The Student Room Group

When can I withdraw from a maths module resit?

So, I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for maths, but I took an A2 module at AS and got 83. To therefore get over 90 UMS average in A2, I need to get 93 at least on the three I'm taking this year. To ease that, I'm thinking of retaking it.

However, the other universities I'm applying too don't care at all if I get an A* in Further Maths or not. So, my plan is to withdraw from the retake if I don't get an offer from Cambridge.

So, up to which date can I withdraw? Or what is the latest date I can apply?
Plus, when do Cambridge send out their responses to candidates?
Reply 1
You only need 270 UMS from your best 3 A2 units in FM so it sounds as though this one need not count - but as it's probably one of the easier A2 units it may still be worth re-sitting..

You have to have entered by 21 February. You can withdraw and get a full refund up to 21 April. THose are deadlines at the exam board, your school may well set earlier deadlines to allow them to process everything and meet the exam board deadline.
Reply 2
I was told by my teachers that I need an average of 90+ across all FM A2 modules, not that I needed 270+ in my best 3.
Reply 3
Original post by Heirio
I was told by my teachers that I need an average of 90+ across all FM A2 modules, not that I needed 270+ in my best 3.

I'm afraid they're wrong. The rules are here https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres where it says:
For A level Further Mathematics, A* will be awarded to candidates who have achieved a grade A overall (at least 480 of the 600 maximum uniform mark) and at least 270 of the 300 combined maximum uniform mark for their best three A2 units (whether pure or application units).
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
I'm afraid they're wrong. The rules are here https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres where it says:
For A level Further Mathematics, A* will be awarded to candidates who have achieved a grade A overall (at least 480 of the 600 maximum uniform mark) and at least 270 of the 300 combined maximum uniform mark for their best three A2 units (whether pure or application units).

Huh.
Well, this'll be an interesting chat with my maths teachers, in that case.

Thanks for telling me!
Reply 5
Original post by Heirio
Huh.
Well, this'll be an interesting chat with my maths teachers, in that case.

Thanks for telling me!

No problem - I do work in a school with a significant part of my job being as an exam officer so believe I am a reliable source.
Reply 6
I'll still take the S2 exam again, this information means that my FP2 exam might not actually count towards my final grade. I've bunked an A grade!
Woop!

Quick Reply

Latest