The Student Room Group

How important are GCSEs in uni applications?

I missed most of my school years from about year 9 (though I was in sporadically until year 10) - start of year 11, because of that I only took 6 gcses so that I could essentially do them all in just the one year.
Obviously if there are just my grades down on the paper there's not much reasoning or explanation that can go into it, and well there's still fewer than other people who would be applying.
Original post by imaginaryrunes
I missed most of my school years from about year 9 (though I was in sporadically until year 10) - start of year 11, because of that I only took 6 gcses so that I could essentially do them all in just the one year.
Obviously if there are just my grades down on the paper there's not much reasoning or explanation that can go into it, and well there's still fewer than other people who would be applying.
A Levels will be the main focus when considering your academic achievement.

Depending on whether or not you did the new AS though, your GCSEs may be the only real record you have of externally-assessed qualifications.

If I were you, in my PS I would maybe talk about why you missed so much school if there were personal reasons which made you stronger. They love a bit of character building sometimes.:wink: Keep everything relevant to university/your course though.:yep:

Hope that helps.:h:
Original post by 04MR17
A Levels will be the main focus when considering your academic achievement.

Depending on whether or not you did the new AS though, your GCSEs may be the only real record you have of externally-assessed qualifications.

If I were you, in my PS I would maybe talk about why you missed so much school if there were personal reasons which made you stronger. They love a bit of character building sometimes.:wink: Keep everything relevant to university/your course though.:yep:

Hope that helps.:h:

I won't have done any AS levels, that is helpful though thanks :smile:
Original post by imaginaryrunes
I won't have done any AS levels, that is helpful though thanks :smile:
Very welcome:hat2:

I never did AS exams in reformed subjects, so only had GCSEs to go off for assessment of my general academic capability.

However, university tutors will be aware that GCSEs and general school exam assessment systems are deeply flawed as a way of testing student's capabilities, hence why you have a personal statement, plus lots of universities interview.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending