The Student Room Group

Is it okay to secure exhaust with a Jubilee clip ?

One of the reasons my car failed MOT was apparently central exhaust not adequately supported

3. I don't really get why he failed it on this. there was no rattling or noises from underneath as you would expect from an exhaust not adequately supported. I took it to 2 different garages today who had a look and said the exhaust looked fine in that nothing was loose. However they said the exhaust flexi was totally gone and blowing and should have failed, but there was no mention of this on the MOT. I have known about the bad flexi for a while but was going to wait to swap it until MOT unless I thought it got too bad. I was surprised this was not mentioned on the MOT.
I went back the garage who did the MOT today and the guy who did the MOT showed me where he had failed it, it was just before the back box/silencer?? I felt it and it did not feel very loose at all, a hangar or whatever was partially broke but the exhaust was certainly not loose enough to warrant a failure on the list.

I'm not sure the hangar/bracket can come off or if it is fully attached to the exhaust and therefore needs welding or somehow try to put a big jubilee clip/clamp over existing one if possible ??
Original post by Cleverboy1991
One of the reasons my car failed MOT was apparently central exhaust not adequately supported

3. I don't really get why he failed it on this. there was no rattling or noises from underneath as you would expect from an exhaust not adequately supported. I took it to 2 different garages today who had a look and said the exhaust looked fine in that nothing was loose. However they said the exhaust flexi was totally gone and blowing and should have failed, but there was no mention of this on the MOT. I have known about the bad flexi for a while but was going to wait to swap it until MOT unless I thought it got too bad. I was surprised this was not mentioned on the MOT.
I went back the garage who did the MOT today and the guy who did the MOT showed me where he had failed it, it was just before the back box/silencer?? I felt it and it did not feel very loose at all, a hangar or whatever was partially broke but the exhaust was certainly not loose enough to warrant a failure on the list.

I'm not sure the hangar/bracket can come off or if it is fully attached to the exhaust and therefore needs welding or somehow try to put a big jubilee clip/clamp over existing one if possible ??

Whatever happens, in order to use your car legally on the highway, you must have a valid MOT certificate.

Which means you need to have it re-tested and certified as compliant by a registered MOT centre.

Whether you or anyone else thinks it's safe to drive with a jubilee clip is irrelevant.
Original post by uberteknik
Whatever happens, in order to use your car legally on the highway, you must have a valid MOT certificate.

Which means you need to have it re-tested and certified as compliant by a registered MOT centre.

Whether you or anyone else thinks it's safe to drive with a jubilee clip is irrelevant.

sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I've asked would it be okay to secure the exhaust with a jubilee clip, thus to pass it's MOT ?

Yes or no ?

sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I've asked would it be okay to secure the exhaust with a jubilee clip, thus to pass it's MOT ?

Yes or no ?

No.
No.

Why not is it holds the exhaust solid ?
Why not is it holds the exhaust solid ?

That would be up to the test centre to decide. Their MOT station licence depends on the integrity of their testing.

You can try if you like, but be prepared for failure again.
That would be up to the test centre to decide. Their MOT station licence depends on the integrity of their testing.

You can try if you like, but be prepared for failure again.

So would it be best to just have it welded iyo ?
So would it be best to just have it welded iyo ?

Definitely.
Definitely.

I'll try get a different garage to weld it, then take it back to other garage for MOT retest.

How much do you think it would cost ? It is only a very small job with minimal welding required
Reply 9
From a tactical point of view it might be simpler to get the MOT station , if they also do repairs, to repair it. That way they will hardly quibble about how it is repaired if it is their own work, so test pass (barring something else having since failed) is a cert.
It doesn't matter if it's not rattling or loose, if the original bracket is broken then it's not supported properly. If the exhaust isn't supported properly then it's more likely to break or drop down and scrape on the road.

Why can't you just replace the bracket? Or has the hanger rusted off of the exhaust? A new section of exhaust is usually only about £30 so it might be easier just to replace it and have a proper hanger to attach to the rubber. If it's the bracket/rubber then just pick up a proper replacement, rather than fudging something together with a jubilee clip
Original post by Nuffles
It doesn't matter if it's not rattling or loose, if the original bracket is broken then it's not supported properly. If the exhaust isn't supported properly then it's more likely to break or drop down and scrape on the road.

Why can't you just replace the bracket? Or has the hanger rusted off of the exhaust? A new section of exhaust is usually only about £30 so it might be easier just to replace it and have a proper hanger to attach to the rubber. If it's the bracket/rubber then just pick up a proper replacement, rather than fudging something together with a jubilee clip

It's actually the rear exhaust hangar near the back box has corroded but it is still strong and I've since had many mechanics look at it and tell me it should not have failed.

The hangar is part of the exhaust and cannot simply be replaced, looks like a case of welding or replacing the pipe.

How much should it cost to weld the exhaust hangar ? It's already attached but wants securing
It's actually the rear exhaust hangar near the back box has corroded but it is still strong and I've since had many mechanics look at it and tell me it should not have failed.

The hangar is part of the exhaust and cannot simply be replaced, looks like a case of welding or replacing the pipe.

How much should it cost to weld the exhaust hangar ? It's already attached but wants securing

If it's literally just rewelding the rod back on then anything more than £10 is a ripoff as it'd literally be 5 minutes work. Really though the old one should be cut off, the surrounding area ground down to bare metal, and a new section of rod bent and welded in place, which you'd be looking at £20+ for. Although at that kind of price you're almost at the price of a whole new back box section which is around £30 and easy to fit yourself. I fitted a new back box to one of my old cars by parking the off side wheels on a tall curb to give myself enough clearance, after this happened:

Quick Reply

Latest