The Student Room Group

Medicine application 2018

I got 7As 3Bs (Eng lang, Statistics and biology) and C(Spanish)
A2 predictions: AAA
AS:B(maths-dropped)
UKCAT: 630(Band 2)
Universities applying to: Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield so far. Any thought as to whether il have a chance and what other unis I should look at. Thank you.
Keele and Bristol with a good personal statement.
Reply 2
Original post by ArcaneMists
Keele and Bristol with a good personal statement.

What about Aberdeen or St Andrews?
Original post by Hassan1121
What about Aberdeen or St Andrews?

Aberdeen is based on ukcat and predictions so I'm not sure how strong you would be. St. Andrews is for all rounders.
50% Academic: competitive standards are 8 As at GCSE and predicted/achieved grades of A*AA (AAAAB at Higher and at least 2 A grade predictions for S6 study for Scottish applicants). Those with achieved grades will score higher, giving re-applicants an advantage.
15% UKCAT: a cut-off score is operated, based on the international average (usually around 615-625). The UKCAT is also used alongside all other data to rank applicants after interview, where the average UKCAT score for successful applicants for 2012 entry was 675.
15% Personal statement and reference.
20% Interview.
Reply 4
Aberdeen is based on ukcat and predictions so I'm not sure how strong you would be. St. Andrews is for all rounders.
50% Academic: competitive standards are 8 As at GCSE and predicted/achieved grades of A*AA (AAAAB at Higher and at least 2 A grade predictions for S6 study for Scottish applicants). Those with achieved grades will score higher, giving re-applicants an advantage.
15% UKCAT: a cut-off score is operated, based on the international average (usually around 615-625). The UKCAT is also used alongside all other data to rank applicants after interview, where the average UKCAT score for successful applicants for 2012 entry was 675.
15% Personal statement and reference.
20% Interview.

Thank you very much that helped a lot. Based on what you've told me I'm thinking of applying to Manchester, Liverpool, and two others. After looking at Sheffield I do not think I stand a good chance. Other universities I'm thinking of looking at is Plymouth or Hull York. Thoughts?
Thank you very much that helped a lot. Based on what you've told me I'm thinking of applying to Manchester, Liverpool, and two others. After looking at Sheffield I do not think I stand a good chance. Other universities I'm thinking of looking at is Plymouth or Hull York. Thoughts?

Manchester's guideline is to be in top 7th decile, so it is risky for you. Sheffields cutoff is usually around 667. Plymouth I think is ukcat heavy as well. Hull York is a mixture of GCSEs and ukcat. I think you would do well to write a great personal statement and apply for Bristol and Keele.
Reply 6
Manchester's guideline is to be in top 7th decile, so it is risky for you. Sheffields cutoff is usually around 667. Plymouth I think is ukcat heavy as well. Hull York is a mixture of GCSEs and ukcat. I think you would do well to write a great personal statement and apply for Bristol and Keele.

I think il go for Manchester, Liverpool, Keele and one more... I am not sure about Bristol as they are 11th in the ranking and I know it will be risky
Reply 7
I think il go for Manchester, Liverpool, Keele and one more... I am not sure about Bristol as they are 11th in the ranking and I know it will be risky

Also my personal statement consists of :
work experience in hospital, GP , Care service, Pharmacy, Dentistry

Extra circular, Volunteering for 2 places, Job, National Deaf Children Campaign, football, boxing, sport leaders, and mentoring students.

If worded correctly do you think that is enough?
Also my personal statement consists of :
work experience in hospital, GP , Care service, Pharmacy, Dentistry

Extra circular, Volunteering for 2 places, Job, National Deaf Children Campaign, football, boxing, sport leaders, and mentoring students.

If worded correctly do you think that is enough?

It's not the amount, it's the quality. Also Manchester does take a holistic approach so make sure you write a great non academic form. Also ranking does not matter for medical schools. Bristol focuses on 20% GCSEs and 80% personal statement. Honestly your personal statement would be your greatest strength here with different work experience. I'd say that Bristol would be less risky than Manchester as Manchester is quite ukcat heavy.
Reply 9
It's not the amount, it's the quality. Also Manchester does take a holistic approach so make sure you write a great non academic form. Also ranking does not matter for medical schools. Bristol focuses on 20% GCSEs and 80% personal statement. Honestly your personal statement would be your greatest strength here with different work experience. I'd say that Bristol would be less risky than Manchester as Manchester is quite ukcat heavy.

Whats the weighting with Keele?
Whats the weighting with Keele?

Not sure but over 50% is personal statement. Very high emphasis on personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending