The Student Room Group

Trouble with A level Options

Currently I'm choosing my A levels. I would like to study Classics at uni, which means I'm having a hard time picking which ones to choose between History, Latin, English Lit, Philosophy and Classical Civilisation. I heard that Classical Civ is a 'soft' subject. Any thoughts?

But I'm worried that by doing all humanity subjects I may be limiting my options in the future, so I thought about Economics. But I'm rubbish at my Maths and my Sciences.

I'm getting a lot of mixed messages. Some say do what I love, but others say that I need to be sensible about my choices.

Help? Any advice?
Original post by Lydiagr_
Currently I'm choosing my A levels. I would like to study Classics at uni, which means I'm having a hard time picking which ones to choose between History, Latin, English Lit, Philosophy and Classical Civilisation. I heard that Classical Civ is a 'soft' subject. Any thoughts?

But I'm worried that by doing all humanity subjects I may be limiting my options in the future, so I thought about Economics. But I'm rubbish at my Maths and my Sciences.

I'm getting a lot of mixed messages. Some say do what I love, but others say that I need to be sensible about my choices.

Help? Any advice?

What universities are you looking at?
For Oxford, you need Latin or Greek https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/classics?wssl=1
Maths or any science is not required
Warwick also prefers a modern or ancient language https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/q820/
Reply 3
Original post by Queenie123
What universities are you looking at?
For Oxford, you need Latin or Greek https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/classics?wssl=1
Maths or any science is not required

I'm not really thinking of Oxford. I'm more looking at Cambridge, Durham and KCL.
I'm not really thinking of Oxford. I'm more looking at Cambridge, Durham and KCL.

I dont think Cambridge has a Classic Civ course
Just look at the websites of those unis and look at their required and preferred subjects
Reply 5
Original post by Queenie123
I dont think Cambridge has a Classic Civ course
Just look at the websites of those unis and look at their required and preferred subjects

What I'm asking is not really a uni problem as I've already done some research. I'm having issues picking good A level subjects.
Reply 6

Help? Any advice?

Latin is probably the most useful of those subjects, though they all would be good options, so just do whichever ones you prefer. There's nothing wrong with only doing humanities, especially if you'll get better grades in those. Good luck with making you choices :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by t.64
Latin is probably the most useful of those subjects, though they all would be good options, so just do whichever ones you prefer. There's nothing wrong with only doing humanities, especially if you'll get better grades in those. Good luck with making you choices :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest