The Student Room Group

Is it stealing?

I work in a pharmacy which is part of a really big chain. One half of the shop is dedicated to the pharmacy department which is where I work, and the other half is dedicated to cosmetics/perfumery, and sells high end ranges of makeup, cosmetics etc.
The woman who runs this department does not think twice of throwing away full items (like whole foundations, boxes of unused samples, powders etc) for simple reasons like they are going out of date, they don't sell well etc. If it was me I would offer them at least to staff. A while ago another woman who helps run that department (she only started a few months ago) was found with a whole shopping bag full of samples and it was believed she was going to sell them, which obviously you aren't allowed to do. It wasn't proven but I wonder whether this is the reason why she now throws them out instead of offering them to avoid a repeat of last time.
Anway one time I was putting the bin out and noticed all this stuff in there, I took it out of the bin and kept it (it was only a paper bin not a filthy one haha) and some of it I gave to my mum. Don't get me wrong it was not a large quantity. Would you say this is stealing? I don't think it is as it has been thrown out so not wanted, and nobody would miss it haha, but I feel a bit guilty for some reason? I am a very honest person.
Also, in the pharmacy department, care homes have to return meds to us at the end of every month regardless of if they are used or not, and absolutely everything has to be thrown out. Some are really expensive creams that I actually use myself, and the seal hasn't even been broken. Would you say this is stealing if I were to keep one or two of these, as they are only going to go in the bin so it saves them being wasted? I don't know why I feel bad, I have never taken anything before!!

Original post by javvyjingle

I work in a pharmacy which is part of a really big chain. One half of the shop is dedicated to the pharmacy department which is where I work, and the other half is dedicated to cosmetics/perfumery, and sells high end ranges of makeup, cosmetics etc.
The woman who runs this department does not think twice of throwing away full items (like whole foundations, boxes of unused samples, powders etc) for simple reasons like they are going out of date, they don't sell well etc. If it was me I would offer them at least to staff. A while ago another woman who helps run that department (she only started a few months ago) was found with a whole shopping bag full of samples and it was believed she was going to sell them, which obviously you aren't allowed to do. It wasn't proven but I wonder whether this is the reason why she now throws them out instead of offering them to avoid a repeat of last time.
Anway one time I was putting the bin out and noticed all this stuff in there, I took it out of the bin and kept it (it was only a paper bin not a filthy one haha) and some of it I gave to my mum. Don't get me wrong it was not a large quantity. Would you say this is stealing? I don't think it is as it has been thrown out so not wanted, and nobody would miss it haha, but I feel a bit guilty for some reason? I am a very honest person.
Also, in the pharmacy department, care homes have to return meds to us at the end of every month regardless of if they are used or not, and absolutely everything has to be thrown out. Some are really expensive creams that I actually use myself, and the seal hasn't even been broken. Would you say this is stealing if I were to keep one or two of these, as they are only going to go in the bin so it saves them being wasted? I don't know why I feel bad, I have never taken anything before!!

Stealing, possibly considered so by your workplace. I would really avoid it. Your workplace probably has quite strict rules on this
It probably is "officially" stealing but I would still take the makeup anyway, as if they're throwing it away, what difference does it make to them?

You're still probably better off actually asking them if you can have the stuff rather than taking it from the bin.

Also regarding the medication, creams etc from care homes, I really WOULDNT take or use them as some of them will be returned to the pharmacist for destroying and disposal for a certain reason - plus you can't always be sure that the medicine or cream was stored correctly and safely (temperature etc.)

I say don't touch the meds and stuff (get your own prescribed) and ask about the makeup!
yes it is stealing because these items are not yours. You did not get premission to take them.

The rules are probably like once those items are thrown away near the bins, that is the end, meaning no one should touch them period.

If you are so concerned why don't you politely ask if you can take some instead of secretly 'stealing' if you put it that way because to them under their policy it would be termes as stealing,
To a company yeah it would be considered stealing because you're taking their products without paying for them and you're doing it secretly.
Original post by javvyjingle

It depends. If I explain the answer then it will be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending