The Student Room Group

Why can’t I get physics

Well basically I’m 13 and I stupidly let me mum and dad force me into taking physics as a subject, I’ve always hated the subject as to why I’m so SO bad at it , like really bad, but even though they knew this they still made me take it :,) so now I have a freakin test on wed and I know absolutely nothing like you can ask me the easiest question about it and wouldn’t know. And now I just looked through the whole revision sheet and it looks like a foreign language to me, I couldn’t answer one thing. so now I’m lying in my bed crying and freaking out and feeling done with life because I honestly don’t know what to do, I’ve tried really hard to revise and it litteraly goes in one ear and out the other. I told my mum and she just has a massive rant at me which is absolutely no help. So I don’t know what to do . Please helllp.
Original post by Anonymous
Well basically I’m 13 and I stupidly let me mum and dad force me into taking physics as a subject, I’ve always hated the subject as to why I’m so SO bad at it , like really bad, but even though they knew this they still made me take it :,) so now I have a freakin test on wed and I know absolutely nothing like you can ask me the easiest question about it and wouldn’t know. And now I just looked through the whole revision sheet and it looks like a foreign language to me, I couldn’t answer one thing. so now I’m lying in my bed crying and freaking out and feeling done with life because I honestly don’t know what to do, I’ve tried really hard to revise and it litteraly goes in one ear and out the other. I told my mum and she just has a massive rant at me which is absolutely no help. So I don’t know what to do . Please helllp.

Since when was Physics optional at 13? In every school I know of, you have to do some form of science (which includes physics) until you're 16.

Tell her that you're the one doing the subject, not them. It's better to get a good grade in a subject you enjoy than a poor grade in Physics. And ask them why they're so adamant you do it. Worst comes to worst, tell your teacher about the situation.

I could never get physics. You really need to sit down with your parents and tell them you're not happy doing this. Your parents should not force you to do a subject because it's not them who have to do it it's you. There's no point you doing a subject you can't do because you're not going to do well. Not everyone's brains work the same way some people physically aren't made to do well at things like physics and your parents forcing you to do it isn't helping anyone

Original post by EmmaRebecca1997
Not everyone's brains work the same way some people physically aren't made to do well at things like physics and your parents forcing you to do it isn't helping anyone

I'll agree that forcing someone to do a subject that they don't like isn't typically a good move. If you could put aside your conviction that you hate it, or can't do well in it, you might get somewhere.

However, I do not accept your claim that some people will never be able to do well in a subject. It's an excuse that those that don't want to put in the effort to understand a subject often use, but I don't buy it. Everyone has experience of basic physics.

Understanding takes effort, but once you make that effort, you will get it. There are so many online resources, giving different explanations for any subject, that you will be able to find one(s) that you will be able to follow.
Original post by RogerOxon
I'll agree that forcing someone to do a subject that they don't like isn't typically a good move. If you could put aside your conviction that you hate it, or can't do well in it, you might get somewhere.

However, I do not accept your claim that some people will never be able to do well in a subject. It's an excuse that those that don't want to put in the effort to understand a subject often use, but I don't buy it. Everyone has experience of basic physics.

Understanding takes effort, but once you make that effort, you will get it. There are so many online resources, giving different explanations for any subject, that you will be able to find one(s) that you will be able to follow.

It's not an excuse it's basic biology. People's brains work in different ways. Some people are more dispositioned to quickly understand numerical things easily and those kinds of people are good at things like maths and physics and other technical subjects. Some people are more dispositioned to be better at more creatively based subjects such as Languages, Literature, humanities etc. It's not an excuse. It's down to which parts of your brain are more dominant. Not everyone's brain works in the same way. Forcing yourself to try and master something you're not dispositioned to is incredibly difficult and it's unlikely that you will ever be as good at that thing as someone who is dispositioned towards that thing. Not saying it's impossible for you to do well in something you're not dispositioned towards, just you will struggle and are unlikely to get as far as someone to whom it comes naturally. There is no shame in that it's just not who you are, hence why you shouldn't be forced to take a subject when you have the choice that you struggle immensely with because you're much likely to do better if you play to your strengths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending