The Student Room Group

Will science one day manage to eliminate the need for sleep altogether?

I know there is very little we know about sleep. We still don't have a very clear idea why we need to sleep in the first place. Sleep appears to be a very mysterious biological aspect of human and non-human animals. But if we get rid of sleep, we will have, at leaaast, an extra 8 hours for productive work. Bear in mind that by night-time we feel sleepy and that affects productivity too. I can't see any drawbacks.Human progress will speed up, we'll be able to achieve much more during our life-time. Do you think it'd be a good idea to eliminate sleep if we could?

Scroll to see replies

Wouldn't that be the dream, gaining 8 more hours each day to spend crying over A-Levels
Original post by EmilySarah00
Wouldn't that be the dream, gaining 8 more hours each day to spend crying over A-Levels

But then you wouldn't be crying because you can put an alnighter without having to sacrifice concentration during exam.
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
But then you wouldn't be crying because you can put an alnighter without having to sacrifice concentration during exam.

I'll probably still cry anyway to be honest
I know there is very little we know about sleep. We still don't have a very clear idea why we need to sleep in the first place. Sleep appears to be a very mysterious biological aspect of human and non-human animals. But if we get rid of sleep, we will have, at leaaast, an extra 8 hours for productive work. Bear in mind that by night-time we feel sleepy and that affects productivity too. I can't see any drawbacks.Human progress will speed up, we'll be able to achieve much more during our life-time. Do you think it'd be a good idea to eliminate sleep if we could?

erm no? That like trying to eliminate the need to eat or drink or poop.Its a basic essential component of life.All animals do it.Studies have actually shown that those who are sleep deprived are more likely to get stuff like cancer and heart disease.
Original post by Robby2312
erm no? That like trying to eliminate the need to eat or drink or poop.Its a basic essential component of life.All animals do it.Studies have actually shown that those who are sleep deprived are more likely to get stuff like cancer and heart disease.

it's not that simple, we don't really know why we need to sleep. But we have a very good idea of why we need to drink water and eat. Besides, there is a rare condition that makes people unable to sleep. Some of them don't sleep for 2 years.But it is impossible not to drink water. So it's not a physical impossibility to not sleep.
Yes
I sure hope not. I like sleep
will it eliminate my eyebags too
Reply 9
it's not that simple, we don't really know why we need to sleep. But we have a very good idea of why we need to drink water and eat. Besides, there is a rare condition that makes people unable to sleep. Some of them don't sleep for 2 years.But it is impossible not to drink water. So it's not a physical impossibility to not sleep.

Sleep is instrumental to the long-term operation and organisation of memory.
Reply 10
Sleeping is pretty nice to be fair, it just sucks that it takes up half your life.
Reply 11
Original post by EmilySarah00
I'll probably still cry anyway to be honest

That's the spirit.
Original post by Mathemagicien
So you don't spend your nights nightmaring about exams?

Amateur.

Guilty.

Think I rely on sleep too much to have time for nightmares.

What condition is this? I doubt its a full two years without any sleep at all.In normal people death occurs after about 2 weeks without any sleep.Sleep is essential for the working of our minds and bodies.Just as essential as water or food.
Have you not seen that found footage dr who episode!?
Your body needs time to recover from physical and mental stressors. Different stages of sleep are correlated with restoration of different aspects of our body, for example REM sleep restoring energy to the brain and non-REM sleep restoring the musculoskeletal system. You need to be in a state of deep relaxation for these to happen. These repairs happening while you're awake would be like trying to repair a car while it's running.
Reply 16
Even with the sleep people currently get, it's been shown that trying to work every waking hour results in less overall productivity than working with breaks. So no, I don't think human progress would speed up, the brain just isn't designed to concentrate for that long, sleep or no sleep. I suppose we'll have more time for leisure activities, but would people actually have enough money to make use of that extra time?
I hope not, I enjoy spending time in my dreams
WTF?

Why get rid of the need for rest?

There is more to life than increasing productivity. We seem to have lost sight that life is for living. :facepalm2:
Honestly I think this is in the realms of science fiction. Sleep is way too important to way too many crucial functions to think we could ever adequately replace it. Perhaps reduce the amount we need by finding ways to ensure the sleep we do get is of higher quality, but not eliminate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending