The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at oxbridge?

Im wondering whether my maths grade will in any way hinder my chances of applying to oxbridge.

my results were:
Maths: 5 (I think thats a C)
English Lit: 9
English Lang: 9
History: A*
Philosophy: A*
Latin: A*
Geography: A
Science (Core): A
Science (Additional): A
ICT: B

Im looking to apply for a history degree, i was considering re-sitting maths but I don't think I can do that extra work on top of my A Levels, will this be a problem? Should I be concerned?
Your grades are good, but that C does stand out; it might be worth asking an admissions tutor?
Reply 2
Original post by hxfsxh
Your grades are good, but that C does stand out; it might be worth asking an admissions tutor?

Yeah i agree, it definitely stands out, I asked if i could resit along with the students who failed & now have to resit but my college wasn't prepared to let me join the resit classes as i had technically passed, Ive been advised to enter as an external candidate but as i struggle with maths its going to be difficult to teach myself & i cant afford tutoring so Im really stuck for what to do
Reply 3
Original post by AletheaW
Yeah i agree, it definitely stands out, I asked if i could resit along with the students who failed & now have to resit but my college wasn't prepared to let me join the resit classes as i had technically passed, Ive been advised to enter as an external candidate but as i struggle with maths its going to be difficult to teach myself & i cant afford tutoring so Im really stuck for what to do

Your GCSEs are absolutely fine.

There's no point resitting that Maths GCSE, focus on your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Im wondering whether my maths grade will in any way hinder my chances of applying to oxbridge.

my results were:
Maths: 5 (I think thats a C)
English Lit: 9
English Lang: 9
History: A*
Philosophy: A*
Latin: A*
Geography: A
Science (Core): A
Science (Additional): A
ICT: B

Im looking to apply for a history degree, i was considering re-sitting maths but I don't think I can do that extra work on top of my A Levels, will this be a problem? Should I be concerned?

All fine, no real need to resit.
Reply 5
Don't resit maths, focus on your A Levels. Getting a better grade in GCSE maths isn't going to matter if you aren't on track to achieve the standard A Level offer because of the extra work, and it's not like you're applying to a subject where maths is relevant.
Reply 6
Original post by alow
Don't resit maths, focus on your A Levels. Getting a better grade in GCSE maths isn't going to matter if you aren't on track to achieve the standard A Level offer because of the extra work, and it's not like you're applying to a subject where maths is relevant.

Are you sure? I don't want it to hold me back?
Reply 7
Are you sure? I don't want it to hold me back?

It won't make any difference to an Oxbridge offer. Whereas compromising your A-levels would.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending