The Student Room Group

HELLPPP predicted grades for oxford

so
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IDEKOKAY
so its getting close to the deadline but I found out today that my predicted grade for physics is an A when I need it to be an A* even though he knew that and he's the one who registered me for the pat. I just don't know if there's any point applying now
I'm just more annoyed he's been wasting my time and I just don't know what to do and it's so close. What do I do? do i apply even though there's an even smaller chance of getting in?

What are your other subjects and predicted grades?

On the website it https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/physics?wssl=1
It says that you need an A* in maths, further maths or physics so as long as you have a predicted A* in one of those, you're ok :smile:
Is he doing out of "cruelty" or because you unfortunately didn't manage to get the grades in the year?
If you think it is the former, then I would go to speak to someone higher in the school because that is just unfair if you are an "A* student".
If it is because you did not get the grades in the year, then he can't give privileges to you just because you want to go to Oxford, but then again, I have no idea what your story is or who you are, so I am not going to judge.
I would still apply, because you never know that you won't do amazingly well in the PAT, get an offer (though it may be relatively high), and blow away an interviewer.

I wish you the very best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Queenie123
What are your other subjects and predicted grades?

On the website it https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/physics?wssl=1
It says that you need an A* in maths, further maths or physics so as long as you have a predicted A* in one of those, you're ok :smile:

It's unfortunately for engineering so i kinda need it for both :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by spingu101
Is he doing out of "cruelty" or because you unfortunately didn't manage to get the grades in the year?
If you think it is the former, then I would go to speak to someone higher in the school because that is just unfair if you are an "A* student".
If it is because you did not get the grades in the year, then he can't give privileges to you just because you want to go to Oxford, but then again, I have no idea what your story is or who you are, so I am not going to judge.
I would still apply, because you never know that you won't do amazingly well in the PAT, get an offer (though it may be relatively high), and blow away an interviewer.

I wish you the very best of luck![/QUOTT

That's sweet Thank you, idek it was just unexpected considering he knew about the A* and iv'e been getting the highest grade i can possibly get in every test, idk
It's unfortunately for engineering so i kinda need it for both :frown:

it says the same thing for the engineering course:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/engineering-science?wssl=1

That you can have just an A in physics as long as you get A* in maths and further maths

So I ask again, what are your other subjects predicted grades?:smile:
Reply 6
so its getting close to the deadline but I found out today that my predicted grade for physics is an A when I need it to be an A* even though he knew that and he's the one who registered me for the pat. I just don't know if there's any point applying now
I'm just more annoyed he's been wasting my time and I just don't know what to do and it's so close. What do I do? do i apply even though there's an even smaller chance of getting in?

Your PAT will be more important than your predictions.
Reply 7
it says the same thing for the engineering course:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/engineering-science?wssl=1

That you can have just an A in physics as long as you get A* in maths and further maths

So I ask again, what are your other subjects predicted grades?:smile:

so
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't do further math, but in math i feel it will be an A* but our stupid school hasn't even got the rest of the teachers to do our references even though the deadlines next week, its just all a big mess

I think you need to talk to your teachers to be honest. Just remember that the predicted grades for the course are set to ensure that all students have are capable of doing the course.
Engineering is very physics based so if you're not getting the A*, do you really want to do three more years of it? Now, I don't know you or your academic capabilities so I can't really tell you what to do, but your teachers know you, so you should talk to them:smile:
Reply 9
I think you need to talk to your teachers to be honest. Just remember that the predicted grades for the course are set to ensure that all students have are capable of doing the course.
Engineering is very physics based so if you're not getting the A*, do you really want to do three more years of it? Now, I don't know you or your academic capabilities so I can't really tell you what to do, but your teachers know you, so you should talk to them:smile:

Yeah you're right ill talk to him on Monday and see how it goes, Thanks <3
Reply 10

I WAS IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION AS YOU (for engineering as well)!! Basically I just kept pestering the guy until he gave in (his main argument was that if I applied to Oxford I’d be too emotional if I didn’t get the offer so he was saving me and he gave an A* to a guy who got lower grades than me last year but whole other can of worms...) talk to head of sixth/ tutors etc as well- especially if your school doesn’t get many Oxbridge-ers they will probably help boost it up. Failing that see if you can shove another subject up- chances are if you’re borderline and you explain the situation to a nicer teacher they might increase your predicted grade. Also https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/ is a great site if you haven’t seen it- can show your teacher the difference in chances if you get an A* or not. Good luck!

I’ve just realised you’ve had loads of replies cause I type really slow!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
are you sure?? i really just don't want to waste an option but the thing is i love the course and everything about it.

Predictions are usually wrong anyway. Actual results are more important.

Also it's just 1 choice out of 5. I advise applying and holding back at least one of your other UCAS choices until after you get your Oxford decision.

You don't have to apply to all 5 at the outset.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by CoraB
I WAS IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION AS YOU (for engineering as well)!! Basically I just kept pestering the guy until he gave in (his main argument was that if I applied to Oxford I’d be too emotional if I didn’t get the offer so he was saving me and he gave an A* to a guy who got lower grades than me last year but whole other can of worms...) talk to head of sixth/ tutors etc as well- especially if your school doesn’t get many Oxbridge-ers they will probably help boost it up. Failing that see if you can shove another subject up- chances are if you’re borderline and you explain the situation to a nicer teacher they might increase your predicted grade. Also https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/ is a great site if you haven’t seen it- can show your teacher the difference in chances if you get an A* or not. Good luck!

I’ve just realised you’ve had loads of replies cause I type really slow!

Dw you're so lovely for replying <3 IK ITS SO ANNOYING, also what a mean guy your teacher was. I've literally emailed my head of sixth form and oxford explaining but ik that A* in physics would properly boost my chances. My other subject is chemistry and I'm not sure how beneficial that would be to . :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Doonesbury
Predictions are usually wrong anyway. Actual results are more important.

Also it's just 1 choice out of 5. I advise applying and holding back at least one of your other UCAS choices until after you get your Oxford decision.

You don't have to apply to all 5 at the outset.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah good point, it's just one reason and don't want that to be the only reason i don't apply. UGHHH its just really annoying

Quick Reply

Latest