The Student Room Group

If I get good grades, can I skip doing a foundation year ?

At the moment, my predicted grades are BCD (quite bad) so I can't really apply to any good unis.

I was thinking of doing a foundation year at a good uni instead. Because the thought of going to a bad uni sickens me.

Thing is, I was thinking, if I got really good grades at the end of year 13 that met the good uni's grade requirements to do a normal degree, could I replace the foundation agree I originally applied for with a normal degree?

Like, would unis let me do that?

Thank you, all responses are appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Bad Uni, good Uni. Either way you will enter an over saturated jobs market.
Best to email the university and ask directly.
Original post by Glitoris
Bad Uni, good Uni. Either way you will enter an over saturated jobs market.

ah okay. my mistake for saying "all responses are appreciated"

first post and you've proven me wrong.

Either answer the question or don't bother posting on my threads.:nn::nn::nn:
Original post by Linsy
Best to email the university and ask directly.

Good idea I'll try that.
Yes
Reply 6
Yes, if you exceed your predicted grades you can use Adjustment on results day to change course/university.
Original post by Petulia
Yes, if you exceed your predicted grades you can use Adjustment on results day to change course/university.

Is "adjustment" the equivalent of the clearing system or something else?
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
At the moment, my predicted grades are BCD (quite bad) so I can't really apply to any good unis.

I was thinking of doing a foundation year at a good uni instead. Because the thought of going to a bad uni sickens me.

Thing is, I was thinking, if I got really good grades at the end of year 13 that met the good uni's grade requirements to do a normal degree, could I replace the foundation agree I originally applied for with a normal degree?

You need to email the uni direct but considering they offer foundation degrees to those who underperform I doubt they would still expect you to do it if you are 'better ' than the course requires come results day.
Original post by Glitoris
If you're getting '****' grades now, why do you think you're capable of getting into a good uni and completing a foundation year?

If you have the attitude that you're 'better than the rest', stop making ridiculous threads on an internet forum and go prove it by improving your grades.

I asked a question and expected a decent answer; and you consider that me acting like I'm better than the rest. Hmm.

I just want answers, and you didn't provide me with that, you made a snarky comment.

I'm tired glitoris. If you don't have a proper answer, why bother posting?
Original post by Miss Charlie
You need to email the uni direct but considering they offer foundation degrees to those who underperform I doubt they would still expect you to do it if you are 'better ' than the course requires come results day.

That would make sense.

Okay, thank you :smile:
I've known some foundation courses to offer the normal length degrees to people who perform much better than expected but it essentially boils down to the uni and the course. Email the uni and try to find out if that's an option. Otherwise there's also adjustment/clearing.
Original post by cookiemonster15
I've known some foundation courses to offer the normal length degrees to people who perform much better than expected but it essentially boils down to the uni and the course. Email the uni and try to find out if that's an option. Otherwise there's also adjustment/clearing.

Thank you!
Is "adjustment" the equivalent of the clearing system or something else?

Adjustment is similar to clearing but with significant differences. It is for students who meet all and exceed at least one condition of their firm offer. They have 5 days to look for a 'better' uni - while doing so, their firm offer remains so it is a risk free process. Unis which don't participate in clearing sometimes are in adjustment.

The downsides are that you can end up at a place you haven't researched properly, and you are unlikely to get accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Adjustment is similar to clearing but with significant differences. It is for students who meet all and exceed at least one condition of their firm offer. They have 5 days to look for a 'better' uni - while doing so, their firm offer remains so it is a risk free process. Unis which don't participate in clearing sometimes are in adjustment.

The downsides are that you can end up at a place you haven't researched properly, and you are unlikely to get accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you, very helpful!!!
Reply 15

Depending what you mean by a "good" uni, you may not meet their requirements for a foundation year. Many unis only offer foundation years to students who took the wrong qualifications, rather than students who took A Levels but performed poorly. You need to research your options carefully.

The other thing to realise is that "good" unis tend to be oversubscribed. It is possible that the unis you're interested in won't have any spaces on the course. Some courses and unis are more competitive than others, but some unis are so popular they do not participate in Clearing/Adjustment at all. You may feel it's better to take a year out and apply with your achieved grades, as then you can apply to any courses you wish.

Adjustment isn't a widely used scheme. Only 890 students got a place through Adjustment in 2016 (it was 1135 in 2015). That may be because people pick their firm choice wisely and then don't want to change, or it may be because of other factors like availability and accommodation.
Original post by Juno
Depending what you mean by a "good" uni, you may not meet their requirements for a foundation year. Many unis only offer foundation years to students who took the wrong qualifications, rather than students who took A Levels but performed poorly. You need to research your options carefully.

The other thing to realise is that "good" unis tend to be oversubscribed. It is possible that the unis you're interested in won't have any spaces on the course. Some courses and unis are more competitive than others, but some unis are so popular they do not participate in Clearing/Adjustment at all. You may feel it's better to take a year out and apply with your achieved grades, as then you can apply to any courses you wish.

Adjustment isn't a widely used scheme. Only 890 students got a place through Adjustment in 2016 (it was 1135 in 2015). That may be because people pick their firm choice wisely and then don't want to change, or it may be because of other factors like availability and accommodation.

Well from the unis that offer foundation years that i've researched (Sussex atm) they allow normal UK students in for a foundation year if they don't have the required grade expectations. But you're right, some Unis do have different reasons for letting students into a foundation year, like Loughborough.

Idk - by good uni i just meant ones that were in a decent ranking in the league tables ( ranked 30th<).

Looks like it's gonna be a tough process.

That's an interesting idea though. taking a year out and then applying. I'll definitely consider it.

Thank you very much, you've been quite helpful :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by username2281303
Well from the unis that offer foundation years that i've researched (Sussex atm) they allow normal UK students in for a foundation year if they don't have the required grade expectations. But you're right, some Unis do have different reasons for letting students into a foundation year, like Loughborough.

Idk - by good uni i just meant ones that were in a decent ranking in the league tables ( ranked 30th<).

Looks like it's gonna be a tough process.

That's an interesting idea though. taking a year out and then applying. I'll definitely consider it.

Thank you very much, you've been quite helpful :smile:

What did you do then? I'm literally in the same position as you were.
Hi there

I see you posted in 2017 and was hoping for guidance as you’ve probably completed your degree! . I’m predicted BBD and would like to do Accounting and Finance. Do you recall finding a list of all good universities who offer a foundation degree or integrated one year into a BA degree.

Any help will be great. Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending