The Student Room Group

Teachers keep setting questions on stuff we haven't learnt!!!

My maths and chemistry teacher keeps setting us h/w worksheets on things we never covered in class, I am not sure on how to deal with this,we do completely different stuff in class and they set work that we never ever learnt and expect us to do ti,it's starting to pi** me off a lot, because they're stressing people out!
Original post by Anonymous1502
My maths and chemistry teacher keeps setting us h/w worksheets on things we never covered in class, I am not sure on how to deal with this,we do completely different stuff in class and they set work that we never ever learnt and expect us to do ti,it's starting to pi** me off a lot, because they're stressing people out!

Wouldn't be surprised if they're teaching you to independently research/learn. That exact scenario happens within your first week of a STEM degree.
Original post by CastCuraga
Wouldn't be surprised if they're teaching you to independently research/learn. That exact scenario happens within your first week of a STEM degree.

How do they expect me to know how to do maths questions if no one ever taught me these topics.This is for a level by the way.
How do they expect me to know how to do maths questions if no one ever taught me these topics.This is for a level by the way.

As the above poster said, independent research. Figure it out yourself. It's good practice for uni.

If the teachers are not aware they are doing this, tell them that you haven't covered what they are giving you. Make sure the majority of your class are feeling the same. If nothing happens tell your head of year or a senior teacher.
You're surprised that they are asking you to do independent learning? Wow.

Probably because Mathematics has more independent research materials than a lot of other subjects, things like PhysicsandMathsTutor and Khan Academy. You're probably being expected to learn them yourself using the internet and then answer the questions after. Which does kinda suck, but as I said, very common post A Level.

(edit: to clarify I mentioned degree level because A Level teachers generally do things to prepare you for degree level, particularly independent research and learning.)

https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/

here's a good place to go to help yourself
Original post by Shaunie3
If the teachers are not aware they are doing this, tell them that you haven't covered what they are giving you. Make sure the majority of your class are feeling the same. If nothing happens tell your head of year or a senior teacher.

People in my chemistry class are struggling with the sheets and cant do them.I understand independent work but whats the point of going to lesson if they expect us to learn everything ourselves then what is the point of school.They should be teaching us stuff instead of giving just sheets and assuming we will figure it out.It's in the name teacher (the word teach).
You might have already done the content but just haven't worked out how to apply it. You have textbooks yes- you can just look a chapter or two ahead if the teacher accidentally sets too advanced work. I doesn't actually matter if you get homework questions right or not anyway. As long as you give it your best shot and ask for explanations on stuff you get wrong.
People in my chemistry class are struggling with the sheets and cant do them.I understand independent work but whats the point of going to lesson if they expect us to learn everything ourselves then what is the point of school.They should be teaching us stuff instead of giving just sheets and assuming we will figure it out.It's in the name teacher (the word teach).

So basically you are used to being spoon fed at gcse. I mean your teachers are spending the lessons teaching correct. A-levels have a lot of content and while it definitely is possible to go through it all in class, there isn't time to constantly go over it again and again to drill it into everyone's head like at gcse. If you don't understand something read through the relevant chapters in the textbook and maybe be adventurous and look ahead for something that might help you answer the questions. If the whole class is struggling, instead of *****ing about the teacher- make a group chat and discuss the questions. I often find that my fellow students are as invaluable a learning resource as the teachers. The transition from a-level to gcse is definitely difficult but if you can take the step up under your stride, you are making progress towards success.
Also another thing to point out is that it's probably quite hard to find questions just covering the very specific small subset of topics you've covered so far.
There is not enough time to teach every single topic. You have to study independently if you are going to cover all the topics. Don't expect expect to be taught everything in class when there's not enough time to

Yes, I understand that they are supposed to teach and give you the right things, but, it's good to do some independent research as well. There must be revision sites on things that you've learnt.
Original post by Shaunie3
Yes, I understand that they are supposed to teach and give you the right things, but, it's good to do some independent research as well. There must be revision sites on things that you've learnt.

But the maths teacher doesn't even teach us anything they just hand out questions for us to do and then gives us even more questions to do for h/w which we never learnt.It's not a one of thing,it's constant.
But the maths teacher doesn't even teach us anything they just hand out questions for us to do and then gives us even more questions to do for h/w which we never learnt.It's not a one of thing,it's constant.

Then you need to be vocal about it. Don't just sit back and expect the teacher to notice their mistake, because in some cases they won't. Tell them. Not just you, but the class as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending