The Student Room Group

Selecting top 5 from 8 Universities

Hey,

So I'm an international student looking to apply to universities for 2018 in BSc. Computer Science (Preferably with an Industrial Year). I have narrowed it down to these 8 universities,i'd really appreciate it if you guys can help me select my top 5 from them.

1. University of Manchester - BSc Comp. Sci with IY [I'm 98% sure i'm going to firm this]
2. University of Southampton - BSc Comp.Sci w/o IY
3. University of Nottingham - BSc Comp. Sci with IY
4. University of Birmingham - BSc Comp. Sci with IY
5. University of York - BSc Comp. Sci with IY
6. University of Bristol - BSc Comp. Sci w/o IY
7. Cardiff University - BSc Comp. Sci with IY
8. Lancaster University - BSc Comp. Sci w/o IY

Btw, I intend on doing a masters in Cyber Security after my bachelors hence why i have chosen some universities which have good Masters in Cyber Security courses so that if I want i can continue in the same university for masters.

Also I haven't included Edinburgh or St.Andrews as their bachelors course is 4 years long without even an industrial year. I know the top universities for computer science are Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc but due to budget constraints i am not considering them.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeFear
Hey,

So I'm an international student looking to apply to universities for 2018 in BSc. Computer Science (Preferably with an Industrial Year). I have narrowed it down to these 8 universities,i'd really appreciate it if you guys can help me select my top 5 from them.

1. University of Manchester - BSc Comp. Sci with IY [I'm 98% sure i'm going to firm this]

Btw, I intend on doing a masters in Cyber Security after my bachelors hence why i have chosen some universities which have good Masters in Cyber Security courses so that if I want i can continue in the same university for masters.

Also I haven't included Edinburgh or St.Andrews as their bachelors course is 4 years long without even an industrial year. I know the top universities for computer science are Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc but due to budget constraints i am not considering them.

From your list, based purely on my knowledge of their CS schools:

1) Southampton
2) Bristol
3) Manchester
4) Birmingham
5) York
Advice here on making choices - How to avoid 5 rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Read it all carefully.
Original post by LeFear
Hey,

Manchester
Bristol
Nottingham
Southampton
Birmingham

In that order, in terms of CompSci rep and overall prestige. S'ton is good for CompSci but it's overall prestige isnt as high as Bristol etc.
Original post by thatapanydude
Manchester
Bristol
Nottingham
Southampton
Birmingham

In that order, in terms of CompSci rep and overall prestige. S'ton is good for CompSci but it's overall prestige isnt as high as Bristol etc.

May I ask why Lancaster isn't in your list? consistently a top 10 UK uni, ranked higher than all of the others. is their computer science department really that bad?
Original post by LeFear
Hey,

You can do 2nd year entry at Edinburgh with A*AA (incl. Maths and FM) and St Andrews with AAA (incl. three sciences and evidence of previous programming experience) so they'll be 3 year degrees.
Reply 6
That's true but I'd rather not miss the other modules that they teach at year 1 which would put me at a disadvantage for the further years. Is it worth going to those universities for four years just for their name whereas i can go to another university and at the same time also have an years work experience or have completed my master's (after a 3 year course).
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
May I ask why Lancaster isn't in your list? consistently a top 10 UK uni, ranked higher than all of the others. is their computer science department really that bad?

Mainly due to student ratings is why Lancaster is in the top 10. Bristol, Southampton and Manchester are very well known around the Computer Science circle for teaching and research, this isn't that case with Lancaster. If all things were equal i'm pretty sure all the major tech firms would take a grad from Bristol, Manchester over Lancaster simply because of the rigours nature of the degree.
Mainly due to student ratings is why Lancaster is in the top 10. Bristol, Southampton and Manchester are very well known around the Computer Science circle for teaching and research, this isn't that case with Lancaster. If all things were equal i'm pretty sure all the major tech firms would take a grad from Bristol, Manchester over Lancaster simply because of the rigours nature of the degree.

interesting. would you say this would also be the case for, say, Physics?
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
interesting. would you say this would also be the case for, say, Physics?

Yep for most in not all courses from Bristol, Nottingham and Manchester will be more rigours and have better career prospects than Lancaster. For Physics you should take a look at Manchester, I know a school friend who is studying there and it department is extremely well respected. Further point to note Brian Cox also does some of lectures as well!
Yep for most in not all courses from Bristol, Nottingham and Manchester will be more rigours and have better career prospects than Lancaster. For Physics you should take a look at Manchester, I know a school friend who is studying there and it department is extremely well respected. Further point to note Brian Cox also does some of lectures as well!

I looked at Manchester. No argument that that uni is a good one. But I'm not keen on the idea of living in Manchester, not a fan of the city
Original post by LeFear
I know the top universities for computer science are Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc but due to budget constraints i am not considering them.

Not sure I understand why you would exclude Oxbridge on budget grounds? London yes, it is notoriously expensive, but why Cambridge and Oxford?
Original post by Crumpet1
Not sure I understand why you would exclude Oxbridge on budget grounds? London yes, it is notoriously expensive, but why Cambridge and Oxford?

As above, particularly for Oxford, the costs of accommodation etc are comparable to any of the other universities listed. Cambridge is slightly higher than Oxford on average, but there are lower cost rooms in all colleges and it's much cheaper than London still (and cheaper than going to ARU even, as the colleges subsidize the cost significantly).
Original post by Crumpet1

OP is a international student and the fees for courses for international students vary from uni to uni

ie CS at oxford is £32k a year for tuition fees but CS at manchester is £22k a year
Original post by madmadmax321
OP is a international student and the fees for courses for international students vary from uni to uni

ie CS at oxford is £32k a year for tuition fees but CS at manchester is £22k a year

Ahh, the fact that overseas students have to pay a separate college fee on top of their university fee at Oxford was news to me.
Original post by LeFear
Hey,

Manchester is good. The city's a little rough.

Can we ask what your criteria are before we make suggestions? Is having the best Computer Science course important? Low cost living? Cheap pints? A good night out? Low crime in the city?
Original post by LeFear
That's true but I'd rather not miss the other modules that they teach at year 1 which would put me at a disadvantage for the further years. Is it worth going to those universities for four years just for their name whereas i can go to another university and at the same time also have an years work experience or have completed my master's (after a 3 year course).

With the Scottish system, you take modules outside of your core degree subject in your first and second year (e.g. you can take Physics and Maths alongside Computer Science in first year) - this is the main benefit of Scottish higher education.

When you do 2nd year entry, you 'lose' this flexibility and take only Computer Science modules.

Many of the courses you listed above are 4 year degrees if you take the 'Year in Industry' into account.
Reply 17
Original post by Capricancer
With the Scottish system, you take modules outside of your core degree subject in your first and second year (e.g. you can take Physics and Maths alongside Computer Science in first year) - this is the main benefit of Scottish higher education.

When you do 2nd year entry, you 'lose' this flexibility and take only Computer Science modules.

Many of the courses you listed above are 4 year degrees if you take the 'Year in Industry' into account.

But you do still miss the computer science models being taught in the first year right? Also 4 years including an years experience would be much more helpful rather than 4 years without. I know that it would be the same if I'm going for a master's course right after but just having that years experience might sway me to a different career in computer science rather than just jumping the gun on a master's that i won't enjoy.

Original post by ThatOldGuy
Manchester is good. The city's a little rough.

Can we ask what your criteria are before we make suggestions? Is having the best Computer Science course important? Low cost living? Cheap pints? A good night out? Low crime in the city?

Honestly, i know it's not the most realistic answer but I'd like to go to a uni which has the best of both worlds i.e a good computer science course for future employability but also options for a social scene in and out of uni.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LeFear
But you do still miss the computer science models being taught in the first year right? Also 4 years including an years experience would be much more helpful rather than 4 years without. I know that it would be the same if I'm going for a master's course right after but just having that years experience might sway me to a different career in computer science rather than just jumping the gun on a master's that i won't enjoy.

Honestly, i know it's not the most realistic answer but I'd like to go to a uni which has the best of both worlds i.e a good computer science course for future employability but also options for a social scene in and out of uni.

Newcastle!
Ew Manchester. Thats full of Northerners.

Ngl every guy I know in real life from Manchester is an actual C*nt :lol: Apart from one, used to smoke weed with him n he was super chill.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending