The Student Room Group

TA reserves

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help with my questions regarding the TA
first, if I’m a uni student, what is the likelihood of me getting deployed while in the TA?
Second, due to me living approx 100m from my β€œusual” home, will that cause a problem during the summer?
And
Thirdly, is it daytime and weekends or is evenings/night possible too? And what sort of times would these be?
Thanks a bunch guys :smile:
Danny
Reply 1
Original post by Danny peck
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help with my questions regarding the TA
first, if I’m a uni student, what is the likelihood of me getting deployed while in the TA?
Second, due to me living approx 100m from my β€œusual” home, will that cause a problem during the summer?
And
Thirdly, is it daytime and weekends or is evenings/night possible too? And what sort of times would these be?
Thanks a bunch guys :smile:
Danny

Join the UOTC, that's what it's there for.
I went and spoke to my local Reserves while I'm at uni. Firstly, there is a chance you can be deployed, but if you request to defer it as you're studying, they will accept your request and not make you go, in fact the lad at the reserves said they pretty much ask if people want to go. With your second question, as long as you get the required days which is 27 days a year (this includes the 15 day annual camp) there should not be a problem. Thirdly, you will have a training night every week, which usually lasts around two hours, and you will also usually do one weekend every month.
Reply 3
Original post by HarryBrown144
I went and spoke to my local Reserves while I'm at uni. Firstly, there is a chance you can be deployed, but if you request to defer it as you're studying, they will accept your request and not make you go, in fact the lad at the reserves said they pretty much ask if people want to go. With your second question, as long as you get the required days which is 27 days a year (this includes the 15 day annual camp) there should not be a problem. Thirdly, you will have a training night every week, which usually lasts around two hours, and you will also usually do one weekend every month.

Cheers for that information
As for the deployment part, I certainly wouldnt write off deployment if circumstances permitted it (such as sandbagging during Floods etc., or if I’m able to retake the year if it’s an abroad deployment)
As for the second part, that’s actually a lot less commitment than I expected, considering it’s the army.
Thank you very much for taking the time out to find this out for me :smile: I really appreciate it
Reply 4
Original post by Danny peck

As for the second part, that’s actually a lot less commitment than I expected, considering it’s the army.
Thank you very much for taking the time out to find this out for me :smile: I really appreciate it

You also have to remember that you couldn't do anything until you're trained, that will take time. It's not as if you can join on a Wednesday and then be told on Saturday that you need to deeply to X.

Quick Reply

Latest