The Student Room Group

What am I paying 9250 for?

It has been two weeks of university, and although I am enjoying my course i would not justify the cost at 9250. In every lecture it has been powerpoint after powerpoint. Honestly I could self-teach myself most of the content that they have taught us in the first year.

They have literally no excuse to be charging students the absolute top rate of tuiton fees, especially when the teaching methods are sub par. It's ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

Every course 9250 even the useless ones like african studies
Someone has to pay for the vice chancellor's second house and the Tories think it should be you.
Original post by Hippysnake
Someone has to pay for the vice chancellor's second house and the Tories think it should be you.

It is rising to allow the opportunity for all to go to university if they wish for a certain job. Money doesn't grow on trees.

Original post by crosssafley
Every course 9250 even the useless ones like african studies

True
Original post by Spratty
It has been two weeks of university, and although I am enjoying my course i would not justify the cost at 9250. In every lecture it has been powerpoint after powerpoint. Honestly I could self-teach myself most of the content that they have taught us in the first year.

They have literally no excuse to be charging students the absolute top rate of tuiton fees, especially when the teaching methods are sub par. It's ridiculous.

What are you studying? I always feel it is unfair how the expensive courses to deliver (like medicine/engineering) are essentially subsidised by students on more light touch courses. They don’t really explain that to you beforehand...
Reply 5
Original post by ChrisN
What are you studying? I always feel it is unfair how the expensive courses to deliver (like medicine/engineering) are essentially subsidised by students on more light touch courses. They don’t really explain that to you beforehand...

I'm studying Computer Science. Many of the modules can be taught to yourself. The only module that requires some hands on teaching is the Java Programming module, and I still wouldn't justify an extortionate cost for that session.
Original post by Hippysnake

One of the lecturers on my course bought a brand new iPhone for their 6 year old daughter...because he felt that she 'needs' one. -_-
Reply 7
University is expensive, some lecturers are parrots. Not much you can do, if you need a degree.

You can transfer university, stay and finish or leave (Student Finance will charge this year though). First year usually is to catch up everyone to the same speed though. Second and third year will definitely be much harder.
Reply 8
Original post by Ishax
University is expensive, some lecturers are parrots. Not much you can do, if you need a degree.

You can transfer university, stay and finish or leave (Student Finance will charge this year though). First year usually is to catch up everyone to the same speed though. Second and third year will definitely be much harder.

Why would I transfer university when the cost is same everywhere?
A £9250 library card.
A piece of paper confirming that you have studied what you say. Not sure about others but I'm literally self teaching myself and giving them 9k for it.
Original post by ckfeister
It is rising to allow the opportunity for all to go to university if they wish for a certain job. Money doesn't grow on trees.

Rubbish. If the aim of universities was to get people into jobs they wanted they'd scrap 80% of their courses and you'd be left with a mixture of STEM and other core disciplines. The mere fact that in the face of poor employment prospects for some degrees, universities continue to offer them should raise alarm bells that perhaps the best interests of their students are not at heart.
Original post by Spratty
I'm studying Computer Science. Many of the modules can be taught to yourself. The only module that requires some hands on teaching is the Java Programming module, and I still wouldn't justify an extortionate cost for that session.

So where do you think the money for the buildings, equipment and teachers comes from.

Let’s say a lecturer earns 70k.

But basically your paying for the examination.
[video="youtube;e1DnltskkWk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1DnltskkWk[/video]

This scene from Good Will Hunting sums it up best.

The key quote is "You bombed 150k on an education you could have got for $1.50 in late charges at the public library." Savage.

Original post by Spratty

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by niteninja1
So where do you think the money for the buildings, equipment and teachers comes from.

Let’s say a lecturer earns 70k.

But basically your paying for the examination.

Ok. In my University there will be a new students union building being made. It will cost £10,000,000

(9250 per year) * (9500 number of students) = £87,875,000

Multiply that over a minimum of 3 years per degree gives you £ 263,625,000

How can you justify this amount of money down to the construction of buildings and equipment? In my course we're told to buy everything ourselves. The university does not pay for anything.
Original post by Spratty
Would be nice being a lecturer. 2-5 hours "teaching" a week, 30k+ salary.

Except that’s not all which lecturers do

Lecturing undergrads is something on the side for them. Usually, they are involved in research and other stuffs
Reply 16
Original post by faith 101
Except that’s not all which lecturers do

Lecturing undergrads is something on the side for them. Usually, they are involved in research and other stuffs

Thats true, however they're paid a salary for lecturing which is quite high. At the very least they could do something other than reading off powerpoint slides.
Original post by Spratty

Did you research what you were going to get before accepting their offer? Buyer beware.

There is the issue that almost all universities charge the maximum, but you can still chose where to apply and which offer(s) to accept. If yout don't think that any are worth the cost, you could self study.
You pay for the degree you get at the end; universities are businesses. If you genuinely feel like you could do it yourself, you could do an OU degree. It's much cheaper :smile:
Original post by Spratty
Thats true, however they're paid a salary for lecturing which is quite high. At the very least they could do something other than reading off powerpoint slides.

You mean like creating course content, coordinating courses, running tutorials/seminars/workshops, marking high volumes of assignments, supervising undergraduate/postgraduate students, running departments (if they are heads), etc?

The reason why the salary is high is because being a researcher/lecturer in any field is a highly skilled job that requires a lot of studying and practical experience, most of the time requiring 6+ years of commitment - you can't just pull a random guy off the street to effectively deliver a CS module, for example.

Yes, tuitions fees are high, but who else is going to pay for them?

Quick Reply

Latest