The Student Room Group

A-level exams taken before or after application?

Hey. Is there any chance to apply to a university like UCL and to take your A-level exams after you apply? For example, if I want to start studying there in October 2018, can I take the A-level exams until then or they should have been taken before 15th of October 2017 (application deadline). This fall I became interested in applying to a UK university and I really don't know if there's any chance left for me..
No, that's not necessary - normally UK students apply in the fall of their final year of school, and take their final A-level exams the summer exam session after they apply. As a result any offers of admission are normally conditional on achieving stipulated targets.

You would be applying in the same way as everyone else if you did so, so that would be perfectly acceptable :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CrLeft
Hey. Is there any chance to apply to a university like UCL and to take your A-level exams after you apply? For example, if I want to start studying there in October 2018, can I take the A-level exams until then or they should have been taken before 15th of October 2017 (application deadline). This fall I became interested in applying to a UK university and I really don't know if there's any chance left for me..

You need to meet the offer by August 31st 2018. This means that you must achieve the required grades by then. If you're taking A Levels in summer 2018, that's the standard route for applicants. You'll include the A Levels on your UCAS application and put that grades are "pending", and will then receive a conditional offer from the unis.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
You need to meet the offer by August 31st 2018. This means that you must achieve the required grades by then. If you're taking A Levels in summer 2018, that's the standard route for applicants. You'll include the A Levels on your UCAS application and put that grades are "pending", and will then receive a conditional offer from the unis.

Thank You! What about the language exam?
Reply 4
Original post by CrLeft
Thank You! What about the language exam?

IELTS or similar would be the same arrangements - you need to meet the required standard and have the results by 31st August. You'll need to ensure that you take the test early enough to have the results and be able to send them to the university in time. Ideally, you should aim to have taken the test by July at the latest, although if you want to take it earlier you can. Some people like to take it before the A Level exams, so that it's done and you don't have to worry about it.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
No, that's not necessary - normally UK students apply in the fall of their final year of school, and take their final A-level exams the summer exam session after they apply. As a result any offers of admission are normally conditional on achieving stipulated targets.

You would be applying in the same way as everyone else if you did so, so that would be perfectly acceptable :smile:

Thanks a lot!:smile: And as I saw in the UCAS application form, there was something about funding. Can I choose the "Student finance " (from UK gov) even if I haven't applied for this yet?
And BMAT..Can you take the BMAT on September/November 2018 or is it mandatory to take it next month (2nd of November) for 2018 medicine entry? This week I found out that this has to be taken and I don't have enough time to study for it. I am not from UK..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
IELTS or similar would be the same arrangements - you need to meet the required standard and have the results by 31st August. You'll need to ensure that you take the test early enough to have the results and be able to send them to the university in time. Ideally, you should aim to have taken the test by July at the latest, although if you want to take it earlier you can. Some people like to take it before the A Level exams, so that it's done and you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks a lot! And as I saw in the UCAS application form, there was something about funding. Can I choose the "Student finance " (from UK gov) even if I haven't applied for this yet?
And BMAT..Can you take the BMAT on September/November 2018 or is it mandatory to take it next month (2nd of November) for 2018 medicine entry? This week I found out that this has to be taken and I don't have enough time to study for it. I am not from UK..
Reply 7
Original post by CrLeft
Thanks a lot! And as I saw in the UCAS application form, there was something about funding. Can I choose the "Student finance " (from UK gov) even if I haven't applied for this yet?

You would only need to take the BMAT if you are applying for one of the unis and courses that require this. You can see the list here and here. It is only for medicine degrees. Unfortunately, if you want to apply to a university that requires BMAT you would need to take it November 2017. You can't take an admissions test after you have started the degree.

You would need to check if you are eligible for student finance. It sounds like you're not from the UK, so are unlikely to be eligible. If you are eligible, you can choose the option and apply for finance later. But it's more likely you would need to apply for finance from your own country, or have financial support from your family.
Original post by CrLeft

That depends on whether you're eligible for SFE. I'm probably not the best for advising on SFE funding as I always ended up submitting my applications late...
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
You would only need to take the BMAT if you are applying for one of the unis and courses that require this. You can see the list here and here. It is only for medicine degrees. Unfortunately, if you want to apply to a university that requires BMAT you would need to take it November 2017. You can't take an admissions test after you have started the degree.

You would need to check if you are eligible for student finance. It sounds like you're not from the UK, so are unlikely to be eligible. If you are eligible, you can choose the option and apply for finance later. But it's more likely you would need to apply for finance from your own country, or have financial support from your family.

Ok, I get it. Thank you for your answers!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest