The Student Room Group

Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
!:sparta:

Some of the choices are not 'a campus' - you should delete Oxbridge - some of the coilleges are pretty ugly anyway e.g. St Anne's.

Also I doubt that very few people have actually visited ALL of them .. so how can they compare them??
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Oxford, most beautiful uni I've ever seen, specially New College, Christ Church College, Brasenose College etc.

It's not 'a campus' though and what about the ugly colleges?
Tie between Oxford and Cambridge, IMO!

York was a disappointment, compared to the town.

Durham is very beautiful. Glasgow isn't bad, either, although it has some god-awful buildings thrown in the mix of the beautiful historic ones. No idea what possessed architects in the 60s and after. I like Edinburgh campus but it's highly integrated into the city and Edinburgh itself is very beautiful, so that helps. St Andrews I liked.

Original post by J-SP
An honourable mention for not being beautiful?

It has that very unfortunate look of being built somewhere between 1960-1990 feel to it for me.

The old buildings are hideous. The newer stuff is a bit better and the university has very beautiful premises, but the main campus I would agree is in need of a good demolition and rebuild.

Again, the town itself is quaint, but the university's buildings are an eyesore.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Most universities that are truly one "campus" are pretty ugly where they are purpose made, out of the main town/city structures. Any university with a decent level of history tends to be scattered across parts of the city or town.

I think we can use the term campus as just the broad term of a university site for the purpose of this poll. Otherwise most of the universities mentioned are actually eliminated.

Exeter has what I would describe as 'a campus'.hence why I voted for it.
I'd agree on that. :biggrin:

Original post by J-SP
Agreed - a bit like York. The town/city is far better than the campus. Same could be said for Durham. Parts of Durham as a town/city are beautiful but the university itself is pretty bluerghhhh.

I think Durham has the advantage of still having some beautiful architecture to its name. Lancaster literally has none. It's all really ugly modern buildings, barring the newer premises, which are passable. Whatever architectural movement spawned these monstrosities, I will be glad to see it excised from history books!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Except it has multiple locations. So is not "one campus"

Streatham is an eye sore.

St Luke's is somewhat better

Penryn is all very modern and swish, but lacks character. However like St Andrews, it benefits of having a beach (and a very pretty one at that).

The campus of the actual university is Streatham - St Luke's is 'associated' but separate - Penryn is also associated. Applications are separate so, imho, they are not the 'same' uni.
Reply 46
Clearly Warwick
Original post by J-SP
But even under your claim, Streatham < St Lukes < Penryn

?What does that mean? There are no numbers to use inequality signs.
I attend Bristol but I don't know why it's up there. Aside from the splendor of the Wills building, it really shouldn't be there.
Original post by J-SP
So you lack imagination as well as an eye for beauty 😉

No... I just know how to use unequality signs and it is not where you have done.
Original post by J-SP
Except it has multiple locations. So is not "one campus"

Streatham is an eye sore.

St Luke's is somewhat better

Penryn is all very modern and swish, but lacks character. However like St Andrews, it benefits of having a beach (and a very pretty one at that).

Penryn also benefits from having one mini Tesco and the excitement of a pauper's funeral.

Exeter is not nearly as spread out as Oxbridge. The vast majority of its uni buildings are all in one place, with the medical building in a separate building 20 mins away from Streatham (at St Luke's). But a building does not make a campus. Penryn obviously doesn't count as it's 100 miles away, and the people who go there are the weirdos.
Original post by J-SP
Indeed - the benefits of being in a fairly small town rather than a city means that universities are often more clustered together.

Are you talking about Exeter? The buildings aren't spread across town, though. They're not in town at all; they're all on one sequestered campus, barring a medical school which ceremoniously calls itself a campus.
Reply 52
Original post by TCA2b
Tie between Oxford and Cambridge, IMO!

I like Edinburgh campus but it's highly integrated into the city

There is no Edinburgh campus, it is spread all over the place, you have Old College, New College, George Square, which is nothing to write home about, you have Teviot Row, McEwan Hall, Staff club in Chambers Street, Pleasance, Kings Buildings, Holyrood etc etc. What it does have is one of the better cities around it but frankly, and I say this as a graduate and a resident, it is not , university wise, that stunning.

Kings at Aberdeen is imho prettier but then one lifts one's gaze and spots the other bits around it, same with St Andrews, some parts are great but again it would be hard to say that either Computer Science of Geosciences were housed in stunning buildings, they are not.
Original post by J-SP
I know - I wasn't suggesting that the university was spread across the town. I was suggesting it's location (e.g. A small town in the middle of nowhere) makes it easier to find an empty space big enough to build a university campus.

That's even more offensive. It is a city, not a puny town! Immemorial and proudly so.

Its location also provides its selling point, the trees and the squirrels, and views of the Devonshire countryside.
Original post by J-SP
Also helps the university has no history being so new. Not like it's taken centuries to develop and grow around the "city" 😂

Try as you might, I am not able to be wound up. I already have a mental image of you in stilettos and a tight little black dress, hobbling around looking lost and slightly anxious. My day is made.

Though, you have said both unis I have attended are visually ****. Won't lie, hurt for a second.
Original post by J-SP
Your creepiness levels just outdid themselves. You sound like a rapist describing their crime scene 😖

I try.

Well, I think I adequately derailed the thread. My work here is done. Good day, everyone.
Original post by J-SP
That fact you are proud of it is even more disturbing 🤢

Oh, I am sorry. I would offer a hug to cheer you up, but I fear it would not help :frown:
Exeter will always be my #1 :daydreaming:

Keele has a gorgeous campus too, shame it's in the middle of nowhere
Original post by Muttley79
Some of the choices are not 'a campus' - you should delete Oxbridge - some of the coilleges are pretty ugly anyway e.g. St Anne's.

Also I doubt that very few people have actually visited ALL of them .. so how can they compare them??
Poll is taken from the linked article the in OP.:u:

Take it up with them.:tongue:
Original post by 04MR17
Poll is taken from the linked article the in OP.:u:

Take it up with them.:tongue:

You don't have to include the ones in the article - be a free thinker. Oxbridge is made up of colleges - it is not a campus.

Quick Reply

Latest