The Student Room Group

Did an a level early now cant get into uni

I got an A* in an A Level I did a year early, I thought this would be beneficial and seen as a positive thing, to be able to do it early, turns out unis want all of them in one sitting. I don't know what to do now, since I can't get into any of the unis that offer the course I want.
I've never heard that before, where did you read it? Do you have a link?
Thats certainly peculiar. What Universities have you applied for / will apply for?
Original post by feiow
I got an A* in an A Level I did a year early, I thought this would be beneficial and seen as a positive thing, to be able to do it early, turns out unis want all of them in one sitting. I don't know what to do now, since I can't get into any of the unis that offer the course I want.

Are you trying to get in with just the one A-Level? Uni's typically aren't fussed about when you did them as long as you have the right grades/UCAS points... Like mature students would've done theirs over a series of years and thats not usually a problem
Reply 4
Never heard of this. How many A Levels do you have? Which university have you applied to?
Original post by Perksy121

This is common for 'top' Unis - they want evidence of 'academic stamina'. Doing one A level early (usually a home language so not exactly hard) and then 2 in a following year when others are doing 3, does not demonstrate this. Your school should have advised you to do 3.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
This is common for 'top' Unis - they want evidence of 'academic stamina'. Doing one A level early (usually a home language so not exactly hard) and then 2 in a following year when others are doing 3, does not demonstrate this. Your school should have advised you to do 3.

Yes, I have just realised this. Which is so upsetting because I worked very hard for that A* only for it to not mean anything. Because I'll still need 3 A Levels this year at grade A, so realistically the A* is pointless :frown:
I always thought "in one sitting" meant that it had to be the first time, as in no resits and only the first grade could be taken into consideration:eek: Learn something new everyday:clap2: As you were.
Reply 8
Original post by Perksy121

Literally every university for dentistry are stating this. Ive found many, such as Bristol that don't say it on their website, so I thought great, let me apply for them (since I have to apply now) but I thought let me email them, just to double check that this is fine because I don't want to end up applying and then getting rejected and they replied saying that in my case I would not get an offer, based on the fact that I'm only doing 2 this year (year 13).

Heres a quote from queen marys:

A levels requirements must be achieved in one sitting over no longer than a 2 year period.

This is their link : http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80113.html

Almost every university entry requirement for dentistry states this though and if it doesn't then those that have got back to me have said that this is the case :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by abbalarr95
I always thought "in one sitting" meant that it had to be the first time, as in no resits and only the first grade could be taken into consideration:eek: Learn something new everyday:clap2: As you were.

Yes, also the fact that the universities say "over a period of no longer than 2 years", so I started mine a year early (year 11 for as) did the a2 in year 12 and now I'm doing my other 2 subjects in year 13, so this would be a 3 year period.
Original post by feiow

1. Has your a level been cashed in? I sat an A Level in year 12 (I am sitting 3 more this year) but the A Level isn't cashed in til the end of year 13 so that it still counts towards offers and I will be retaking a couple of modules. If it's not cashed in the unis don't have to know and hence it can be counted as part of your offer - has your school already cashed it in?

2. If this isn't possible, would you be able to take up another subject? It'd be hard to learn an entire a level in a year alongside 2 others, but you could always study an AS - this way, you'd have sat 2 A levels and an AS at once which might be fine for unis considering you got an A*
Reply 11
Original post by Ishax
Never heard of this. How many A Levels do you have? Which university have you applied to?

So I have already done one and I am doing 2 this year, so a total of 3. but since I did one early, it won't be counted, so ill end up having 2 to apply with!!! I'm applying this week and I was planning to apply to kings, queen marys, Manchester, but now I don't know what to do
Original post by feiow
Yes, also the fact that the universities say "over a period of no longer than 2 years", so I started mine a year early (year 11 for as) did the a2 in year 12 and now I'm doing my other 2 subjects in year 13, so this would be a 3 year period.

That's so annoying! what A level did you take early? Do all of the uni's you want to apply to ask for this?
Reply 13
Original post by Cxletteee
1. Has your a level been cashed in? I sat an A Level in year 12 (I am sitting 3 more this year) but the A Level isn't cashed in til the end of year 13 so that it still counts towards offers and I will be retaking a couple of modules. If it's not cashed in the unis don't have to know and hence it can be counted as part of your offer - has your school already cashed it in?

2. If this isn't possible, would you be able to take up another subject? It'd be hard to learn an entire a level in a year alongside 2 others, but you could always study an AS - this way, you'd have sat 2 A levels and an AS at once which might be fine for unis considering you got an A*

Many thanks for the reply.
1) How do you know if its been cashed in? If I've received my grade back on the official ocr paper, then I'm guessing it has been. Also, I did my as for this in year 11, so it defo would have been and considering my grade I'm guessing they would have cashed it in.
2) my 2 subjects this year are bio and chemistry which I find I have to work very hard for, so I wouldn't be able to cope with another a level. And since I want to do dentistry, they don't accept an As and 2 a levels due to how competitive the course is
Reply 14
Original post by GamingAnonymous
Thats certainly peculiar. What Universities have you applied for / will apply for?

Well now I genuinely don't know. Was thinking of kings, queen Mary's, Manchester
Original post by feiow
Many thanks for the reply.
1) How do you know if its been cashed in? If I've received my grade back on the official ocr paper, then I'm guessing it has been. Also, I did my as for this in year 11, so it defo would have been and considering my grade I'm guessing they would have cashed it in.
2) my 2 subjects this year are bio and chemistry which I find I have to work very hard for, so I wouldn't be able to cope with another a level. And since I want to do dentistry, they don't accept an As and 2 a levels due to how competitive the course is

1. Well, on my grade sheet (I did maths) my AS was cashed in so I received an AS grade but my A level grade wasn't cashed in, so no A Level grade was printed (just the module marks). If you did the AS in year 11 I'm assuming it would've been cashed in.
2. That's really tough then :frown: I don't know what you can do other than email unis and explain the situation, saying that you were unaware when you started the AS in year 11 it would result in this. I'm really unsure what they'll say but I think your best chance is just to ask them, they might give you the benefit on the doubt considering you achieved an A*. I completely understand not taking up an extra a level but perhaps you could do an EPQ - it might not be really relevant for medicine but it's something to show you can cope with extra workload?

Really hope things work out for you!
Reply 16
Original post by Cxletteee
1. Well, on my grade sheet (I did maths) my AS was cashed in so I received an AS grade but my A level grade wasn't cashed in, so no A Level grade was printed (just the module marks). If you did the AS in year 11 I'm assuming it would've been cashed in.
2. That's really tough then :frown: I don't know what you can do other than email unis and explain the situation, saying that you were unaware when you started the AS in year 11 it would result in this. I'm really unsure what they'll say but I think your best chance is just to ask them, they might give you the benefit on the doubt considering you achieved an A*. I completely understand not taking up an extra a level but perhaps you could do an EPQ - it might not be really relevant for medicine but it's something to show you can cope with extra workload?

Really hope things work out for you!

Yeah, I looked at EPQs but they literally disregard it.
Thank you anyway! I'll keep my fingers crossed that somehow my grade wasn't cashed in...
Original post by feiow
Yeah, I looked at EPQs but they literally disregard it.
Thank you anyway! I'll keep my fingers crossed that somehow my grade wasn't cashed in...

If it hasn't been cashed in you don't have to disclose it which is obviously very good for you!
Surely other people in your school are in this position and have been in the past? How did your school allow this?

Quick Reply

Latest