The Student Room Group

How much did you spend?

I’ve been thinking about how much to budget for.
What things do you buy before going to uni like laptops monitors for your room and stuff like that

I plan to buy them when I get there so it’s easier no need to transport loads of stuff

How much did you spend within the first few weeks including accommodation? And what things did you buy?
Ok, let me give you some solid advice - stop planning! Don't buy things because you think you will need them. Buy ONLY when you need them. I bought a printed because who would go to uni without a printer - thinking about all the printing you will be doing! Turns out, 90% is electronic now and the remains 10% needs to be printed and bonded in a special way so you go to the uni library to do it. Not only did I waste my money on a bloody printer - but I had to lug it around for a few years and stubbed my toe on it at least once a month.

When you do need to buy something, buy the cheapest one that will the do the job, and try and get one that doesn't' take up space. All the little things add up - especially when it comes to moving around. Instead of getting an office staples - get the mini stapler - does the same job and is smaller and cheaper.

As for a laptop - this would be the only thing I would advice spending money on. Consider it an investment. Get one that will last you 4 years minimum - get yours external hard drives for backing up your laptop and maybe get insurance on it to. Your whole degree will be on this.

Everything else you should be ready to trash at any given time and not shed a tear over.
Reply 2
Original post by Readytostudy1232
Ok, let me give you some solid advice - stop planning! Don't buy things because you think you will need them. Buy ONLY when you need them. I bought a printed because who would go to uni without a printer - thinking about all the printing you will be doing! Turns out, 90% is electronic now and the remains 10% needs to be printed and bonded in a special way so you go to the uni library to do it. Not only did I waste my money on a bloody printer - but I had to lug it around for a few years and stubbed my toe on it at least once a month.

When you do need to buy something, buy the cheapest one that will the do the job, and try and get one that doesn't' take up space. All the little things add up - especially when it comes to moving around. Instead of getting an office staples - get the mini stapler - does the same job and is smaller and cheaper.

As for a laptop - this would be the only thing I would advice spending money on. Consider it an investment. Get one that will last you 4 years minimum - get yours external hard drives for backing up your laptop and maybe get insurance on it to. Your whole degree will be on this.

Everything else you should be ready to trash at any given time and not shed a tear over.

thanks a lot i think i will stop this planning and head to uni with my bag with documents and i will be things i need when i realise i actually need them. i already have external hard disj with all my primary school work :smile: i will invest in a macair, even though it might not run every software so i might get a small pc i defo wont be buying anything now and will just buy when i get there
Original post by wolto
thanks a lot i think i will stop this planning and head to uni with my bag with documents and i will be things i need when i realise i actually need them. i already have external hard disj with all my primary school work :smile: i will invest in a macair, even though it might not run every software so i might get a small pc i defo wont be buying anything now and will just buy when i get there

No worries, also, maybe get a MacBook pro instead of an air - better specs, will last longer and most people think you need an air to bring to lectures - a MacBook pro is more than light enough - also, it will handle almost anything and might save you the cost of getting a pc as well. - I carried around both a pc and a MacBook pro because i got the pc first and then MacBook pro. If I'd had the mac first - would have never bought the pc. Again - if you need a pc - you cane always grab one later on.
Reply 4
Original post by Readytostudy1232
No worries, also, maybe get a MacBook pro instead of an air - better specs, will last longer and most people think you need an air to bring to lectures - a MacBook pro is more than light enough - also, it will handle almost anything and might save you the cost of getting a pc as well. - I carried around both a pc and a MacBook pro because i got the pc first and then MacBook pro. If I'd had the mac first - would have never bought the pc. Again - if you need a pc - you cane always grab one later on.

Exactly what I thought a pc to handle windows based projects and Mäç to handle iOS but guess the Mac pro will be worth it and I will set up a dual boot if it won’t affect he performance, what course did you take at uni? I looked at windows laptops but they are too heavy and for the price it’s way too similar to apple laptops the surface pro looks good but cost like 1k for decent specs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending