The Student Room Group

Do I need a profile section for my CV?

I've seen some CVs with profiles/personal statement section and others without. I'm applying for MSc/MRes courses so does anyone with experience in this area know if I need a profile section or not? Thanks x
Original post by misteltain
I've seen some CVs with profiles/personal statement section and others without. I'm applying for MSc/MRes courses so does anyone with experience in this area know if I need a profile section or not? Thanks x

No, absolutely not. A CV is already a summary document, it doesn't need it's own summary. A profile section useful only as a) an easy way out for CV advisers to fill 10% of a CV with no effort or b) a proper summary of someone with at least 5 years professional experience that 'pigeonholes' them in the specific role
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
No, absolutely not. A CV is already a summary document, it doesn't need it's own summary. A profile section useful only as a) an easy way out for CV advisers to fill 10% of a CV with no effort or b) a proper summary of someone with at least 5 years professional experience that 'pigeonholes' them in the specific role

Perfect, thanks for the prompt reply. In this case, I assume I can go straight into it with the education section?
Original post by misteltain
Perfect, thanks for the prompt reply. In this case, I assume I can go straight into it with the education section?

Yes, especially for an academic application, that leads off with your most relevant info and makes a strong start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending