The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by christineq
Hi, I am an international student. I was studying CIE AS courses and I got A(94) in AS Biology, A(92) in AS Chemistry, and A(87) in AS math. I got my UKCAT result of 2870 with band 2 STJ. Do you think Manchester is a good choice for me ?

Hi I've seen you copy paste this into many forums. Are you still making your choice? I'm sure you've had lots of advice. 2870 is a great ukcat score so you can apply to many different universities. Its more of a matter of where you want ro study.
Original post by ArcaneMists
Hi I've seen you copy paste this into many forums. Are you still making your choice? I'm sure you've had lots of advice. 2870 is a great ukcat score so you can apply to many different universities. Its more of a matter of where you want ro study.

i am somehow very ambivalent. thank you for your consideration. i am thinking of lecister, queen belfast, and cardiff now.
54782F53-8733-4BB3-814C-0DEA38072B3D.jpg.jpeg
7th decile is 667.5 would 660 be enough?
on the 8th decile!!! i am ecstatic!!! where is my interview?!?!?
Original post by molly.butcherx
What would your top tips be for writing a good NAI?

Caring Role:
- Say the things you actually did instead of saying what you saw
- Reflect and say what you learned from your experience
- Try making it personal like something you actually experienced, for example if you cared for patients you may have had to deal with rude patients... say how you dealt with it and what you learned from it
- Try to show how you developed the skills a doctor needs so being patient, empathising, communicating etc

Teamwork:
- You can pick multiple activities but try to stick with one activity (mine was DofE)
- If you led the team then make sure you say how you led it, what skills did you need and gain from it. Also try to pick an activity where you faced problems and then say how you all worked together to solve them

Hobbies & interests
- I think I used like 6 for this but try not to cram loads in
- with each hobby explain how it allows you to distress, also what skills you gain from it which are important as a doctor
- Try putting at least one sporty activity in
- Say why you enjoy these activities and also that you hope to carry some of them on at university. You can also say that you will join societies related to your interests

Motivation for Medicine
- Make it personal as possible.
- try saying an event that happened which really led you to want to do medicine
- Explain your story about how your interest developed (don't say I like science or biology cuz thats not a good enough reason to do a degree like medicine) and how you then began to do some experience to feel how its like to be a doctor
- Say that you really want to do it and that you WILL be a good doctor after all the experience you've had in the field
- Also state that you realise that becoming and being a doctor is very difficult but you are willing to do it for the greater good or something along those lines

These are just ideas but this is the sort of stuff I wrote in mine so it should get you an interview :wink:
Original post by christineq
Hi, I am an international student. I was studying CIE AS courses and I got A(94) in AS Biology, A(92) in AS Chemistry, and A(87) in AS math. I got my UKCAT result of 2870 with band 2 STJ. Do you think Manchester is a good choice for me ?

Im not completely sure how it works for international students but judging by the info you've given (like the high ukcat score)... I say Manchester is a great choice :smile:

Do you have any GCSE equivalent qualifications?
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
7th decile is 667.5 would 660 be enough?

Can't be sure it's very borderline :s-smilie:

It's highly dependent on the sort of students that apply this year... you have to hope that most people applying to Manchester don't have a high ukcat score

You can definitely give it a shot as a risky choice... you've got about a 75% chance I'd say
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Caring Role:
- Try making it personal like something you actually experienced, for example if you cared for patients you may have had to deal with rude patients... say how you dealt with it and what you learned from it
- Try to show how you developed the skills a doctor needs so being patient, empathising, communicating etc

Teamwork:
- You can pick multiple activities but try to stick with one activity (mine was DofE)
- If you led the team then make sure you say how you led it, what skills did you need and gain from it. Also try to pick an activity where you faced problems and then say how you all worked together to solve them

Hobbies & interests
- with each hobby explain how it allows you to distress, also what skills you gain from it which are important as a doctor
- Say why you enjoy these activities and also that you hope to carry some of them on at university. You can also say that you will join societies related to your interests

Motivation for Medicine
- Explain your story about how your interest developed (don't say I like science or biology cuz thats not a good enough reason to do a degree like medicine) and how you then began to do some experience to feel how its like to be a doctor
- Say that you really want to do it and that you WILL be a good doctor after all the experience you've had in the field
- Also state that you realise that becoming and being a doctor is very difficult but you are willing to do it for the greater good or something along those lines

These are just ideas but this is the sort of stuff I wrote in mine so it should get you an interview :wink:

Thank you so much! This is so helpful!!!

It doesn't really state on their website, but do they look at the NAI after the interview?
Caring Role:

Teamwork:

Hobbies & interests

Motivation for Medicine

Thank you for all the advice! For the motivation for medicine, did you talk about why Manchester specifically, because on their NAI form they ask “Please tell us why, in particular, you want to come and study medicine at Manchester.” Thanks :smile:
Thank you so much! This is so helpful!!!

It doesn't really state on their website, but do they look at the NAI after the interview?

Np :smile:

One of the stations is all about the NAI form. At each station you get a score so there's gunna be a score for the NAI form station and your overall score will be used to determine whether you get an offer

Some unis look at your application as a whole if you were slightly below the interview cut off but I can't quite remember if Manchester does this, sorry
Original post by khookie
Thank you for all the advice! For the motivation for medicine, did you talk about why Manchester specifically, because on their NAI form they ask “Please tell us why, in particular, you want to come and study medicine at Manchester.” Thanks :smile:

Np:smile:
I didn't talk about that... I don't think they told us that last year

Definitely mention the course:-
- PBL cases
- Anatomy (full body dissection)
- Simulated Patients
- Early Clinical Experience
- Lectures
(you don't have to mention all of these but just a few and then you can elaborate at interview)

You could also talk about other things like diversity and location but I think the main focus should be the course and why it suits you
Np:smile:
I didn't talk about that... I don't think they told us that last year

Definitely mention the course:-
- PBL cases
- Anatomy (full body dissection)
- Simulated Patients
- Early Clinical Experience
- Lectures
(you don't have to mention all of these but just a few and then you can elaborate at interview)

You could also talk about other things like diversity and location but I think the main focus should be the course and why it suits you

I think I saw the date of the 10th of November for the deadline, but how is it sent off??
I think I saw the date of the 10th of November for the deadline, but how is it sent off??

Just checked their website... the deadline is 10 November

They will email you the form on 15 October or you could fill it out on their website

It's sent electronically... just click 'submit' when you've done it all

You will be sent a copy of your form via email so you can read it before you go into interview
Just checked their website... the deadline is 10 November

They will email you the form on 15 October or you could fill it out on their website

It's sent electronically... just click 'submit' when you've done it all

You will be sent a copy of your form via email so you can read it before you go into interview

Thank you! That's all my questions complete now, I'll give you a rest hahaha! :wink: thanks for being such an amazing help!
Thank you! That's all my questions complete now, I'll give you a rest hahaha! :wink: thanks for being such an amazing help!

haha no worries!! :smile:
I got 677.5 which is comfortable 8th decile (correct me if I'm wrong) - this should stand a good chance?
Original post by 12345John12345
I got 677.5 which is comfortable 8th decile (correct me if I'm wrong) - this should stand a good chance?

Yeah its a bit close, but you should be fine :smile: . (I applied with 683 last year and got an interview, reapplying again this year, with 705)
Original post by xXx-Mr-Today-xXx
Yeah its a bit close, but you should be fine :smile: . (I applied with 683 last year and got an interview, reapplying again this year, with 705)

Okay thank you - also congrats on the amazing score :P
Original post by 12345John12345
Okay thank you - also congrats on the amazing score :P

The Manchester website say the interview around 7th decile +, so you should be fine!!

Latest

Trending

Trending