The Student Room Group

Medicine and Research?

So I'm interested in pursuing a career in medicine but I've been reading about it and am wondering whether an MD can lead to researching jobs? For example, working as a physician whilst researching a chosen subject. Also, can a physician get a PhD, how and would that benefit their careers in any way?
Original post by Mayonnaise2001
So I'm interested in pursuing a career in medicine but I've been reading about it and am wondering whether an MD can lead to researching jobs? For example, working as a physician whilst researching a chosen subject. Also, can a physician get a PhD, how and would that benefit their careers in any way?

Medical degrees aren't called "MD" in the UK. MD is actually usually a 2-year higher research degree for doctors in the UK.

Yes, you can do research while working as a physician. Such positions can be very competitive however.

Yes, physicians can get a PhD. It is necessary if they want to pursue an academic pathway. If they don't want to pursue an academic pathway, it can help with getting competitive jobs, and probably "looks good on a CV".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending