The Student Room Group

Can I do a Maths degree with A-level Maths, Further Maths and Biology?

My friend doesn't have tsr so I put his question up. Any advice would help him.
Yes, you can.
yep
usually maths and further maths is wanted and the third subject can be whatever really
Reply 3
Original post by perspirationting
yep
usually maths and further maths is wanted and the third subject can be whatever really

Thanks much appreciated he was worried because at our sixth form it is too late to change a-level subjects. He thought the only science you could do for a maths degree is Physics.
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
Yes, you can.

Thanks
Original post by CashBlack
Thanks much appreciated he was worried because at our sixth form it is too late to change a-level subjects. He thought the only science you could do for a maths degree is Physics.

nope i emailed oxford and cambridge and both p much said itdoesn't really matter what ur third subject is as long as it aint general studies or something

i'm not doing physics anymore and imma do a maths degree so!! dw :-D
Reply 6
You don't need physics!
There's an entire field called Mathematical Biology!
What they want is your ability to do maths well. I think all the maths that is covered in A level physics is covered in A level maths and A level Further maths.
Reply 7
nope i emailed oxford and cambridge and both p much said itdoesn't really matter what ur third subject is as long as it aint general studies or something

Reply 8
Original post by Heirio
You don't need physics!
There's an entire field called Mathematical Biology!
What they want is your ability to do maths well. I think all the maths that is covered in A level physics is covered in A level maths and A level Further maths.

Thanks! my friend doesn't enjoy physics or chemistry only the mathematical side. He took biology because he thinks maths and FM are hard enough. Just wanted a subject where you digest facts and information. I don't know which part of maths he wants to get into.
Reply 9
Which universities is your friend applying to?
Reply 10
Original post by Heirio
Which universities is your friend applying to?

Still in year 12, but i think he's trying to get into oxbridge!
Reply 12
Still in year 12, but i think he's trying to get into oxbridge!

Nice.
Hope he does well. For Cambridge, they require A* in both the maths ones and they also take into account how high your UMS is.
Reply 13
Original post by Heirio
Nice.
Hope he does well. For Cambridge, they require A* in both the maths ones and they also take into account how high your UMS is.

Yh he's really intelligent, he just worries alot though. Do cambridge accept biology for maths degree?
Reply 14
They only say they want a science at A grade or above. I don't think they care what the third one is, so long as it's one of the three sciences. Check with Cambridge, though, to make sure.
I mean, I'm quite certain, but better safe than sorry.
Reply 15
Original post by Heirio
They only say they want a science at A grade or above. I don't think they care what the third one is, so long as it's one of the three sciences. Check with Cambridge, though, to make sure.
I mean, I'm quite certain, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks I will tell him to email Cambridge. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 16

What subjects are you doing?
What subjects are you doing?

maths further maths chem computer science
Thanks I will tell him to email Cambridge. Thanks for the advice.

There's a thread in the Cambridge forum where you can ask admissions tutors exactly this type of question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest