The Student Room Group

What's the point?!

What's the point in trying to get into Oxbridge when everyone else has 100 A* GCSE grades and is predicted 45 A*'s at A-level (obviously an exaggeration but...) :frown:
Grades are only a part of admissions deciding who to give an offer. They also look at the individual applying - their personality, ambitions and other achievements. Grades will get you a look in, but you will also need to impress at interview.
Reply 2
Original post by econflower
What's the point in trying to get into Oxbridge when everyone else has 100 A* GCSE grades and is predicted 45 A*'s at A-level (obviously an exaggeration but...) :frown:

If you are on target to achieve the typical Offer then apply. No exaggeration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
If you are on target to achieve the typical Offer then apply. No exaggeration.

how much do gcses really matter for cambridge?
Reply 4

80% of applicants are invited for an interview to Cambridge. Getting a place is mostly dependent on your performance at the interview and exams (STEP, CSAT etc) rather than predicted A Level grades or GCSEs.
Reply 5
how much do gcses really matter for cambridge?

Barely.
Nobody has got an offer without applying. I'm proof that you don't need A*s across the board at GCSE to get an offer.
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
Nobody has got an offer without applying. I'm proof that you don't need A*s across the board at GCSE to get an offer.

If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get for your GCSE's?
If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get for your GCSE's?
3 A*s 5As 2Bs. They're still really good don't get me wrong. It's just significantly less than the typical Oxbridge.:smile:

I got 3 A*s at GCSE, AAB at AS, and A*A*A* at A2. I got into Cambridge. I have been here for 8 days. :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I got 3 A*s, AAB at AS, and A*A*A* at A2. I got into Cambridge. I have been here for 8 days. :tongue:

that's amazing well done!! what grades did you get at GCSE?
that's amazing well done!! what grades did you get at GCSE?

A*A*A*BBBCCDE :redface:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
A*A*A*BBBCCDE :redface:

Congrats dude.

Not to hijack someone else's thread but did you apply using extenuating circumstances?

What subject did you apply for?
Original post by lordrohan731
Congrats dude.

Not to hijack someone else's thread but did you apply using extenuating circumstances?

no worries, I was also wondering this
Original post by lordrohan731
Congrats dude.

History, and yes extenuating circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest