The Student Room Group

Going to uni without my parents knowing

Ok. So I have recently been told that I am not allowed to go to university ( wow can u guess I'm south Asian shocker ) but let's just say there is absolutely no way I can convince my parents to let me go. So I have decided that I will attend university without them knowing as I really want a degree and do not want to rely on a man for the rest of my life. I am only allowed to work in a school and so I can fake that in working part time in a primary school and use my loans to fake that I am working. The problem is that I have to be back home by 4.30 ( to further my teaching lie ) and so can any of you pls tell me what universities you go to and any courses in which your seminars finish before 4. Also, I live in bham and so cannot go to a university too far from here.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catfisheveryday
Ok. So I have recently been told that I am not allowed to go to university ( wow can u guess I'm south Asian shocker ) but let's just say there is absolutely no way I can convince my parents to let me go. So I have decided that I will attend university without them knowing as I really want a degree and do not want to rely on a man for the rest of my life. I am only allowed to work in a school and so I can fake that in working part time in a primary school and use my loans to fake that I am working. The problem is that I have to be back home by 4.30 ( to further my teaching lie ) and so can any of you pls tell me what universities you go to and any courses in which your seminars finish before 4. Also, I live in bham and so cannot go to a university too far from here.

How will you fund it? You need to submit parental income to get loans.
Original post by Muttley79
How will you fund it? You need to submit parental income to get loans.

I have my parental income sheet thing since I asked my dad for it , when applying for a bursary
I have my parental income sheet thing since I asked my dad for it , when applying for a bursary

That won't be enough as you'll need up to date info, Parents need to complete the form re income.
I honestly don't think you'll be able to get away with getting a degree without your parent knowing, you can't choose what time the lectures are and they might be after 4.30.
Good luck with what you do
That won't be enough as you'll need up to date info, Parents need to complete the form re income.

I can get my brother to get it for me
I can get my brother to get it for me

You'd forge a signature?
You'd forge a signature?

Nah. Thanks anyways tho
Why don't you do an apprenticeship that way you will be earning money whilst getting some form of education? Or go to a college and do a course.
Your parents are cretins, and barbarian savages that have no notion of civilisation, the fact that they forbid their own child from getting a better future astonishes me, I would runaway from those abysmal human beings who you are unfortunately living with. Its YOUR life don't let those animals ruin it for you.
Original post by stressedteen
Why don't you do an apprenticeship that way you will be earning money whilst getting some form of education? Or go to a college and do a course.

Thank you. But legit I'm not allowed to do anything but teaching
Are you 18 or over?
Nah. Thanks anyways tho

You need to look at the OU or do a degree level apprenticeship.

Otherwise you'd need to leave home and be independent for three years then apply to uni.
Reply 13
Why don't your parents want you to go uni? This is literally the most horrible thing I have ever heard. You can discuss the issue with your university and they can try to accomdate your timetable to your needs- especially if it's this serious-
With the student loan issue- you can say you don't get financial help from your parents at all or you could get your parents payslips and do it yourself---- good luck
This might be a shot in the dark, but why not just miss the lectures/seminars after 4:30?
Aren't they compulsory ?
Original post by Computer Geek
This might be a shot in the dark, but why not just miss the lectures/seminars after 4:30?
Why are you parents so against you getting an university education? It will be quite difficult for you to study for 3 to 4 years without them knowing.

If you are applying for loans and bursaries, they will need information from your parents. They do need to sign off on your loan applications in terms of confirming things like their income and finance details. I am unsure how you get your brother to do this.

If you are living with your parents, how can you stop letters from your university being sent there? Will they also not notice you doing your studying? As for lectures, you can't always control the times they are. It may be you get later lectures after 4.30pm. When I was at uni, I had a class that finished at 6pm.
Original post by Emla93
Why don't your parents want you to go uni? This is literally the most horrible thing I have ever heard. You can discuss the issue with your university and they can try to accomdate your timetable to your needs- especially if it's this serious-
With the student loan issue- you can say you don't get financial help from your parents at all or you could get your parents payslips and do it yourself---- good luck

Not trying to be cocky but I'm smarter than any of the men in my family. Yet higher education is ' mens work ' and women are supposed to stay at home. Thank you for help

Your parents cannot stop you getting an education. I would strongly suggest sitting down with your parents and telling them, not asking them, that you're going to university because you want an education. They will kick up a storm no doubt but there's not much they can do to stop you and would they really disown you for wanting to further your education? If they would then that really says something about your parents.

Go to university and tell your parents proudly that you are going whether they like it or not.
Thank you. But legit I'm not allowed to do anything but teaching

Why are your parents restricting you so much? Tf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending