
Thinking of/applying to:

I'm starting on my first year of BA Animation next week at Nottingham Trent University, so if you have any questions or need any advice on interviews, portfolios or the like feel free to shoot me a question
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there!
I`m Italian and actually thinking about applying for a photography course in Edinburgh- at UNI of Edimburgh or Napier University. I was wonder If someone here has a suggestion about which UNI to chose and why (also apart from these 2, I mena, other Universities).
Plus, I actually need a help with my portfolio, as I`ve never done one before. I tryies to look for the instruction directly from the universities website but it didn't help much. So, please, just explain to me how it work, and maybe send examples, If possible.
Thanks a lot!
Reply 2
I'm attempting to narrow down my uni choices, but the thing is, I'm really struggling to decide on my 'final 5'. I live in London & want to get out, so UAL is out of the question & I'm really liking the idea of being near the beach/sea, so the current contenders are Falmouth, Plymouth College of Art, AUB & Portsmouth. I've looked at Brighton, but it doesn't appeal to me in terms of workspace & accommodation, though I'm considering applying there anyway because I do like the area & rep.

Where are you all looking at & why?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sbbh
I'm attempting to narrow down my uni choices, but the thing is, I'm really struggling to decide on my 'final 5'. I live in London & want to get out, so UAL is out of the question & I'm really liking the idea of being near the beach, so the current contenders are Falmouth, Plymouth College of Art, AUB & Portsmouth. I've looked at Brighton, but it doesn't appeal to me in terms of workspace & accommodation, though I'm considering applying there anyway because I do like the area & rep.

Where are you all looking at & why?

Portsmouth is a bit of an odd choice there compared to your other choices - and it's definitely not near the beach :s-smilie:

Have you looked at UWE? Or Norwich and Anglia Ruskin?

Or if you're willing to travel further afield then Edinburgh or Dundee are worth a look (although because they're capped on places they're more difficult to get an offer from).
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Portsmouth is a bit of an odd choice there compared to your other choices - and it's definitely not near the beach :s-smilie:

Have you looked at UWE? Or Norwich and Anglia Ruskin?

Or if you're willing to travel further afield then Edinburgh or Dundee are worth a look (although because they're capped on places they're more difficult to get an offer from).

Portsmouth was suggested to me by my brother & also a friend who goes there - I'm going to the open day tomorrow to get a feel for it (it's not my first choice, kind of a back-up). By beach I more mean the sea/an expanse of water, doesn't have to be a beach.

I did take a look at those three:
UWE: Looks really good, the only negative is the price for accommodation which seriously puts me off (I'm really money-conscious)
NUA: Also amazing, but again accommodation costs...I do want an ensuite - I went to uni last year for a few months and shared a bathroom so from experience I would rather my own this time
Anglia Ruskin: I'm actually currently looking at it. Although I'd prefer to go to an arts-based uni this is a contender

I get really anxious about money (as you can probably pick up on) and I don't really want that worry at uni. Although I'll be saving from now until I leave, I still don't want to spend 7k on accommodation at one uni when I could've been just as happy at another for significantly less.

I'd rather not go too far North, so I didn't look at those. Thank you for the help!
Original post by Sbbh
Portsmouth was suggested to me by my brother & also a friend who goes there - I'm going to the open day tomorrow to get a feel for it (it's not my first choice, kind of a back-up). By beach I more mean the sea/an expanse of water, doesn't have to be a beach.

I did take a look at those three:
UWE: Looks really good, the only negative is the price for accommodation which seriously puts me off (I'm really money-conscious)
NUA: Also amazing, but again accommodation costs...I do want an ensuite - I went to uni last year for a few months and shared a bathroom so from experience I would rather my own this time
Anglia Ruskin: I'm actually currently looking at it. Although I'd prefer to go to an arts-based uni this is a contender

I get really anxious about money (as you can probably pick up on) and I don't really want that worry at uni. Although I'll be saving from now until I leave, I still don't want to spend 7k on accommodation at one uni when I could've been just as happy at another for significantly less.

I'd rather not go too far North, so I didn't look at those. Thank you for the help!

If money is an issue then looking north will save you cash - http://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/illustration/ https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2018/graphic-design-and-illustration http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/study/undergraduate-courses/ba-hons-illustration/ would all have much lower living costs. Or http://hartlepool.ccad.ac.uk/illustration-for-commercial-application/
Reply 6

MSA and LAU are outstanding unis, but the distance from London is an issue as I do want to be able to visit home every now and then without having such a long journey as there would be for uni in the North. I am still very tempted though, particularly by MSA. It's so difficult to choose and I really can't afford visiting them all.
Original post by Sbbh
MSA and LAU are outstanding unis, but the distance from London is an issue as I do want to be able to visit home every now and then without having such a long journey as there would be for uni in the North. I am still very tempted though, particularly by MSA. It's so difficult to choose and I really can't afford visiting them all.

The travel time is likely similar or less than Falmouth :yes:
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
The travel time is likely similar or less than Falmouth :yes:

That makes it all the more tempting...in fact I may apply to MSA instead of Falmouth (I've always been in two minds about Falmouth, it being really out of the way & I don't like the accommodation enough for the distance to not be such an issue). I'm definitely reviewing my choices.

Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by Sbbh
That makes it all the more tempting...in fact I may apply to MSA instead of Falmouth (I've always been in two minds about Falmouth, it being really out of the way & I don't like the accommodation enough for the distance to not be such an issue). I'm definitely reviewing my choices.

Thank you so much for your help!

That’s alright:smile:

I’ve stickied this thread so hopefully there’ll be other illustration applicants along as the year goes on :smile:.
Reply 10
Update (also to give this a bit of a bump): I've changed my choices to UWE (Bristol), NUA (Norwich), Portsmouth, Anglia Ruskin and AUB
Hello! My name is Cyan and...

Current Course/s: I am taking a few AP courses this year and have taken 4 exams last year
Predicted grades: I got four 4s on my AP exams last year, but am predicted three 5s for this current year
Applying to: I have just submitted my application for Oxford (Ruskin), UCL (Slade), UAL (CSM and Chelsea), and Goldsmiths!

Excited to get to know you all!

UPDATE (23/01/18): I have gotten an offer to Oxford, Goldsmiths, and UAL's foundation program!! I'm so excited. I'm still waiting to hear back from UCL though
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Hey Guys B^)
Name: Bea
Current Course/s: I'm taking Fine Art, Maths and Religious Studies for A Level
Predicted grades: I'm predicted an A for all of them! Yay?
Thinking of/applying to: Foundation Diploma for Art and Design at UCA Rochester, like I'm pretty sure I'll get in if I could just finish my application there... (But I'm thinking of applying to DMU for Games Art after Foundation)

Nice to meet some fellow artists eh
Reply 13
Name: Nicole
Current Course/s: Art and Design Extended Diploma
Predicted grades: DDD
Thinking of/applying to: New Bucks University, Loughborough University, Central Saint Martins, Arts University Bournemouth & Portsmouth University

I'm interested in applying for a textiles course, love working with fabrics and prints and want to broaden my skills and combine with my existing skills.
(edited 6 years ago)
Rosie
Sheffield
Art and design, textiles, product design
ABB
Applying to Glasgow school of art, uni of Edinburgh, ravensbourne and two courses at manchester met
I'm applying to both fine art photography at Glasgow school of art and photography at Edinburgh college of art this year but I'm really confused about the portfolio aspect, I went to the open day at GSA and the I spoke to one of the tutors in that department and she said include as many photographs as possible and not a lot of paintings etc but I go to portfolio classes at the weekend and my tutor there told me to only include 6 out of the 25 images photographs and the rest paintings, drawings, sculpture etc so I'm very confused on what I should do, I was originally planning on showing sketchbook pages of research and contact pages and maybe some drawings and paintings I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what to do ?
Name: yellowcopter
Current Course/s: BA Graphic Design Year 1
Predicted grades: Distinction in Foundation Diploma achieved
Thinking of/applying to:

LCF - Creative Direction for Fashion
CSM - Fashion Communication: Promotion Pathway
Ravensbourne - Fashion Promotion
Westminster - Fashion Marketing & Promotion
(edited 6 years ago)
Name: EleanorLocation: Newcastle Current Course/s: textiles, history, health and social carePredicted grades: A, A, D*Thinking of/applying to: Leeds, Loughborough, Heriot Watt, Bath Spa, Nottingham Trent I've applied for textile design 2018 entry but I'm debating whether to do a foundation year first? Has anyone done this/is it worth it?
Original post by donnellyrose
Name: EleanorLocation: Newcastle Current Course/s: textiles, history, health and social carePredicted grades: A, A, D*Thinking of/applying to: Leeds, Loughborough, Heriot Watt, Bath Spa, Nottingham Trent I've applied for textile design 2018 entry but I'm debating whether to do a foundation year first? Has anyone done this/is it worth it?

I'm not gonna do a foundation course, but everyone I know who's taken it has said that it's really good because you can discover which aspect of art might actually interest you, so you can be sure on the course you want to apply for in the future. If you want to take it, go for it. For some- i don't know if all- universities give their foundation students a sure place on the course they apply for after their foundation year
Reply 19
Name:Wei
Current Course/s: Gap year
Predicted grades: Foundation diploma
Thinking of/applying to: CSM womenswear and FDM
Do you guys know when approximately the BA fashion portfolio review for CSM takes place?

Quick Reply

Latest