The Student Room Group

Should I apply to LSE to study Law?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hxzwxni
Hi :smile:

I am currently a first year undergraduate student reading Law in LSE. I read some of the replies here about rejections and it does sound discouraging but I just wanted to share my experience of securing an offer to study in LSE.

I obtained A*AAB in AS but my predicted grades were A*A*A (decided to drop one subject). I started my EPQ halfway but decided to drop that as well leaving me with only 3 subjects and no EPQ. Now that doesn't seem like a great application right? Somehow I secured an offer anyway so I hope you would not feel demotivated.

I did not score well for my LNAT and I got rejected by both Oxford and UCL by January. My advice is to be careful about applying to UCL for law because they take the multiple choice marks very seriously. King's on the other hand uses LNAT but maybe their cut off point is lower than UCL.

Maybe my case is very rare but I do hope that you would not feel discouraged about having to take 4 A level subjects as well as an EPQ just so you would have a shot of securing an offer here. Focus on writing a strong personal statement. I hope you do consider applying to LSE because in my case, LSE was my life-saver after getting rejected from all the other universities that requires LNAT.

Cheers.

Hi,

Thank you so much for the advice. SO you think I have a chance if I get predicted A*A*A? What subjects did you take and what were your GCSE's like? I think my PS is quite strong and yeah because of the LNAT I decided to go for Cambridge instead of Oxford. What were you getting in practice tests for LNAT? I feel like you can't really practice for it and it is very hard to predict what you'll get. I need to decide ASAP since my application is due this week....
Reply 21
Out of curiosity, what subjects did you do and did you have anything like work experience?

I did Economics, History, Maths, English Literature AS. I did an internship during my summer break with a small law firm and I mentioned it in my PS :smile:
Reply 22
Thank you so much for the advice. SO you think I have a chance if I get predicted A*A*A? What subjects did you take and what were your GCSE's like? I think my PS is quite strong and yeah because of the LNAT I decided to go for Cambridge instead of Oxford. What were you getting in practice tests for LNAT? I feel like you can't really practice for it and it is very hard to predict what you'll get. I need to decide ASAP since my application is due this week....

I DO think your grades are good enough to be considered by LSE (but take my advice with a pinch of salt, I'm merely speaking based on personal experience).

I took Economics, History, Maths and AS English Literature. I got A*AA for my GCSE (barely made it but grateful nevertheless). Cambridge's law admissions test is more rigorous in my opinion but if you have researched it and look at the sample questions then go for it!!

My LNAT practices range from 18-28 and I understand how frustrating it is not to know your actual progress for the test. I ended up with a 20 for my actual test though (the national average last year was 21). Make sure you have a backup plan if things do not go your way but from the bottom of my heart I hope it does :smile:

All the best !
Original post by new1234
If I was predicted A*A*A? Then would you still say the same thing?

Maybe but your GCSE's are still weaker than the average applicant
Reply 24
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
Maybe but your GCSE's are still weaker than the average applicant

Hmmm, okay thanks!

Would you say I should apply to 4 non-lnat unis and 1 lnat uni if practice tests are going badly or would you say 3:2 is fine?
Reply 25
Original post by Hxzwxni

I DO think your grades are good enough to be considered by LSE (but take my advice with a pinch of salt, I'm merely speaking based on personal experience).

I took Economics, History, Maths and AS English Literature. I got A*AA for my GCSE (barely made it but grateful nevertheless). Cambridge's law admissions test is more rigorous in my opinion but if you have researched it and look at the sample questions then go for it!!

My LNAT practices range from 18-28 and I understand how frustrating it is not to know your actual progress for the test. I ended up with a 20 for my actual test though (the national average last year was 21). Make sure you have a backup plan if things do not go your way but from the bottom of my heart I hope it does :smile:

All the best !

Thanks! And tbh I prefer writing essays so dont feel like the CLT will be as hard as the LNAT but then again it is designed for top applicants so maybe I'm underestimating it.
I know I am going to apply to Cambridge already and I'll have a more in depth look at the admissions test if I even get an offer for the interview.

Yeah so do you think it is better to do 4 non-lnat unis and 1 lnat uni or is 3:2 a good ratio?

Oh wow last years average was quite low then! I'm aiming for 25! But I'm nowhere near!!!
Thanks so much!
Original post by new1234
Hmmm, okay thanks!

Would you say I should apply to 4 non-lnat unis and 1 lnat uni if practice tests are going badly or would you say 3:2 is fine?

3:2 is fine tbh I'm applying to 3 LNAT uni's myself and I've scored 27 and 22 but haven't really looked at essays yet
Reply 27
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
3:2 is fine tbh I'm applying to 3 LNAT uni's myself and I've scored 27 and 22 but haven't really looked at essays yet

Lol I wouldn't be worried if I was scoring 27 and 22. Im scoring way lower and nowhere near as high as 27. I think I'm just going to stick with 3:2. Still got 3 unis if the LNAT goes wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending