The Student Room Group

Going to uni without my parents knowing

Scroll to see replies

I would but my parents are seriously ill and I do not want to deteriorate thier health

Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Your parents cannot stop you getting an education. I would strongly suggest sitting down with your parents and telling them, not asking them, that you're going to university because you want an education. They will kick up a storm no doubt but there's not much they can do to stop you and would they really disown you for wanting to further your education? If they would then that really says something about your parents.

Go to university and tell your parents proudly that you are going whether they like it or not.
Reply 21
Original post by Catfisheveryday
Not trying to be cocky but I'm smarter than any of the men in my family. Yet higher education is ' mens work ' and women are supposed to stay at home. Thank you for help

If your so smart, you should leave that oppressive home then. Don't live your life like that. Don't let your intelligence go to waste. Ten years down the line you will regret it.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Are you 18 or over?

Yea
I would but my parents are seriously ill and I do not want to deteriorate thier health

Do they rely on you for help? If so then that is a personal decision you have to make.

However if they're unwell anyway, going to university won't make them more unwell, they'll dislike you going but it's not like you're going abroad. If you go to a local university you could travel there and come home everyday, it would be no different to school.

University is hard enough as it is let alone trying to lie and do it all under the radar.
Yea

Once you're 18, your parents have no legal control over you. They cannot legally stop you doing anything. If you want to go to uni, you go to uni. They won't be happy but they don't control you anymore. You are an adult. Yes you will always be their child but they cannot make your decisions for you anymore. They need to realise that they cannot control your life.
Reply 25
You could have a look at the Open University, from what I know you can study in your own time and you won't have to move away. You could also get a job around this too.
http://www.open.ac.uk/
But can anyone give me a psychology timetable tho ? Near bham
This is 2017 and we're in the United Kingdom. We shouldn't tolerate such backward, ignorant, out-dated beliefs or stereotypes. If you want to go to uni there is no-one stopping you. Having to try and find a way to sneak around and do it behind someone's back is utterly ludicrous, and will obviously be exposed at some point.
But can anyone give me a psychology timetable tho ? Near bham

Of course we can't. You only get your timetable when you're enrolled at the uni and everything is confirmed. The timetables change every year and even during the year they still change. There's no way of knowing what time the lectures finish.
Are there any other relatives you can live with? Alternatively, is there a teacher you can trust to help you talk to your parents?
Oh ok. Thank you

Of course we can't. You only get your timetable when you're enrolled at the uni and everything is confirmed. The timetables change every year and even during the year they still change. There's no way of knowing what time the lectures finish.
Oh ok. Thank you

You cannot do a full-time undergraduate degree without your parents finding out. As much as you want to believe you can, you can't. They need to fill out student finance information and may need to speak directly to student finance too.
Original post by YaliaV
Are there any other relatives you can live with? Alternatively, is there a teacher you can trust to help you talk to your parents?

I know it seems weird as f but I have been given the most freedom when compared to my relatives. I'm not getting married. Previously, I was allowed to go to university but was told that I could not go as my cousins were not going
Lectures can be until 7pm btw. Maybe later.

Mine was 4 full days a week 10am - 5:30pm, and 7pm on one day of the week
Can your universities Acc change your timetables ??? Thank you

Original post by Emla93
Why don't your parents want you to go uni? This is literally the most horrible thing I have ever heard. You can discuss the issue with your university and they can try to accomdate your timetable to your needs- especially if it's this serious-
With the student loan issue- you can say you don't get financial help from your parents at all or you could get your parents payslips and do it yourself---- good luck
Original post by aza238
You could have a look at the Open University, from what I know you can study in your own time and you won't have to move away. You could also get a job around this too.
http://www.open.ac.uk/

Thank you
Can your universities Acc change your timetables ??? Thank you

I doubt they will for this reason. Won't be deemed serious enough. Parents controlling, nah not good enough. They'll say you're an adult and you can do what you want.
I doubt they will for this reason. Won't be deemed serious enough. Parents controlling, nah not good enough. They'll say you're an adult and you can do what you want.

Ah ok. Thanks to everyone anyway. I'll just deal with my *****y fate and earn 12k as a dumb teaching assistant
Ah ok. Thanks to everyone anyway. I'll just deal with my *****y fate and earn 12k as a dumb teaching assistant

Or... because you're an adult you can do what you want and go to uni?

Have you thought at about waiting until your 21? once you count as a mature student many of the rules change. Also, i imagine if you talk to a specific uni that you want to go to, your current school, or even the Citizens Advice Burro where you live they might be able to give you more advice on how to make it. They probably know more than we do. Also, if your brother is on your side thats definitely a good thing. If you had a late lecture you could just pass it off as a weekly meeting and get your brother to agree. I really hope there's some way you can make it to uni. As someone else recommended the Open uni might also be a good idea, then you can study from home while working and maybe keep your books in your brothers room or at the school you work in. You don't need your parents to second your Student finance form if you only claim for the smallest amount of money. so, if you only ask for the £9250 a year and £4000 for the maintenance I don't even think they are asked for it (but you will need to check this one) Every course will have about the same hrs in lecture if you want to go to uni but from experience the Humanities often have less hrs in lesson than the sciences. I hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending