The Student Room Group

How old were you when you did your grade 8?

this goes for any instrument.

I'm 16 and I've been playing the violin for two years, I've done grade 1 and 2 and got a distinction for both and I'm currently working on my grade 4. I've just started collage (Xaverian) and I wanted to join the orchestra but looking around I've come to realise that a lot of people have got their grades already. It blew my mind since I don't know anyone who plays the violin ( or anything for that matter) and has done their grades.

p.s. I don't know how to move this to the music topic forum.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I started piano when I was 9 and did my grade 8 when I was 15, and I'm doing my diploma before my 18th (this summer)
I also play violin in an orchestra and haven't done grades for a while, but as long as you can prove you can play music at the equivalent of the grade the orchestra wants, then it doesn't matter. I play at a grade 6 standard even though I only did grade 1 and 2. Grades are only really there for an idea of what standard you can play to, but some sixth form/local orchestras will look for equivalents if you don't play the grades.
Original post by Caiyren

I'm 16 and I've been playing the violin for two years, I've done grade 1 and 2 and got a distinction for both and I'm currently working on my grade 4. I've just started collage (Xaverian) and I wanted to join the orchestra but looking around I've come to realise that a lot of people have got their grades already. It blew my mind since I don't know anyone who plays the violin ( or anything for that matter) and has done their grades.

I started doing the double bass 2 years ago and now I can play at a grade 8 standard although I haven't done any exams for it.
(to be fair, I had the technique already sorted because I played the cello since year 4)

As long as you practice, you'll get better. Why not sign up to join the orchestra? You'll be placed near the back of the seconds but you'll move up through the ranks of you're determined enough.
Reply 3
Original post by khookie
I started piano when I was 9 and did my grade 8 when I was 15, and I'm doing my diploma before my 18th (this summer)
I also play violin in an orchestra and haven't done grades for a while, but as long as you can prove you can play music at the equivalent of the grade the orchestra wants, then it doesn't matter. I play at a grade 6 standard even though I only did grade 1 and 2. Grades are only really there for an idea of what standard you can play to, but some sixth form/local orchestras will look for equivalents if you don't play the grades.

Thanks. :smile: Good luck on your diploma. also, if you mind me asking, how hard did you find the grade 5 theory. (if you did the abrsm board.)
I was still in the womb m8
Reply 5
Original post by Caiyren
Thanks. :smile: Good luck on your diploma. also, if you mind me asking, how hard did you find the grade 5 theory. (if you did the abrsm board.)

Thank you :smile:

Tbh, I found it pretty hard since I wasn't very motivated to revise it at the time, and I ended with a pass. I didn't really enjoy learning theory so I neglected it. But all the content in the exam was basically in ABRSM's practice book and if you make sure you learn and understand the content then you'll get at least a merit.
Reply 6
Original post by MrDoggyPants
I started doing the double bass 2 years ago and now I can play at a grade 8 standard although I haven't done any exams for it.
(to be fair, I had the technique already sorted because I played the cello since year 4)

As long as you practice, you'll get better. Why not sign up to join the orchestra? You'll be placed near the back of the seconds but you'll move up through the ranks of you're determined enough.

Thanks, I would have rep'ed you, but I rep'ed you elsewhere and it won't let me rep again. (not used to this site.)
Original post by Caiyren
Thanks, I would have rep'ed you, but I rep'ed you elsewhere and it won't let me rep again. (not used to this site.)

It's cool, I'm glad you found my advice helpful!
I sing, and I will be 17 when I sit the grade 8 exam :smile: but with singing it's quite normal to skip grade 7; I know several people who have done it.
Reply 9
Original post by Sonechka
I sing, and I will be 17 when I sit the grade 8 exam :smile: but with singing it's quite normal to skip grade 7; I know several people who have done it.

:biggrin: good luck.

From one to seven? isn't the jump pretty high?
Original post by Caiyren

Hey, I’m 16 and currently working towards my Grade 6 theory and Grade 6 piano (not planning on reaching grade 7/8 in either though–no time!)

Honestly if your music classes in senior school were good then Grade 5 theory is very similar (e.g. I already knew how to do inversions by the time I did my Grade 5 theory in Year 11 because I got taught them in Year 9–I never took GCSE music)

Compared to Grade 6, Grade 5 theory is honestly a breeze; just make sure you understand how to do all the exercises and DO TONS OF PRACTICE PAPERS!!!! All you need to do is get 67/100 at the end of the day!
Original post by Caiyren
:biggrin: good luck.

From one to seven? isn't the jump pretty high?

Thanks! Haha no, I meant that people leave out 7. I did grades 1, 3, 4, 6 and will be doing 8 (plus grade 5 theory).
Reply 12
Original post by Pastelx
Hey, I’m 16 and currently working towards my Grade 6 theory and Grade 6 piano (not planning on reaching grade 7/8 in either though–no time!)

Honestly if your music classes in senior school were good then Grade 5 theory is very similar (e.g. I already knew how to do inversions by the time I did my Grade 5 theory in Year 11 because I got taught them in Year 9–I never took GCSE music)

Compared to Grade 6, Grade 5 theory is honestly a breeze; just make sure you understand how to do all the exercises and DO TONS OF PRACTICE PAPERS!!!! All you need to do is get 67/100 at the end of the day!

Thanks for the advice, i've just went and ordered some past papers to do. good luck with your grade 6.:smile:
Original post by Caiyren

I'm 16 and I'll be doing Grade 7 piano in a few months, so I'm planning to do Grade 8 at 17.
Reply 14
Original post by Kamila_Kamizaki
I'm 16 and I'll be doing Grade 7 piano in a few months, so I'm planning to do Grade 8 at 17.

2dd.jpg wow. good luck :biggrin:.
Original post by Caiyren
2dd.jpg wow. good luck :biggrin:.

lmao thank you, and good luck with grade 4 :h:
Hey I'm 17, did my grade 8 on piano this summer and hoping to do my grade 8 trumpet this christmas :smile:
Original post by Caiyren
,... how hard did you find the grade 5 theory. (if you did the abrsm board.)

Has someone told you that you don't need grade 5 theory? There is an alternative route of taking grade 5 jazz in your instrument.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
Has someone told you that you don't need grade 5 theory? There is an alternative route of taking grade 5 jazz in your instrument.

I do remeber being told that, however I like how the grade 8 violin peices sound. (Weird reason to go through the hassle of theory ik...)

Ps. I had to google what violin jazz sounded like on yt. Not bad XD
Reply 19
Original post by TomSmith12345
Hey I'm 17, did my grade 8 on piano this summer and hoping to do my grade 8 trumpet this christmas :smile:

Damm, its kinnda overwhelming it see how hardworking and talented everyone is. I wish you the best of luck with your grade 8 trumpet. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending