The Student Room Group

2 Gap years - Medicine

Hi all,

I received my A-Level results this year and they weren't what I was hoping to achieve due to being ill in hospital during the exam season.

So, I've decided on retaking.. but, I have called up universities who have told me that I have to reapply the year after with achieved grades.. surely, that would mean that I will take 2 gap years.

Would this affect my application into medicine at all? Is there anyone else who has gone in by taking 2 gap years? I intend to apply in September 2018 for entry in September 2019.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by maths_geek
Hi all,

I received my A-Level results this year and they weren't what I was hoping to achieve due to being ill in hospital during the exam season.

So, I've decided on retaking.. but, I have called up universities who have told me that I have to reapply the year after with achieved grades.. surely, that would mean that I will take 2 gap years.

Would this affect my application into medicine at all? Is there anyone else who has gone in by taking 2 gap years? I intend to apply in September 2018 for entry in September 2019.

Thanks in advance!

The number of gap years is not a problem at all. People come to study medicine having had successful careers for years in other fields. I'd be worried about the retakes and how they'd be viewed but if you have extenuating circumstances which are documented you should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
The number of gap years is not a problem at all. People come to study medicine having had successful careers for years in other fields. I'd be worried about the retakes and how they'd be viewed but if you have extenuating circumstances which are documented you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply! I completely agree I have checked all the universities that I am interested in applying to and unfortunately not all of them are clear about their A-Level resit policy.

To document extenuating circumstances do you think that a letter from a GP and hospital are better evidence or mentioning it in my UCAS reference is better?
Original post by maths_geek
Thanks for the reply! I completely agree I have checked all the universities that I am interested in applying to and unfortunately not all of them are clear about their A-Level resit policy.

To document extenuating circumstances do you think that a letter from a GP and hospital are better evidence or mentioning it in my UCAS reference is better?

Both. Your school should also have been made aware through the appropriate channels.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Both. Your school should also have been made aware through the appropriate channels.

Yeah, they definitely know about the whole situation. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Any on 23rd Nov?
Reply 6
I did exactly that. Now I'm in exeter. Just started.
Reply 7
Original post by Zahid~
I did exactly that. Now I'm in exeter. Just started.

That's a real relief! Did Exeter require evidence of extenuating circumstances, or are resits just allowed? Also, do they accept GCSE retakes too? I hope you're enjoying it so far - what do you think of the medical school? I am considering Exeter but, my fear is that I won't stand a chance since, I have retaken my GCSEs before and am now retaking A-Levels.

Thanks for your reply!
Reply 8
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Hi did you get an interview at exeter last year as a resit? if so what were your stats ?
I'm in the same position as you btw OP! Tbh i think its worth it to take a gap year next year if i achieve the grades this time around.

Hi NeverGrowUp, It's a real relief to know that I'm not the only one in this position! Yeah exactly, that's what I'm seriously considering too but, I just want to make sure that I won't be closing my doors to med schools (if you see what I mean!) Since I have resat some GCSEs too do you think that would make my application any weaker? Btw, I didn't fail them I just knew I could achieve better but, I have resat things more than once.. I hope you get the grades this year! :smile:
Reply 9
it all depends really. Did you have any extenuating or mitigating circumstances? If so make sure your teachers write a really good referene for you to support your claims and add evidence. Many universities dont look at GCSE so much, as long as you've got a minimum grades in maths and english etc. Try really hard to get amazing grades this year and you'd be in a better position next year. If not theres always graduate entry where most no longer look at gcse's and a levels. Where are you thinking of applying this year? and thanks, you too!

I didn't have any really bad extenuating circumstances during my GCSEs apart from the fact that, teachers at my school didn't turn up to lessons and it was mostly self-study. Do you think that would count? If so, how would I be able to prove this? My secondary school was a real mess, in all fairness, even though my GCSE results are on the lower side for med at the time I tried my hardest and with those circumstances I don't think getting those grades were easy! By minimum grades what do you mean? I've got an A* in maths (after 4 attempts started at a C) and a B in English language - do you think that's ok? For graduate entry medicine do they not consider your A-levels/GCSEs? In that case, what do they look at? So, because I'm quite unwell at the moment I'm retaking this year but, applying next year for September 2019 entry. I just want to get my health a bit better first. Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Reply 10
If you can ask your secondary school to write to you that the teachers were frequently absent then that could count as an extenuating circumstances . I'd suggest you go to a tutorial college to resit as the popular ones are experts with resit applicants to competitive courses and they would have all the advice and knowledge to help you although they're quite expensive. If not, you can just apply after achieving amazing grades (aim for 3A*s ideally) and apply next year, however i suggest you apply to something this year maybe biomed just in case. I think GEM would be the best option for you as most do not look at a-levels and GCSE's, you just have to achieve a first class or 2:1 in a science degree and a good UKCAT/BMAT score.

I can ask although I doubt that they'd provide a letter or something since, they're not great at admitting their mistake. I'll have a look at them. Yeah, that's the aim! Although, would any university take DEE for biomedical science? And, if I was to apply with these grades are there any universities which would take me on with these? Can it be any science degree, or is it limited?
Reply 11
Well i suggest you still retake this year and apply this year for 2018 entry with good predicted grades. Many universities accept resits even without extenuating circumstances for non competitive courses. Some may accept you with those grades through clearing although they would be the smaller unis and Ideally you should resit as your future employers will still se DEE on your CV.

Sure, I'll research more medical science courses with requirements that I think are achievable. That's true, I'll have another look and definitely retake this year.

Thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending