The Student Room Group

Anyone else worried about getting 4 rejections?

So I sent my application off to medical schools on Friday. I can't help but feel really worried about getting 4 rejections due to my UKCAT score which is in the 3rd percentile. I have applied wisely despite this but since I've gone for personal statement heavy unis, competition is high and it's very subjective. Because of this worry and doubt, I feel like I'm becoming demotivated to study since I may not even get an offer and everyone else around me seems to have higher stats,

I'm not making this thread for pity, just wanted to know if anyone else was feeling similar so maybe we could motivate each other? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Definitely same here. My score is in the 6th decile, yet I can't help but feel like there's just so many people out there with amazing 700+ averages - so terrifying!
Personally, I chose GCSE-heavy unis and two BMAT unis, so I hope to do well in that exam as well. We can't do much about it now, though, so don't worry and just enjoy the moment :smile: Plus, there's always another year!
Original post by DesperateMedic
Definitely same here. My score is in the 6th decile, yet I can't help but feel like there's just so many people out there with amazing 700+ averages - so terrifying!
Personally, I chose GCSE-heavy unis and two BMAT unis, so I hope to do well in that exam as well. We can't do much about it now, though, so don't worry and just enjoy the moment :smile: Plus, there's always another year!

Thankyou! Yes I know but the thought of all my friends going to uni whilst I'm sat at home retaking the UKCAT doesn't sit well with me! :smile: Aww I'm sure you'll do amazing - 6th decile is still really good for your UKCAT too. Good luck with your application!
Original post by hopefulmedic101
Thankyou! Yes I know but the thought of all my friends going to uni whilst I'm sat at home retaking the UKCAT doesn't sit well with me! :smile: Aww I'm sure you'll do amazing - 6th decile is still really good for your UKCAT too. Good luck with your application!

Good luck to you too! I think you shouldn't compare yourself to them, as it's all only about you after all. Their success shouldn't change the way you see yourself, for it is not healthy, and the definition of success is quite relative too. Let's enjoy this ride and see what happens now :smile:

Fingers crossed for both of us!
I feel you.
bumping this
im a first year medic and it seems at my uni there are so many ppl who had to take a gap year and reapply. don't worry if you get 4/4 rejections. just make sure you get the grades this year.
Original post by sortmeoutgeezer
im a first year medic and it seems at my uni there are so many ppl who had to take a gap year and reapply. don't worry if you get 4/4 rejections. just make sure you get the grades this year.

Thank you! Which medical school do you go to, may I ask? :smile:
what medical schools did you apply to if you are in third decile
Original post by Rachelod21
what medical schools did you apply to if you are in third decile

Bristol and Keele along with Manchester and Newcastle through the partners scheme. :smile:
Yooo

I had a friend just last year in a similar position to you having a below 'average' UKCAT, but because of her Gcse's, High a level predictions and a solid personal statement she got an interview from UOB - later getting an unconditional offer. Just read this thread and thought I'd let you all know as I know how stressful it can get just anxiously waiting haha

==disclaimer a lot of my friends also had to take a gap year and reapply, so it depends on the overall application.
Thank you! Which medical school do you go to, may I ask? :smile:

barts and I've heard the same from my friends at Imperial, Liverpool, UCL, Bristol
Bristol and Keele along with Manchester and Newcastle through the partners scheme. :smile:

you'll get rejected by Manchester sadly
what did u get at gcse
you'll get rejected by Manchester sadly

Manchester say they take a holistic approach to applicants who aren't in the top deciles and since the rest of my stats are pretty okay, I thought I'd go for it. I also have a widening participation flag.
Original post by Rachelod21
what did u get at gcse

5A* and 5A's :smile:
Manchester say they take a holistic approach to applicants who aren't in the top deciles and since the rest of my stats are pretty okay, I thought I'd go for it. I also have a widening participation flag.

sorry I have just seen that they have changed their selection process for 2018 entry. last year when I applied it was not like this. good luck, a nice easy interview awaits you if you get one :smile:
sorry I have just seen that they have changed their selection process for 2018 entry. last year when I applied it was not like this. good luck, a nice easy interview awaits you if you get one :smile:

Thats okay and thankyou! I really hope so :smile:
bump
I feel exactly the same, and it stresses me out that I might get flat-out rejections without interviews. I'm Scottish and have 5As at higher (which is what counts academically for the Scottish unis), but I couldn't take advanced biology and I'm stressing that it means I couldn't apply to and English unis if this cycle doesn't work out.

(Having said that, I wouldn't really be able to afford uni in England. just got to hope I guess!)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending