The Student Room Group

I feel out of depth with a levels and struggling to cope.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1502
The teacher gives us calculation questions and I struggle to them, the more complex ones.I looked at the specification but it's really vague like e.g. for eukaryotic cells knwo the functions of .....these organelles but they don't say what level of detail you need to know for each organelle and what the particular function is even and the textbook has a lot of jargon.I'm looking into buying a revision guide.I looked at snap revise and Im not a fan of the videos, the information is not presented in a good way that would make me help remember things but they just write things down all over the page and I think the wording is off and lack of explanations.Mr Pollock doesn't make videos anymore really and the ones he has is for the old spec and doesn't cover some of the content of the new spec :/ But some of his videos are good.

Ask your teacher for help with calculations questions that you're stuck with in class. I know it's difficult but if you can get into the habit of asking your teacher for help when you're stuck you'll be much better off in the long run. For things like functions of eukaryotic cells, use your textbook to facilitate your learning. They generally give you the information that is needed. And you could always ask your teacher to clarify how much you need to know on a particular topic. It's completely fine if you don't like SnapRevise, after all it isn't the only video resource. There's a new website called Revisely with videos on there: check them out.
(edited 6 years ago)
By the way I really appreciate your help.

No worries :smile:
Original post by hellomellow
I would say move schools if you can't handle the workload and do three. Don't let your school dictate your life. If your not coping then I personally believe it's better to get three As then four Cs. OP would you ever consider moving schools?

I'm doing the same subjects as you except economics. My school gives 9 hours of each subject per week. With interventions and boosters to those who need it. And it's not private or grammar. Not even a great public school, just decent in my opinion.

Perhaps go to your teachers after school for extra help if they are nice? Definitely watch videos and go on the sites mentioned above. Also see if there's another textbook available to revise from. Truly teachers aren't the be all and end all. Most of a levels is done through personal revision so it's definitely possible.

Good luck.

I don't think Im willing to move schools,it would just give me a lot more stress and I would probably have to go to a really bad school as all the good ones are full and the school I go to is 'good' according to rankings which I worked hard to get into for sixth form.9 hours per subject, that is a lot!I go to a grammar one, it's a bit poor so we have little teaching hours.I don't knwo where the teachers are ever, so not sure where to go to get help from them.
Original post by HotDetermination
Ask your teacher for help with calculations questions that you're stuck with in class. I know it's difficult but if you can get into the habit of asking your teacher for help when you're stuck you'll be much better off in the long run. For things like functions of eukaryotic cells, use your textbook to facilitate your learning. They generally give you the information that is needed. And you could always ask your teacher to clarify how much you need to know on a particular topic. It's completely fine if you don't like SnapRevise, after all it isn't the only video resource. There's a new website called Revisely with videos on there: check them out.

Im currently using the textbook but some of the organelles that the teacher told us to learn the structure and functions of aren't in the textbook like plasma membrane.I might try asking for help on monday if I get the courage to do so, but how do you approach a teacher and tell them that you can't do any of the questions?I'll look at revisely.
Im currently using the textbook but some of the organelles that the teacher told us to learn the structure and functions of aren't in the textbook like plasma membrane.I might try asking for help on monday if I get the courage to do so, but how do you approach a teacher and tell them that you can't do any of the questions?I'll look at revisely.

Just off the top of my head, the function of the plasma membrane is to control the transport of things in and out of the cell. By things I mean ions and molecules. Not to sure to be honest I've got to revise myself!You could either e-mail your teacher and arrange some sort of meeting or you could ask in class so the problem is resolved as soon as it arises.
Just off the top of my head, the function of the plasma membrane is to control the transport of things in and out of the cell. By things I mean ions and molecules. Not to sure to be honest I've got to revise myself!You could either e-mail your teacher and arrange some sort of meeting or you could ask in class so the problem is resolved as soon as it arises.

I'll ask in class I guess.My chemistry and maths teacher is annoying me so much they keep setting questions to do (maths calculations for chem) and some maths work for stuff we never learnt in class and they expect us to be able to do the homework :frown:
stick with economics if you can- physics is notoriously hard and there is just so much content
I'll ask in class I guess.My chemistry and maths teacher is annoying me so much they keep setting questions to do (maths calculations for chem) and some maths work for stuff we never learnt in class and they expect us to be able to do the homework :frown:

Don't worry too much about it. If you ever have to self-teach maths, I recommend ExamSolutions. It's always a good idea to ask a question in class, especially if you're stuck. It's the teacher's job to help you out, if they ever give you attitude for asking a question then they are an awful teacher I guarantee it.
Im worried doing economics would put me at a disadvantage when applying for medicine or natural sciences

Well think about it this way- if you had the option to take 3 a levels, you would take that offer wouldn't you? So why, now that you are being forced to do 4, would you pick one of the hardest a-levels as a 4th? It's an advantage, but at the same time it makes your life much more difficult and therefore hinders your chances of doing extremely well at Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Trust me, this isn't coming from a biased perspective (i.e. an economics enthusiast) but definitely stick with economics.
Original post by econflower
Well think about it this way- if you had the option to take 3 a levels, you would take that offer wouldn't you? So why, now that you are being forced to do 4, would you pick one of the hardest a-levels as a 4th? It's an advantage, but at the same time it makes your life much more difficult and therefore hinders your chances of doing extremely well at Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Trust me, this isn't coming from a biased perspective (i.e. an economics enthusiast) but definitely stick with economics.

I just find econ a bit boring and if the school won't allow me to drop a subject in year 13 then doing econ a level would have no benefit.But the physics is a bit tricky but kind of interesting I don't know anymore.What other a levels are you doing?But then you're right about that thing about having more time to focus on the 3 a levels I care about the most.
Don't worry too much about it. If you ever have to self-teach maths, I recommend ExamSolutions. It's always a good idea to ask a question in class, especially if you're stuck. It's the teacher's job to help you out, if they ever give you attitude for asking a question then they are an awful teacher I guarantee it.

I ask the teacher for help but he looks at me like Im an idiot as if he thinks what is there not to understand or just kind of ignores me or is not very helpful and they are the head of maths :frown:

I ask the teacher for help but he looks at me like Im an idiot as if he thinks what is there not to understand or just kind of ignores me or is not very helpful and they are the head of maths :frown: What a levels are you doing/done?
I just find econ a bit boring and if the school won't allow me to drop a subject in year 13 then doing econ a level would have no benefit.But the physics is a bit tricky but kind of interesting I don't know anymore.What other a levels are you doing?But then you're right about that thing about having more time to focus on the 3 a levels I care about the most.

Ah yes I see what you mean! I'm doing maths economics chemistry biology (we also have to 4 a-levels at our school, personally I don't find it too bad yet, but I'm sure it will get really difficult soon)
(also I tried physics a-level for 3 lessons and hated it, switched to biology)
Ah yes I see what you mean! I'm doing maths economics chemistry biology (we also have to 4 a-levels at our school, personally I don't find it too bad yet, but I'm sure it will get really difficult soon)
(also I tried physics a-level for 3 lessons and hated it, switched to biology)

What uni courses are you interested in applying for?
What uni courses are you interested in applying for?

Definitely Economics, maybe at Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Durham and St. Andrews, but of course the uni options might change later on. What about you??
Definitely Economics, maybe at Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Durham and St. Andrews, but of course the uni options might change later on. What about you??

Medicine or natural sciences.
I ask the teacher for help but he looks at me like Im an idiot as if he thinks what is there not to understand or just kind of ignores me or is not very helpful and they are the head of maths :frown: What a levels are you doing/done?

I would report him, if I were you. If you do choose to report him, make sure it's done anonymously.
Reply 37
If your school has EPQ, would that be a benefit over the 4th A level subject?
Are you in Year 12 or year 13 at the moment
Original post by reureu
If your school has EPQ, would that be a benefit over the 4th A level subject?
Are you in Year 12 or year 13 at the moment

Year 12 and I Dont think my school dies epq :/
Reply 39
Year 12 and I Dont think my school dies epq :/

Maths you can try this -

It is from Jack Brown

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ry6kuqdASlw55VrF5uicPpk7O6TJ62ahwqZhnpgmSoM/edit

and Revisely will cover overhead for Chemistry and Biology whichever board you take!
Glad that you feel the pinch of doing well very early, that attitude itself will take you long way through success, as it is just start of AS. Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest