The Student Room Group

I feel out of depth with a levels and struggling to cope.

I am finding a levels extremely difficult,especially the fact that my school only has 4 hours per subject teaching time so there is a lot of independent study and Im struggling to learn the content and find it hard to understand and the textbook is useless and the fact my school won't allow us do 3 a levels but forces us to do 4 is making life even more hard!I feel like the new specification is so so much more harder then the old one.Im doing biology,chemistry,maths and economics but might be changing economics to physics.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1502
I am finding a levels extremely difficult,especially the fact that my school only has 4 hours per subject teaching time so there is a lot of independent study and Im struggling to learn the content and find it hard to understand and the textbook is useless and the fact my school won't allow us do 3 a levels but forces us to do 4 is making life even more hard!I feel like the new specification is so so much more harder then the old one.Im doing biology,chemistry,maths and economics but might be changing economics to physics.

Have you considered asking your parents to ask the school to allow you to do 3 A-levels instead? If this isn't possible, I'd say you have two options: move sixth form or buckle down and try to cope with the workload. The thing with A-level revision is you need to find a method that works best for you. What type of learner are you? Do you enjoy videos? Do you enjoy moving around whilst learning? Answering these questions can help you find an effective method of revision.

As a general rule of thumb, never rely on only one resource for your revision, as it always helps to receive the same information from two or more sources. One source may be better than the other for a particular topic. I'm assuming you're in year 12, please don't get too disheartened about all of this, seek support from those close to you, as well as us, to help you get through this.:smile:
Original post by HotDetermination
Have you considered asking your parents to ask the school to allow you to do 3 A-levels instead? If this isn't possible, I'd say you have two options: move sixth form or buckle down and try to cope with the workload. The thing with A-level revision is you need to find a method that works best for you. What type of learner are you? Do you enjoy videos? Do you enjoy moving around whilst learning? Answering these questions can help you find an effective method of revision.

As a general rule of thumb, never rely on only one resource for your revision, as it always helps to receive the same information from two or more sources. One source may be better than the other for a particular topic. I'm assuming you're in year 12, please don't get too disheartened about all of this, seek support from those close to you, as well as us, to help you get through this.:smile:

Videos got me through my GCSE but struggling to find good videos for a levels.I found ma chem guy for chemistry he seems ok.For maths i cannot find anything that is good maths genie is too basic for the sort of difficult questions that I come across it is only good for basic concepts.For biology cannot find any good videos at all.

I learn best using videos and writing down notes and re watching videos, but there are not many videos available for a level this is especially a problem with biology, not so much with chemistry but it is an issue also with mats as there are hardly any videos for the new spec and the old spec ones don't cover the high end complex stuff.I asked about 3 a levels and the head of sixth form said no,the school gets really mean if you try and drop one a level in year 13,its ridiculous if you ask me.I just hate the textbook and the only other resource for biology is bio fact sheet but not sure if it it is for me as I prefer videos and it has a bit too much detail.My mom doesn't understand the difficulty and doesn't listen to anything I say and people in school the other students lack understanding too and just tell me Im being negative :/ or are also struggling.Maths is a complete nightmare for em since the teacher is atrocious and when I ask for help the answers I get aren't that helpful and all the teacher does is give question sheets to do and they don't teach us at all anything,they just expect us to know stuff!
Videos got me through my GCSE but struggling to find good videos for a levels.I found ma chem guy for chemistry he seems ok.For maths i cannot find anything that is good maths genie is too basic for the sort of difficult questions that I come across it is only good for basic concepts.For biology cannot find any good videos at all.

Try Examsolutions.net for maths. Theres plenty of videos to help you with everything on the maths A-level specifications. Its what helped me through out my time in sixth form

I do the same as you but might just be dropping economics. Is that 4 hours a week you have if each subject?
Original post by Reece.W.J
I do the same as you but might just be dropping economics. Is that 4 hours a week you have if each subject?

Yes, 4 hours per subject every week, which is quite little as I know in other school there is 5 hours per subject.And the teachers keep setting me work and questions on stuff we never covered in class especially chemistry, for complex calculations like amounts of substances I can do basics but not such complex level questions that are set.
Yes, 4 hours per subject every week, which is quite little as I know in other school there is 5 hours per subject.And the teachers keep setting me work and questions on stuff we never covered in class especially chemistry, for complex calculations like amounts of substances I can do basics but not such complex level questions that are set.

Well at my school we have a two week timetable with 9 hours per subject and I don't find it that bad
Original post by Reece.W.J
Well at my school we have a two week timetable with 9 hours per subject and I don't find it that bad

Still more lesson time then me so you have the equivalent of 4 hours and 30 minutes per subject per week.

Depending on your exam board, try out E-Rintoul on YouTube. The videos he makes are pretty good, but they don't go into a good amount of depth all the time. Mr Pollock on YouTube is okay, but his content isn't very thorough. Have you head of SnapRevise? They do videos for a variety of subjects which are pretty comprehensive, with the only catch being that you have to pay to access the videos. There are a couple of free videos at the beginning of every subject, so take a look at those and consider whether or not the investment is worth it.

Edit: Oh, and like a fellow user commented above, ExamSolutions is a very good maths resource. If you're ever confused, use him. Ultimately it's your choice how you revise, you need to become more independent with your decisions. Do some more research for maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
Depending on your exam board, try out E-Rintoul on YouTube. The videos he makes are pretty good, but they don't go into a good amount of depth all the time. Mr Pollock on YouTube is okay, but his content isn't very thorough. Have you head of SnapRevise? They do videos for a variety of subjects which are pretty comprehensive, with the only catch being that you have to pay to access the videos. There are a couple of free videos at the beginning of every subject, so take a look at those and consider whether or not the investment is worth it.

Edit: Oh, and like a fellow user commented above, ExamSolutions is a very good maths resource. If you're ever confused, use him. Ultimately it's your choice how you revise, you need to become more independent with your decisions. Do some more research for maths.

I know about e rintoul and mr pollock.I have used exam solutions before, but there are just some problems I can never find answers online on how to solve them.I heard of snap revise but Im sceptical if the videos are any good.Im not sure if some of the online videos are in enough depth or if the wording they use is right as for biology the wording is really important to get the marks.

I'd suggest, since your school forces you to take 4 a-levels, stick with economics. The economics a-level course in comparison to physics a-level is a lot simpler, and so if you want to (as seems to be the case) focus on Biology, Chemistry and Maths, then I wouldn't recommend taking physics, unless you believe you may decide to pick a degree in the future that is physics-related.

Freesciencelessons on youtube does GCSE videos but has mentioned that he'll start doing A-level videos - though that may be in a few months time, which is a bit late.

Does your school offer so-called subjects "clinics"/ extra-help sessions? These are incredibly useful to go to if you think you're struggling with the workload.

I would also recommend taking the time to do extra practise questions that are not just the homework, and then asking your teachers to either mark it or go over it with you. This will 1) allow your knowledge to expand further, with the aid of your teachers and 2) let your teachers know that you are an enthusiastic student you would like extra help, which is always great for when they come to write UCAS.

Hope this helps!
Original post by econflower
I'd suggest, since your school forces you to take 4 a-levels, stick with economics. The economics a-level course in comparison to physics a-level is a lot simpler, and so if you want to (as seems to be the case) focus on Biology, Chemistry and Maths, then I wouldn't recommend taking physics, unless you believe you may decide to pick a degree in the future that is physics-related.

Freesciencelessons on youtube does GCSE videos but has mentioned that he'll start doing A-level videos - though that may be in a few months time, which is a bit late.

Does your school offer so-called subjects "clinics"/ extra-help sessions? These are incredibly useful to go to if you think you're struggling with the workload.

I would also recommend taking the time to do extra practise questions that are not just the homework, and then asking your teachers to either mark it or go over it with you. This will 1) allow your knowledge to expand further, with the aid of your teachers and 2) let your teachers know that you are an enthusiastic student you would like extra help, which is always great for when they come to write UCAS.

Hope this helps!

Freesciencelessons is literally the only reason I got an A* for all of my sciences!I really need him to make a level videos.Im worried doing economics would put me at a disadvantage when applying for medicine or natural sciences,Im still deciding which degree I want to do.I don't think they offer clinics.The issue is me understanding the content and finding resources online to self teach myself the content the teachers tell us to learn ourself and struggling to do the harder complex questions which the internet is of little use.I feel like a lot of the content isn't clicking with me.What a levels are you doing?I might ask my teacher for extra questions but Im even struggling sometimes with the h/w questions that are set because they are much more complex then stuff we done in class.
I know about e rintoul and mr pollock.I have used exam solutions before, but there are just some problems I can never find answers online on how to solve them.I heard of snap revise but Im sceptical if the videos are any good.Im not sure if some of the online videos are in enough depth or if the wording they use is right as for biology the wording is really important to get the marks.

What sort of problems can't you find answers to online? If these are textbook questions, and your are doing Edexcel for maths, there's a chance that there you can find worked solutions on every question in the text book to help you with you maths work. SnapRevise have a couple of free videos for each subject, so check those out and make your decision on whether or not to invest. The idea behind using several sources for your revision is that by the off chance one doesn't go into enough detail, the other will help to fill in some of the blanks. For specific wording for exam questions, online videos aren't too helpful. That comes with past paper practice.
What sort of problems can't you find answers to online? If these are textbook questions, and your are doing Edexcel for maths, there's a chance that there you can find worked solutions on every question in the text book to help you with you maths work. SnapRevise have a couple of free videos for each subject, so check those out and make your decision on whether or not to invest. The idea behind using several sources for your revision is that by the off chance one doesn't go into enough detail, the other will help to fill in some of the blanks. For specific wording for exam questions, online videos aren't too helpful. That comes with past paper practice.

I do OCR A for biology,chemistry and maths.It's those questions for chemistry with calculations and some maths topics I can't sometimes find the more complex content being taught and just the simple stuff.
I do OCR A for biology,chemistry and maths.It's those questions for chemistry with calculations and some maths topics I can't sometimes find the more complex content being taught and just the simple stuff.

Have you thought about buying an additional text book for each subject? That way you'd have two explanations for each topic, which decreases the chance that you'd get confused on a particular topic. For chemistry calculations, I recall doing quite a few off of these worksheets that my teachers at school gave us. Try asking your teacher to supply you with some chemistry calculations questions, along with the mark scheme. Look at the specification for your subjects so you know exactly what you have to learn. If the information that you have access to isn't sufficient enough, you would have to branch out to other sources of information in order to cover the content.
Have you thought about buying an additional text book for each subject? That way you'd have two explanations for each topic, which decreases the chance that you'd get confused on a particular topic. For chemistry calculations, I recall doing quite a few off of these worksheets that my teachers at school gave us. Try asking your teacher to supply you with some chemistry calculations questions, along with the mark scheme. Look at the specification for your subjects so you know exactly what you have to learn. If the information that you have access to isn't sufficient enough, you would have to branch out to other sources of information in order to cover the content.

The teacher gives us calculation questions and I struggle to them, the more complex ones.I looked at the specification but it's really vague like e.g. for eukaryotic cells knwo the functions of .....these organelles but they don't say what level of detail you need to know for each organelle and what the particular function is even and the textbook has a lot of jargon.I'm looking into buying a revision guide.I looked at snap revise and Im not a fan of the videos, the information is not presented in a good way that would make me help remember things but they just write things down all over the page and I think the wording is off and lack of explanations.Mr Pollock doesn't make videos anymore really and the ones he has is for the old spec and doesn't cover some of the content of the new spec :/ But some of his videos are good.

By the way I really appreciate your help.
I would say move schools if you can't handle the workload and do three. Don't let your school dictate your life. If your not coping then I personally believe it's better to get three As then four Cs. OP would you ever consider moving schools?

I'm doing the same subjects as you except economics. My school gives 9 hours of each subject per week. With interventions and boosters to those who need it. And it's not private or grammar. Not even a great public school, just decent in my opinion.

Perhaps go to your teachers after school for extra help if they are nice? Definitely watch videos and go on the sites mentioned above. Also see if there's another textbook available to revise from. Truly teachers aren't the be all and end all. Most of a levels is done through personal revision so it's definitely possible.

Good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19

examsolutions, jack brown youtube videos. check these out you will not regretn it

Quick Reply

Latest