The Student Room Group

Funding for masters

Hi, I have an HND , a degree and a PGCE. Am I likely to get funding for a masters?
Original post by Jesster84
Hi, I have an HND , a degree and a PGCE. Am I likely to get funding for a masters?

You can have a maximum of 10k loan for masters.
Previous funding is irrelevant. It is paid back at 6% at the 21k threshold. So you'll pay 15% of your income
Reply 2
Thank you. Do you know if there is any other funding available for living costs as I am a lone parent?
Thank you. Do you know if there is any other funding available for living costs as I am a lone parent?

I really don't know. My son took the 10 but got a heavily discounted fee, leaving him 4K to live on
Some course fees are more than 10. You'd be better ringing sfe and the uni to ask about grants etc
Reply 4

You should be claiming tax credits, child benefit, and you may be eligible for housing help too.

Postgrads don't get funding for living costs as such as it's a choice to do a PG course but if you're signed up for one, then you should be able to get these on top of your PG loan. Just bear in mind that Universal Credit is in force in a lot of areas and this is not designed to support a student - I'm on UC and doing an MA and I'm only managing to keep them off my backs as my husband works full time and my youngest is still 3. Having said that, they have taken my loan (the £10k one) and the fees etc, plus expenses into account but I cannot apply for childcare help. You may be required to still look for work/take on part time work, in order to get all of the help as UC is an 'in work' benefit. It depends on your course, and what you can agree with your work coach as well as how old you children are.

I approached my Uni and was told that there is nothing for PG students through them or SFE apart from academic bursaries which you have to apply for and there's no guarantee.
Original post by aimlou83
You should be claiming tax credits, child benefit, and you may be eligible for housing help too.

Postgrads don't get funding for living costs as such as it's a choice to do a PG course but if you're signed up for one, then you should be able to get these on top of your PG loan. Just bear in mind that Universal Credit is in force in a lot of areas and this is not designed to support a student - I'm on UC and doing an MA and I'm only managing to keep them off my backs as my husband works full time and my youngest is still 3. Having said that, they have taken my loan (the £10k one) and the fees etc, plus expenses into account but I cannot apply for childcare help. You may be required to still look for work/take on part time work, in order to get all of the help as UC is an 'in work' benefit. It depends on your course, and what you can agree with your work coach as well as how old you children are.

I approached my Uni and was told that there is nothing for PG students through them or SFE apart from academic bursaries which you have to apply for and there's no guarantee.

Many thanks for this. So were you able to continue getting UC ? Do you know how UC works for a lone parent taking up a fulltime postgraduate degree course funded by the postgraduate loan? Child 4. Would you be requested to work to be able to claim UC?
Original post by Sammylou40
You can have a maximum of 10k loan for masters.
Previous funding is irrelevant. It is paid back at 6% at the 21k threshold. So you'll pay 15% of your income

How do you work that one out?

Aside from the PG loan and other assistance previously mentioned, there is a tiny bit of university bursary/scholarship funding knocking around for tuition fees - don't count on it though, it's rare.
Original post by worldender
How do you work that one out?

Because originally she asked about repayment on top of her undergrad. 9 plus 6 was always 15 when I went to school!
Because originally she asked about repayment on top of her undergrad. 9 plus 6 was always 15 when I went to school!

Yes, but it's 6% of income above the 21k threshold, not 6% of total income. Same with undergrad loans.
Original post by worldender
Yes, but it's 6% of income above the 21k threshold, not 6% of total income. Same with undergrad loans.

It says at 21k threshold. Didn’t think it need repeating in the same sentence
check with your degree uni you should get a discount.
It says at 21k threshold. Didn’t think it need repeating in the same sentence

OK, but '15% of your income' is misleading, that's all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending