The Student Room Group

My life is a shambles.

Don't even know how start, after such a bad week…
So yeah I recently moved down in Science from set 1 to set 2 and I've complained about how I've moved to my head of science and he's said 'the results you probably got was your predicted grades, before I asked him 'he said I'm not Set 1 material'.

Since I have been allocated to my new class, I have absolutely learnt nothing, everything we've been learning, I did it in set 1… My teacher is horrendously bad, no one is engaged, she's unable to speak properly, my class has been on the same slide for like 5 lessons, 0 tolerance and she lets the class dictate the lessons.

Yesterday the class did a test we only had about 35-30 minutes/1 hour exam, I understood what was test but I wasn't able to complete since it wasn't in exam conditions. My new teacher never told the class that they had test, she was just like 'we have a test tomorrow'. I knew the topics because my old teacher told me them.

I asked why am I not able to finish my test, she just ignored then said stop asking me this question.

Sorry for the long story…. But I'm feeling depressed about this and no action is being taken.
Reply 1
I was thinking about talking to the Head teacher about this, since the head of science says 'she's a very good teacher'.
My parents are aware of this and they said they might book an appointment...
Reply 2
Original post by VirgoStrain
Is this GCSE or A-Level? For GCSE don't worry. I was initially at risk of moving down a maths set but didn't, which stressed me out. I now wish i had moved down because the teacher in set 2 maths was so much better.

Well I have to wait till January to move back up, but this teacher is going impact on my grades. Its just so depressing.
Reply 3
Seriously, you grades are utterly irrelevant. What matters are your results, and if you get mostly A's and A*'s then great. The only reason I'd suggest for doing well in tests is in case you're ill and miss an exam.

The head of science will use that against me, If I ask him about moving. I care about my grades and results, I want to be a doctor but my teacher is going to impact on my progress...
Reply 4
Just focus on preparing for your GCSE exams. Don't worry about moving between sets... This is a case of "the end justifies the means"; in other words, what counts is the final results.

I'm gonna have to 3 more months until my mocks, to move up… Final results? Meaning GCSE or end of year?
Reply 5
Your GCSE predicted grades are based on your mocks. Nothing else. Do well in your mocks and you'll be set in case you miss a GCSE exam due to illness. But the only thing related to GCSE that your university asks in your application is the final results, so all you need to do is do well in those.

Just gonna have to give 200% and work hard during this tragic situation.
Original post by SBizzy
Don't even know how start, after such a bad week…
So yeah I recently moved down in Science from set 1 to set 2 and I've complained about how I've moved to my head of science and he's said 'the results you probably got was your predicted grades, before I asked him 'he said I'm not Set 1 material'.

Since I have been allocated to my new class, I have absolutely learnt nothing, everything we've been learning, I did it in set 1… My teacher is horrendously bad, no one is engaged, she's unable to speak properly, my class has been on the same slide for like 5 lessons, 0 tolerance and she lets the class dictate the lessons.

Yesterday the class did a test we only had about 35-30 minutes/1 hour exam, I understood what was test but I wasn't able to complete since it wasn't in exam conditions. My new teacher never told the class that they had test, she was just like 'we have a test tomorrow'. I knew the topics because my old teacher told me them.

I asked why am I not able to finish my test, she just ignored then said stop asking me this question.

Sorry for the long story…. But I'm feeling depressed about this and no action is being taken.

You may understand this already but whether or not you get good grades isn't just the teacher's responsibility; there needs to be a balance. I moved down a set in science at the end of year 10 and I (and many other people) were annoyed because people that cheated (they literally used their phones in tests and teachers more or less knew who cheated) were moved up. People with 'behavioural' issues were also moved up. But after a while I ended up doing much better than I was before.
And if this doesn't give you hope, then there was this English teacher I had in year 11, that everyone agreed was completely useless. For example, she gave us A-Level work, got p*ssed off with the class and then decided not to teach us for the rest of the lesson. So thanks to my own effort I was barely getting 6s and 7s, but in the end I got an 8 in Lit and 9 in Lang. Anyway sorry if I went on a bit or seemed a bit condescending, but I hope that my 'story' helped you, even if just a little :h:
Reply 7
I sympathise. It's hard to tell if something will be important later on until after you've done it. Just try to push the negative stuff to the back of your head and concentrate on your GCSE's.

I'm not sure if i'm lucky that I do Triple science, but it links to what I do in science but in more depth..
But I need to try and get this out of my mind, but action needs to be taken.
I can just see in the head of science eyes, that he knows what going on but he has to defend her to be professional or something not sure….
Reply 8
Original post by Kamila_Kamizaki
You may understand this already but whether or not you get good grades isn't just the teacher's responsibility; there needs to be a balance. I moved down a set in science at the end of year 10 and I (and many other people) were annoyed because people that cheated (they literally used their phones in tests and teachers more or less knew who cheated) were moved up. People with 'behavioural' issues were also moved up. But after a while I ended up doing much better than I was before.
And if this doesn't give you hope, then there was this English teacher I had in year 11, that everyone agreed was completely useless. For example, she gave us A-Level work, got p*ssed off with the class and then decided not to teach us for the rest of the lesson. So thanks to my own effort I was barely getting 6s and 7s, but in the end I got an 8 in Lit and 9 in Lang. Anyway sorry if I went on a bit or seemed a bit condescending, but I hope that my 'story' helped you, even if just a little :h:

Well if a teacher doesn't know how to control the class and teach to a good degree then I don't what is here responsibly. lol.

I try my best to be engaged but she can't barely speak, if you were
in my class you will be so angry and depressed…

But it is that my grades do depend on me, but the teacher is there to guid me and help me on things i don't understand but she is unable to that speaking of my problem just makes me more depressed…………….
Original post by SBizzy
Well if a teacher doesn't know how to control the class and teach to a good degree then I don't what is here responsibly. lol.

I try my best to be engaged but she can't barely speak, if you were
in my class you will be so angry and depressed…

But it is that my grades do depend on me, but the teacher is there to guid me and help me on things i don't understand but she is unable to that speaking of my problem just makes me more depressed…………….

By barely being able to speak do you mean that she has a speech impediment?
Reply 10
By barely being able to speak do you mean that she has a speech impediment?

Yeah she does, lemme give a scenario so i was sitting in the middle of the class and she was saying something and I couldn't understand her… Then when its time to shout at the class, she doesn't shout but she does it at the times where its not needed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SBizzy
Yeah she does, lemme give a scenario so i was sitting in the middle of the class and she was saying something and I couldn't understand her… Then when its time to shout at the class, she doesn't shout but she does it at the times where its not needed.

Then unfortunately there's not a lot you can do. Although eventually you're likely to get used to her way of speaking and gradually come to understanding what she's saying. Until then you just gotta pull through :yy:
Reply 12
Then unfortunately there's not a lot you can do. Although eventually you're likely to get used to her way of speaking and gradually come to understanding what she's saying. Until then you just gotta pull through :yy:

I'm going to report her, this so depressing. If ousted came to inspect our school especially in science my class will be blacklisted or give the school a bad report…………………………………………………..

Well in that case, I won't be able to learn anything since I won't hear her.

Quick Reply

Latest