The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Question:

Rana sells 192 cakes in the ratio
Small : medium : large = 7 : 6 : 11
The profit for one medium cake is twice the profit for one small cake. The profit for one large cake is three times the profit for one small cake. Her total profit is £532.48 so Work out the profit for one small cake.
Could someone please explain how to work this out? I'm so confused! Thanks :smile:
Original post by postlikeastudent
The profit for one medium cake is twice the profit for one small cake. The profit for one large cake is three times the profit for one small cake. Her total profit is £532.48 so Work out the profit for one small cake.
Could someone please explain how to work this out? I'm so confused! Thanks :smile:

What have you tried? I think I'd start by working out how many cakes of each type Rana sold.
Original post by Muttley79
What have you tried? I think I'd start by working out how many cakes of each type Rana sold.

Then work out the ratio of the profit of each cake (small:medium:large)
Add them together, and do the total profit divided by that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you know how to work out how many of each cake she sold? That is where I would start also.
Original post by tearling17
Then work out the ratio of the profit of each cake (small:medium:large)
Add them together, and do the total profit divided by that.

Call the profit from the small cake p and form an equation.

Good luck!

Ok i am not an expert so it might be wrong but i think it goes like this...
add 7+6+11 to get 24 as they make up all the cakes. Divide 192 by 24 to get one share which is 8. Times 8 by 7 which is 56 so now you know how much small cakes were sold. As the profit for a medium cake is double the profit for a small cake you can put it in the ratio 1:2 for small:medium cakes. It says the large cake is triple so i believe the ratio is 1:2:3. You add all these up which is 6. Divide 532.48 by 6 to get 88.7..which i think is the total profit. Divide 88.7...by 56 to get the profit of one small cake which is £1.58.

Oh, come on
Original post by Danny7867
Ok i am not an expert so it might be wrong but i think it goes like this....

Please edit your post - we don't allow solutions.
Original post by Danny7867
Ok i am not an expert so it might be wrong but i think it goes like this...
add 7+6+11 to get 24 as they make up all the cakes. Divide 192 by 24 to get one share which is 8. Times 8 by 7 which is 56 so now you know how much small cakes were sold. As the profit for a medium cake is double the profit for a small cake you can put it in the ratio 1:2 for small:medium cakes. It says the large cake is triple so i believe the ratio is 1:2:3. You add all these up which is 6. Divide 532.48 by 6 to get 88.7..which i think is the total profit. Divide 88.7...by 56 to get the profit of one small cake which is £1.58.

So helpful! Thank you so much!! :smile:
7 6 11 = 24192 cakes divided by 24 = 87 times 8 = 56 small cakes sold6 times 8 = 48 medium cakes sold11 times 8 = 88 large cakes sold56:48:88 cakes sold rationCakes profit is in ratio 1:2:3 as medium cake is twice profit of small and large is 3 times profit of smallso say x = profittimes the cakes sold by the profit56x times (48 times 2x) times (88 times 3x)56x 96x 264x=416x416x= total profit which = 532.48416x=532.48x=532.48divided by 416x=1.28 profit for 1 small cake

Quick Reply

Latest