The Student Room Group

21 too old to study Media at Uni?

I'm thinking of applying to go to uni next year to study something like media & communications or digital media practises. I'll be 21 when I start and don't know if I'd be the odd one out for my age, I don't want to exclude myself automatically for being older even though I'm keen to make friends there.

I know that a degree isn't a requirement in the media industry but I feel like I didn't learn enough from my a levels. I'm concerned that if I did go that when I go to get a job I'll not have enough experience for my age.

Thanks
after 18 age is just another number, in uni all the girls call me papi :wink:
People won't even know you're older unless you tell them. There'll be other students who are much older than you anyway.
Honestly age wouldn't have an effect on you making friends at Uni and I doubt you'd be the only older guy on your course. There's a couple of guys in their mid to late 20's on my course and they're getting on fine.
Reply 4
21 is still young enough to hang out with - and probably get placed with those fresh out of A level. If you want to go to uni I say do it now as you COULD go at any age but as a mature student it wont quite be the same
I'm 22 and three weeks in to my first year of Media, Culture and Communication. There are people younger than me, older than me, and others my age, and it really doesn't matter!

At my uni they have halls for students over 20, which I opted for, and that has been great. But in lectures/seminars any age gap makes no difference :smile:
You really wouldn't. At uni a lot of people aren't your age in your lectures it's nbd most of my friends from uni are older. I do media and there are people in my course who are like 30+.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous_97
I'm thinking of applying to go to uni next year to study something like media & communications or digital media practises. I'll be 21 when I start and don't know if I'd be the odd one out for my age, I don't want to exclude myself automatically for being older even though I'm keen to make friends there.

I know that a degree isn't a requirement in the media industry but I feel like I didn't learn enough from my a levels. I'm concerned that if I did go that when I go to get a job I'll not have enough experience for my age.

Thanks

lYour age is NOT an issue. I finished my Masters in Engineering in 1987, when i was 45. The statement "to study 'something like' media & communications or...." IS a problem [IMHO]. What are you planning on doing with such a 'degree'??? Do you think you can earn a living with it??? If so, what gave you that idea??? Did you interview 5 or 6 people who HAVE degrees in this, and did they tell you that they were earning a decent living, and enjoy the work??? If you have not interviewed such qualified people, i would encourage you to do so in the strongest terms!! You are proposing to expend 4 or 5 years of your life, and a substantial amount of money, do quite a lot of work, and don't have much idea what you're going to do with the final result, or whether or not it will benefit you at all. I think this is NUTZ!! Good luck!!
Original post by Charlotte.e.R.
I'm 22 and three weeks in to my first year of Media, Culture and Communication. There are people younger than me, older than me, and others my age, and it really doesn't matter!

At my uni they have halls for students over 20, which I opted for, and that has been great. But in lectures/seminars any age gap makes no difference :smile:

Thank you so much! It's good to hear from someone in the same position. That sounds really great about the halls for over 20's, I wish more uni's would offer that option.
Your age isn't an issue as people go to university at different stages in their life. If you feel that going to university to study media will benefit you and your career, then go for it. At the same time, try to get work experience and internships in media as this will massively help you. Media is a tough industry and you really need to break out from the others.
Original post by Rabbit2
lYour age is NOT an issue. I finished my Masters in Engineering in 1987, when i was 45. The statement "to study 'something like' media & communications or...." IS a problem [IMHO]. What are you planning on doing with such a 'degree'??? Do you think you can earn a living with it??? If so, what gave you that idea??? Did you interview 5 or 6 people who HAVE degrees in this, and did they tell you that they were earning a decent living, and enjoy the work??? If you have not interviewed such qualified people, i would encourage you to do so in the strongest terms!! You are proposing to expend 4 or 5 years of your life, and a substantial amount of money, do quite a lot of work, and don't have much idea what you're going to do with the final result, or whether or not it will benefit you at all. I think this is NUTZ!! Good luck!!

Thank you for your post, I respect your opinion and will definitely take this into consideration. I know exactly what course at what uni I would like to study, I was just generalising for the question. I know 2 people who have studied a degree relating to the media industry and they both enjoy their work and have a good income. I understand this isn't the case for everyone, I'm not excluding any other options other than university but I just wanted insight from others before I continue to research :smile:
Original post by cheesecakelove
Your age isn't an issue as people go to university at different stages in their life. If you feel that going to university to study media will benefit you and your career, then go for it. At the same time, try to get work experience and internships in media as this will massively help you. Media is a tough industry and you really need to break out from the others.

Thanks for the advice. Good idea about the internships / work experience. I still have reservations about uni due to how old I'll be when I finish and like you said it's tough to break into so maybe I'd be better off going down the internship route and seeing if that leads to something :smile:
I was 34 when I started and I wasn't the oldest. Honestly I doubt abyone can really even tell the difference between an 18 and 21 year old these days.
Original post by Sceptical_John
I was 34 when I started and I wasn't the oldest. Honestly I doubt abyone can really even tell the difference between an 18 and 21 year old these days.

Well, perhaps not 18 and 21, but more likely between 18 and 34. The difference most likely would be that the 34 yr old has a much higher chance of knowing what they are doing, and being able to get decent grades because of it. Cheers.
Original post by Rabbit2
Well, perhaps not 18 and 21, but more likely between 18 and 34. The difference most likely would be that the 34 yr old has a much higher chance of knowing what they are doing, and being able to get decent grades because of it. Cheers.

well yes my reference to '21' was that was the age of the op referred too.

As for "able to get decent grade" due to being older I think there are some pros and cons. With maturity so does the desire decrease to go on all weekend benders at the student bar, but there are also many other life commitments accumulated throughout the years. Purely academically speaking then a 34 year old has been out of education for some time so in that sense it can also be difficult.
I’m 22 4th year and easily pass as a fresher even after I graduate probably

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending