The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

UCL, KCL or LSE. Any help would be amazing !

i have A*,A,A in business, economics and IT at A-Level and am currently on a gap year in China before applying next year. I wish to go straight into investment banking what Uni/course would you recommend ?
UCL - IT with management
KCL - International Management with Mandarin
LSE- International Relations

Opinions would be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Jackhud147
i have A*,A,A in business, economics and IT at A-Level and am currently on a gap year in China before applying next year. I wish to go straight into investment banking what Uni/course would you recommend ?
UCL - IT with management

All 3 are good although LSE is the best there.

However the problem is you've taken some pretty crap a levels which means you're unlikely to get into LSE. Maybe the others you'll have a chance.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by friyaa23
All 3 are good although LSE is the best there.

However the problem is you've taken some pretty crap a levels which means you're unlikely to get into LSE. Maybe the others you'll have a chance.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think a degree in international relations is any good for investment banking tho ?
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. Do you think a degree in international relations is any good for investment banking tho ?

Yes it's fine, it's the uni you go to that matters
UCL - IT with management

You're going to have a hard time writing a PS for all three..

What are your other 2 options?
Reply 5
OK thanks. Ill give LSE a go, even tho i agree i didn't pick the ideal A-Levels
Reply 6
Original post by Ze Witcher
You're going to have a hard time writing a PS for all three..

What are your other 2 options?

I know that is a valid point ! Neither KCL or UCL will accept a supplementary personal statement so i may have to risk that i will get an offer from Kings or LSE as i can write a personal statement for those two.

Although i have been told KCL is pretty poor for IB, what do you think ?
I know that is a valid point ! Neither KCL or UCL will accept a supplementary personal statement so i may have to risk that i will get an offer from Kings or LSE as i can write a personal statement for those two.

Don't set your eyes on LSE because you need to have a tailored PS and suitable subject combo - applying to IT at another uni and having economics and business together may hold you back, but I don't know the statistics for international relations.

KCL is alright, doesn't have a great representation for IB as LSE/UCL do, but you have A*AA which will carry a lot of weight.

You'll be fine. Just make sure you make your CV stand out for spring weeks.
Reply 8

KCL is not poor for IB. They're a semi target and there are banks that organise networking events for KCL students (some joint with UCL for example). They're not as good as UCL or LSE but then again UCL and LSE are one of the best ones.
Reply 9
Don't set your eyes on LSE because you need to have a tailored PS and suitable subject combo - applying to IT at another uni and having economics and business together may hold you back, but I don't know the statistics for international relations.

KCL is alright, doesn't have a great representation for IB as LSE/UCL do, but you have A*AA which will carry a lot of weight.

You'll be fine. Just make sure you make your CV stand out for spring weeks.

I believe i would get an offer from UCL as the course is suited to my A-Levels and i have a fair bit of extra curricular experience in the technology area, although i would prefer the course at KCL.

You think best move would be to apply to UCL as it will increase likelihood of IB job prospects
I believe i would get an offer from UCL as the course is suited to my A-Levels and i have a fair bit of extra curricular experience in the technology area, although i would prefer the course at KCL.

You think best move would be to apply to UCL as it will increase likelihood of IB job prospects

You can if you want. There's plenty of other good universities around the UK for IB, have you considered them - I presume London is where you want to be?
You can if you want. There's plenty of other good universities around the UK for IB, have you considered them - I presume London is where you want to be?

Yeah London would be preferred. Why what universities do you think would be good ? Sorry to mither you
Yeah London would be preferred. Why what universities do you think would be good ? Sorry to mither you

Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham etc. There's more, but provided you have a stand out CV - you should be good.
Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham etc. There's more, but provided you have a stand out CV - you should be good.

Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending