The Student Room Group

Law

Can I become a History Secondary School teacher with a degree in Law (M100)?
Original post by Dragon5555

Might wanna check what forums you post in - why is this even in relationships??
And yes you probably can
Reply 3
yes probably, a degree in law is very diverse and can be applicable to most subjects.
Reply 4
I doubt it, well certainly in Scotland, but you should make enquiries with the relevant authorities. No idea exact position but do recall that when my wife was considering teaching she required an honours degree in the subject (in her case history) to teach upper secondary, which she had covered with a joint honours History & Politics degree

See below:

http://www.gtcs.org.uk/TeacherJourney/secondary-teaching.aspx

There are three ways you can qualify to become a secondary school teacher in Scotland:

The one-year Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) which can be completed after gaining a degree in the subject you wish to teach

Part-time or distance learning PGDE courses, usually done in partnership with certain local authorities

The four-year undergraduate combined degree programme in subjects such as music, physical education and technology at a Scottish university.

Rest of UK may be different of course.
No, you can't.

They want a degree with at least 50% focus on history.

Most likely not. For Secondary PGCEs, they usually require at least 50% of your degree to be in that subject - so History & Law (if such a thing were to exist) would be fine, but 100% Law would not.

You could theoretically convince them that you've got enough subject knowledge but you'd be very unlikely to get a PGCE place, as History is quite competitive.
What about becoming a secondary school or level 3 Law teacher in the UK?
What about becoming a secondary school or level 3 Law teacher in the UK?

There are not nearly as many and it's a difficult life. Though, yes, you could do that.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
There are not nearly as many and it's a difficult life. Though, yes, you could do that.

Big do you know whether it is fine to mention a Cambridge law-related lecture in a law personal statement being used to apply to elsewhere (not Cambridge)? The lecture was useful, but I want to know if this would put off the universities I apply to. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending