The Student Room Group

System lost my final assignment

Hi everyone,

I submitted my final assignment before the deadline, which was a mitigated assignment (due to bereavement) but was told I hadnt submitted all three parts (It wasn't clear in the assignnment brief)...I then added the other components and uploaded the document on to my uni's turnitin. I then learned that the second version would not have been accepted or overwritten. My tutor then opened up a link with my name on it and asked me to submit there. I did that, took a screenshot as there was no digital receipt, then messaged her to ask if she had seen the assignment, along with the screenshot. She wrote back and said yes she had seen it....I was out of the country at the time..The day I was due to fly back to London, they had been trying to call me, but couldn't get ahold of me...As Ive said I was travelling back that day so wouldnt have had access to my uni email. Once I got home and saw the email, it said that the assignment which I had submitted was incomplete and that I needed to get in touch with her by 3pm. (that was the time of my flight). Went through my usb and sent them the assignment that I had submitted, again with the screenshot showing that the assignment was pending. Now that the grades have been uploaded, mine is showing as a non submission, which is incorrect...I went in to see the head of my course, and she couldn't find anything on the system other than the 1st assignment, she has seen the messages and screenshot, but is saying they cannot tell what was submitted....Now i have to appeal and this was the response from the head of department. "The problem with the screenshot is that it does not show what the work actually is, that why I was wondering whether you had sent it to yourself in an e-mail?"

Im not sure how to tackle this, because I have no reason to not submit my final assignment..I did complete and upload to the link with my name, which they can see in the screenshot...I feel they are doing everything they can to not let me graduate....

NB: on the assignment brief it said that partial or incomplete assignments would mean grades are reduced...Not that a student would have to repeat the whole module, which is what they are trying to make me do..

Im angry because ive always been a student who submitted on or before the deadline...I've worked so hard over these last 3 years, and still pushed through after losing my mother, to now be denied the chance to graduate......

Anyone been through something similar, and how do I fight this?
Original post by AmaX
Hi everyone,

I submitted my final assignment before the deadline, which was a mitigated assignment (due to bereavement) but was told I hadnt submitted all three parts (It wasn't clear in the assignnment brief)...I then added the other components and uploaded the document on to my uni's turnitin. I then learned that the second version would not have been accepted or overwritten. My tutor then opened up a link with my name on it and asked me to submit there. I did that, took a screenshot as there was no digital receipt, then messaged her to ask if she had seen the assignment, along with the screenshot. She wrote back and said yes she had seen it....I was out of the country at the time..The day I was due to fly back to London, they had been trying to call me, but couldn't get ahold of me...As Ive said I was travelling back that day so wouldnt have had access to my uni email. Once I got home and saw the email, it said that the assignment which I had submitted was incomplete and that I needed to get in touch with her by 3pm. (that was the time of my flight). Went through my usb and sent them the assignment that I had submitted, again with the screenshot showing that the assignment was pending. Now that the grades have been uploaded, mine is showing as a non submission, which is incorrect...I went in to see the head of my course, and she couldn't find anything on the system other than the 1st assignment, she has seen the messages and screenshot, but is saying they cannot tell what was submitted....Now i have to appeal and this was the response from the head of department. "The problem with the screenshot is that it does not show what the work actually is, that why I was wondering whether you had sent it to yourself in an e-mail?"

Im not sure how to tackle this, because I have no reason to not submit my final assignment..I did complete and upload to the link with my name, which they can see in the screenshot...I feel they are doing everything they can to not let me graduate....

NB: on the assignment brief it said that partial or incomplete assignments would mean grades are reduced...Not that a student would have to repeat the whole module, which is what they are trying to make me do..

Im angry because ive always been a student who submitted on or before the deadline...I've worked so hard over these last 3 years, and still pushed through after losing my mother, to now be denied the chance to graduate......

Anyone been through something similar, and how do I fight this?

Perhaps you can get a log showing it was sent ask IT.

Also maybe you can get the meta data from your word document showing when it was created or from the e-mail showing where it was sent to remove the option of sending it to yourself?

The rest is going to have to be fact of circumstance to show you would have no reason not to hand it in previous record and marks etc.

I think you have a difficult task though. How could the assignment be incomplete? Why would you leave it so late?

I would be wary of the uni policy though because the onus is likely to be on you to hand it in on time
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Perhaps you can get a log showing it was sent ask IT.

Also maybe you can get the meta data from your word document showing when it was created or from the e-mail showing where it was sent to remove the option of sending it to yourself?

The rest is going to have to be fact of circumstance to show you would have no reason not to hand it in previous record and marks etc.

I think you have a difficult task though. How could the assignment be incomplete? Why would you leave it so late?

I would be wary of the uni policy though because the onus is likely to be on you to hand it in on time

Hi tigger, I will put those suggestions to my tutor and see what they say....The assignment brief that I had, did not say the three assignments which were done at different intervals had to be collated into one document..I was grieving at the time of the 2nd and 3rd stage that the assignment was being handed out and completed, as I wasn't attending class, but arranging my mother's funeral, plus supporting my children and other family members through that arduous time. I did not leave it til late, but had submitted the revised version of the document, which was a critical analysis on an article.. It was only after I submitted it, that i was told it was incomplete. The document had a critical analysis, a peer to peer critique and a reflective essay. What I did was to include the peer to peer in my final word count with my reflective piece, that is what they said was incomplete. Ive explained that I had asked on several occasions for help to ensure I understood what they wanted, but got no support. I then had to go on my own initiative and use the older assignment brief as a guide. My reflective essay was very short as i hadn't had the opportunity of attending classes, or participating in group activities, so I could write it in full. Instead, of saying that my assignment wasn't submitted, I would have thought that a mark down in grades would have been more applicable, as stated in the assignment brief. That is not what has/ is happening. They want me to repeat the module, which means I won't be graduating nor getting my degree. That i believe is unfair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending