The Student Room Group

Can I lie about work experience for medicine application 2018

I worked in my dad's business for every half term, every weekend (saturday), and the whole of summer (7 days a week literally the whole summer and had 1 day off). I am a hard worker, but i just didnt get the chance to go to do work experience and when i did i wanted to work in my schools technicians for 2 weeks to show genuine interest in science.
Now the ethical question is do I lie or not, because every personal statement example I see there is work experience there. Work experience such as shadowing doctors or consultants and so on for medicine application
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hdudhdbdhhf
I worked in my dad's business for every half term, every weekend (saturday), and the whole of summer (7 days a week literally the whole summer and had 1 day off). I am a hard worker, but i just didnt get the chance to go to do work experience and when i did i wanted to work in my schools technicians for 2 weeks to show genuine interest in science.
Now the ethical question is do I lie or not, because every personal statement example I see there is work experience there. Work experience such as shadowing doctors or consultants and so on for medicine application

Yes you can. Be as imaginative as you want.
If you get caught though they are likely to bar you and you will lose all your applications.

If they find out later they can remove you from the course.
It's not worth the risk. It's on there as a talking point during interview, so you will be asked about it if you put it. If they find out you're a liar, it'll hurt your chances of entry a lot more than limited work experience.
Reply 3

Please don't lie, if the unis find out (many will question you at interview about it and get suspicious if things don't match up, or ask for phone numbers or emails of your supervisors/ a reference from your supervisor), they will chuck your application in the bin. Nobody says you need hospital work experience, if you worked with customers at your dad's business, you could talk about the communication skills you gained, but be careful not to pick unis requiring caring experience. Above all, you could always do a gap year and gain some experience then, a year out would be a good opportunity to gain some experience.
(edited 6 years ago)
Take a Gap Year. Get a job in a hospital, hospice or aged-care home. Think about why you actually want to do Medicine - or even if you actually want to do it at all.

In the meantime, forget about applying for Medicine, forget about UCAS. Just pput in as much work as you can on your A levels. Then think about what you are going to do with them.
Of course you can lie, but you shouldn't. If you do and you get caught, they'll rip up your application straight away.
Don't do it. Knew someone who did, the medical school checked. Not given an interview and 'bar on an applying to any medical school. Sadly you need to demonstrate a commitment to medicine and work experience also demonstrates that you understand what the work involves and that it isn't like holby city!

You cant lie about having work experience you don't have, but working in your father's business is work experience like any other. However, for medicine, you need medical work experience which you don't seem to have.
If you don't have sufficient moral intuition to answer this question for yourself then you certainly don't belong at medical school.
Reply 9
Don't lie. It's never the best thing to do. People really value honesty and even if you don't have lots of work experience you can explain why. It's hard to get experience so anything other like voluntary work is highly valued too.

You absolutely don't unless you want to start off your career in medicine by showing you're extremely dishonest and untrustworthy.

As a (potentially future) medical student you would be subject to the same rules regarding honesty and probity as a qualified doctor; what you're asking about is very unethical:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/good_medical_practice/20462.asp

You could have sorted out your work experience earlier, but the fact that you haven't doesn't mean you should ruin your future over it. My advice would be to apply for work experience from now and think about applying for 2019 entry.
If you do lie, you don’t deserve to get in
I'm not surprised that a potential applicant would wonder if they could get away with this. I am surprised that one would entertain the idea for long enough to ask about it on a public forum, as if looking for people to tell them it's a reasonable option.

Honesty is one of the cornerstones of medical practice. If you're prepared to lie about this, what else are you prepared to lie about?

Don't do it.
Reply 13
There is actually a purpose of doing work experience beyond tick boxes you know. It's a good way to get some kind of sense about whether the vocation is for you. Doing some work experience might save you 5/6 years of a degree that you have no desire to do.
To be honest I wasn't going to do it regardless of the responses I was genuinely intrigued about this topic, it is called a personal statement for a reason and I was certain being honest and talking about my situation would be fine. Everyone talks about shadowing consultants in their personal statements and my approach might stand out as well as suggesting that I will do my work experience in Christmas. My friend was very insisting into lying about his one and I told him its not ethically right to do so and he suggested to me that I should do the same. Which is why I came here
Reply 15
What to do when your friend tells you he lied in his medical PS was actually ethical scenario in my Nottingham interview.

Fun fact: I said I wouldn't tell the teacher, but I would insist he does that and I got an offer. My friend who said he would tell the teacher straight away as it is unethical didn't get in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending