The Student Room Group

LSE, York, or Durham?

So I'm applying to PPE/Politics and Economics for University but i can't decide on my 5th Uni. So far i have:
-Oxford
-UCL
-Exeter
-Bristol
I'm not worried about needing a safety university this year because I'm more than okay with taking a gap year. The three universities i've been looking at are LSE, York and Durham, all for PPE. The main things I'm looking for are teaching quality, accommodation and student life, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
1. LSE is the most reputable and would probably land you the best job. But it's notorious to have bad teaching (not quality but quantity), very expensive accommodation and its known to be quite introverted and cliquey (but I guess this is subjective), this is coming from someones who's applying there.
2. York is probably the worst of the 3 for prestige and teaching, but I'm sure it will have some decent accommodation/student life.
3. Durham 2nd most reputable, good teaching, accommodation and student life.

IMO if you don't care about rejections I'd go LSE if you care heavily about future job or Durham if you want a good experience there.
Original post by PoliticsandP
1. LSE is the most reputable and would probably land you the best job. But it's notorious to have bad teaching (not quality but quantity), very expensive accommodation and its known to be quite introverted and cliquey (but I guess this is subjective), this is coming from someones who's applying there.
2. York is probably the worst of the 3 for prestige and teaching, but I'm sure it will have some decent accommodation/student life.
3. Durham 2nd most reputable, good teaching, accommodation and student life.

IMO if you don't care about rejections I'd go LSE if you care heavily about future job or Durham if you want a good experience there.

99% of future employers aren't going to give a monkey's uncle about whether you went to LSE, York or Durham as long as you come out with a good classification.
Reply 3
My Uncles a lecturer in Economics at York-- he says the students are good and the facilities are well too :smile:
Original post by worldender
99% of future employers aren't going to give a monkey's uncle about whether you went to LSE, York or Durham as long as you come out with a good classification.

You are disgustingly wrong. It annoys me when people like you arrogantly give out awful advice. LSE's salary after 5 years is £50,000, Durham £40,000, York £24,000. For economics related degrees, there's an even greater gap, e.g. LSE is the highest in the UK at £60,000. You might not care, but employers do.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PoliticsandP
You are disgustingly wrong. It annoys me when people like you arrogantly give out awful advice. LSE's salary after 5 years is £50,000, Durham £40,000, York £24,000. For economics related degrees, there's an even greater gap, e.g. LSE is the highest in the UK at £60,000. You might not care, but employers do.

Looks like I've upset you - you are obviously easily 'disgusted'!

Got the link for those figures? Is that politics/PPE specifically or university-wide?

The average graduate in PPE/Politics and Economics is not going into a high-powered City job. Those employers granted might privilege LSE but the vast, vast majority of others won't. It's also very unlikely to matter a great deal for postgraduate study.

Also, we weren't talking about Economics, so that's irrelevant.

The TSR Russell Group insecurity complex is strong with this one!
Original post by worldender
Looks like I've upset you - you are obviously easily 'disgusted'!

Got the link for those figures? Is that politics/PPE specifically or university-wide?

The average graduate in PPE/Politics and Economics is not going into a high-powered City job. Those employers granted might privilege LSE but the vast, vast majority of others won't. It's also very unlikely to matter a great deal for postgraduate study.

Also, we weren't talking about Economics, so that's irrelevant.

The TSR Russell Group insecurity complex is strong with this one!

1. I didn't say I was disgusted and I'm not upset.
2. Cba to give you the link, it's from The Times. Figures are uni-wide.
3. There's reason LSE graduates get paid more for similar jobs, employers do care.
4. It is pretty irrelevant for postgraduate, but no-one suggested it was relevant.
5. PPE comes under 'economics' stats, so yes, we are talking about that.
6. I have applied to Russell and non-Russell group uni's, your presumptive arrogance has shown again.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending