The Student Room Group

Rearranging equations help, GCSEs were a decade ago

Hello,

I went back into education after a while away and I need help with rearranging equations. Here is the example I'm trying to rearrange:
R/r = sqrt(f+p)/(f-p)
Attachment not found

I need to rearrange for f.

So far this is what I've done:
kkjnjhfd.PNG

I have tried to move forward in various ways and none of them work. I actually managed to get rid of f somehow which is clearly not ideal. Any help would be appreciated but I really need some detailed advice. I can't continue to spend hours rearranging things and getting nowhere.
Reply 1
Next multiply both sides by r^2. Expand the brackets, then collect f terms on one side of the equals sign.

Let me know if u have any more questions or need further help
Original post by whatever24

So far this is what I've done:
kkjnjhfd.PNG

I could be missing something here but you've literally done it? now all you have to do is subtract p from both sides and you have f on it's own = the rest of the equation ???????
Reply 3
Original post by econflower
I could be missing something here but you've literally done it? now all you have to do is subtract p from both sides and you have f on it's own = the rest of the equation ???????

Assuming the OP need some to make f the subject, you can't have f on both sides of the equation.
Original post by Notnek
Assuming the OP need some to make f the subject, you can't have f on both sides of the equation.

How did i manage to miss seeing the f on the left?! haha my bad
20171007_175028.jpgfrom what you've done
f =[p(r^2+R^2)]/(R^2-r^2)
Reply 7
Thank you everyone! Thank you for replying so quickly as well :smile:
Reply 8
A reminder to everyone : full solutions are not allowed in the maths forum. Please read the posting guidelines at the top of the forum. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest