Should I apply to LSE to study Law?

Hi,

I had decided on the following university choices:
Cambridge
UCL
Kings
Warwick
Birmingham

However, after not doing too well on practice tests for the LNAT I am considering only keeping UCL as my LNAT uni and swap Kings with
LSE who do not require the LNAT.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

What are your predicted grades and AS + GCSE grades?

What were your scores on your practice LNAT's?

I'm applying to LSE, UCL, Bristol, Durham and Warwick and have only done 1 LNAT practice test scoring 27 in multiple choice section, not taking LNAT till around December.
Reply 2
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
What are your predicted grades and AS + GCSE grades?

What were your scores on your practice LNAT's?

I'm applying to LSE, UCL, Bristol, Durham and Warwick and have only done 1 LNAT practice test scoring 27 in multiple choice section, not taking LNAT till around December.

Got A's in my AS. And predicted A*AA.GCSES are 4A*s and 8 A's. My scores range from 15-30 so I am quite inconsistent. Mine is end of October since I wanted it out of the way and since my UCAS application will be submitted early.
Original post by new1234
Got A's in my AS. And predicted A*AA.GCSES are 4A*s and 8 A's. My scores range from 15-30 so I am quite inconsistent. Mine is end of October since I wanted it out of the way and since my UCAS application will be submitted early.

Fair enough buddy, I have similar grades to you (6 A*'s, 3 A's, 1 B in iGCSE/GCSE's) and achieved A*A*A at A-level in Summer 2017 - I'm on a gap year. Just remember you'll be up against people with majority A*'s (very competitive) so its really up to you, King's is far easier to get into even if it does require LNAT.
Reply 4
Fair enough buddy, I have similar grades to you (6 A*'s, 3 A's, 1 B in iGCSE/GCSE's) and achieved A*A*A at A-level in Summer 2017 - I'm on a gap year. Just remember you'll be up against people with majority A*'s (very competitive) so its really up to you, King's is far easier to get into even if it does require LNAT.

I feel like its equally hard for me just because of how bad I am with the LNAT. Hmmm, would you say my GCSE's are not good enough then?
I feel like UCL and Kings are so similar so if I apply to both I am essentially wasting a choice since if I get rejected by one I am quite likely to be rejected by the other.
Original post by new1234
I feel like its equally hard for me just because of how bad I am with the LNAT. Hmmm, would you say my GCSE's are not good enough then?
I feel like UCL and Kings are so similar so if I apply to both I am essentially wasting a choice since if I get rejected by one I am quite likely to be rejected by the other.

UCL is harder to get into than KCL, no matter how much KCL might like to pretend otherwise.
Reply 6
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
UCL is harder to get into than KCL, no matter how much KCL might like to pretend otherwise.

Lol, fair enough.
Original post by new1234

It's up to you totally but if I were in your position I'd feel better having KCL
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by JohnGreek
Go for LSE, even though I wouldn't be confident with those A*AA predictions. They only barely meet the offer, and consequently put you at a vast disadvantage compared to the people who are applying with 4 or 5 A-levels and more A*s predicted.

So don't go for LSE?
Reply 9
It's up to you totally but if I were in your position I'd feel better having KCL

Hmm, okay. Its just the LNAT that's putting me off.
Reply 10
Go for LSE, even though I wouldn't be confident with those A*AA predictions. They only barely meet the offer, and consequently put you at a vast disadvantage compared to the people who are applying with 4 or 5 A-levels and more A*s predicted.

If I was predicted A*A*A? Then would you still say the same thing?

People apply to Law with 4/5 A-Levels? Why tho
Original post by Fonzworth
People apply to Law with 4/5 A-Levels? Why tho

Because people want to make the most impressive argument possible for why they should be given a place. When you're talking about applicants who are also applying to Oxbridge too, they are under a lot of pressure to make themselves stand out.

Original post by new1234
If I was predicted A*A*A? Then would you still say the same thing?

Mostly everyone who applies to LSE will have predictions like those. And if you look at the stats, most people are rejected.
Well, you'd avoid the typical admissions fear that you'd miss your predicted grades either way and therefore not make it in even if you were given an offer. How that puts you in relation to the rest of the cohort, I honestly don't know :sad face:

How about 3 + an EPQ?
Reply 14
Because 3 A-levels are piss easy and make you bored of life. No challenge in them.

4 are more challenging and look better. The 5th A-level could be an EPQ, or a subject that doesn't go on an offer, such as Critical thinking or General Studies. Plus, as Notorious said, a lot of the LSE/UCL applicants will also be Oxbridge applicants (perhaps this isn't so true of LSE - a lot of people seem to avoid putting it on the same application with UCL and KCL because they see as it unpredictable in how it gives out its offers, but the point stands).

Edit: I should probably add that this thread talks about the law courses that constitute the 'ceiling' in terms of competitiveness. Law courses at the likes of Oxbridge, Durham, LSE, UCL easily have entry tariffs of 550+ UCAS points a year on average. That suggests that their intake are doing at least 4 A-levels, or some high-tariff examination such as the IB (which has 6 subjects).

Well, you'd avoid the typical admissions office fear that you'd miss your predicted grades either way and therefore not make it, even if you were given an offer. How that puts you in relation to the rest of the cohort, I honestly don't know :sad face:

Yeah okay I have decided no to LSE then. Dont know what to about Kings though as they are an LNAT uni.
I have seen people with A*AA get into the uni's I'm considering applying to( Cambridge, UCL, Kings) so I don't think my grades put me at a severe disadvantage with those unis just the LNAT really. For LSE, my grades aren't enough so thanks for helping me decide.
Much better :wink:

Not sure how it compares to 3 an EPQ vs 4 'full' A-levels. I'd imagine that four A-levels suggest better things about you, workload-wise, because of the simple empirical fact that they take more time to prepare for and involve a... shall we say tougher form of examination? (end of year exam a little bit of coursework vs long research essay a presentation)

I probably would do 4 but I struggled on picking my 3rd option :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by new1234
Yeah okay I have decided no to LSE then. Dont know what to about Kings though as they are an LNAT uni.
I have seen people with A*AA get into the uni's I'm considering applying to( Cambridge, UCL, Kings) so I don't think my grades put me at a severe disadvantage with those unis just the LNAT really. For LSE, my grades aren't enough so thanks for helping me decide.

People get into Cambridge with A*AA; one respected user on here comes to mind. However, they weren't predicted A*AA.
Original post by new1234

The average person that does medicine or who goes to Oxford has around 6A* from around 11 GCSEs.

You can practically guarantee most don't have a majority of A* at GCSE. Birmingham give offers to around 80% of applicants

Use a website called whichuniverity which tells you the offer rate for a uni and course.

UCAS also have an offer calculator, so maybe try that as well?

Im not sure how it's seen in Law, but UCL has always been seen as a fair way better in every other subject, it is a target, many people on here rate it higher than King's, so I'd keep both. You'll get Birmingham, Warwick probably too.

Personally I'd apply to LSE, UCL and King's. People on here have gotten in with worse on here.
Reply 18
Hi :smile:

I am currently a first year undergraduate student reading Law in LSE. I read some of the replies here about rejections and it does sound discouraging but I just wanted to share my experience of securing an offer to study in LSE.

I obtained A*AAB in AS but my predicted grades were A*A*A (decided to drop one subject). I started my EPQ halfway but decided to drop that as well leaving me with only 3 subjects and no EPQ. Now that doesn't seem like a great application right? Somehow I secured an offer anyway so I hope you would not feel demotivated.

I did not score well for my LNAT and I got rejected by both Oxford and UCL by January. My advice is to be careful about applying to UCL for law because they take the multiple choice marks very seriously. King's on the other hand uses LNAT but maybe their cut off point is lower than UCL.

Maybe my case is very rare but I do hope that you would not feel discouraged about having to take 4 A level subjects as well as an EPQ just so you would have a shot of securing an offer here. Focus on writing a strong personal statement. I hope you do consider applying to LSE because in my case, LSE was my life-saver after getting rejected from all the other universities that requires LNAT.

Cheers.
Original post by Hxzwxni
Hi :smile:

I am currently a first year undergraduate student reading Law in LSE. I read some of the replies here about rejections and it does sound discouraging but I just wanted to share my experience of securing an offer to study in LSE.

I obtained A*AAB in AS but my predicted grades were A*A*A (decided to drop one subject). I started my EPQ halfway but decided to drop that as well leaving me with only 3 subjects and no EPQ. Now that doesn't seem like a great application right? Somehow I secured an offer anyway so I hope you would not feel demotivated.

I did not score well for my LNAT and I got rejected by both Oxford and UCL by January. My advice is to be careful about applying to UCL for law because they take the multiple choice marks very seriously. King's on the other hand uses LNAT but maybe their cut off point is lower than UCL.

Maybe my case is very rare but I do hope that you would not feel discouraged about having to take 4 A level subjects as well as an EPQ just so you would have a shot of securing an offer here. Focus on writing a strong personal statement. I hope you do consider applying to LSE because in my case, LSE was my life-saver after getting rejected from all the other universities that requires LNAT.

Cheers.

Out of curiosity, what subjects did you do and did you have anything like work experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending