The Student Room Group

What programming languages are studied in a Computer Science BSc course?

I found that southampton teach you using java, but no other universities i have looked at list the programming languages they use. I want to start getting a headstart to make work at university a little easier for me. at the moment i study C++, should i just carry on with it or start java as well?
At my uni they’re teaching Java as the main programming language.
In the first year in Bristol, we do Haskell, C and Java
Reply 3
Depends on the university.
Reply 4
Original post by Ryanthom100
I found that southampton teach you using java, but no other universities i have looked at list the programming languages they use. I want to start getting a headstart to make work at university a little easier for me. at the moment i study C++, should i just carry on with it or start java as well?

From the uni open days I've been to, they've all been mainly Java with other languages such as C++ or Python!
I'd agree that generally universities focus on Java, C++ and occasionally Python
Java, C, C++, Haskell, Prologue and ML are the ones I've seen in various lists (not all of them at once - but a few of them usually). Carry on with C++, if you can understand the concepts of C++ then you'll be able to pick up Java fairly quickly as well.
My course is doing c# but I also work as a technical architect and most of my job is working with Java. I'd say stick to C++. Java is relatively easy if you know C++. Have a look at some Java and/or C# (The two languages are very similar) if you want an extra familiarity but if you're comfortable with C++ Java will be easy by comparison. If you want to challenge yourself though, do some C. It's more complicated to use than C++ and from a professional point of view lots of legacy code is still in C (at least in the public sector) and because fewer people learn it now it's a good one to know.
At RHUL, it's Java. I've had previous experience, so it was a walk in the park for me, but it's not too hard to pick up if you're at least somewhat familiar with OOP.
Original post by UWS
Depends on the university.

How was this post given a rep!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending