The Student Room Group

unconditional offer from uni but ended up with DDD at A level

If one had recieved a unconditional offer from a RG uni
for law but then ****ed up at A level and got DDD would you resit the year or just go into the first year of uni and forget about those A level they had got

Scroll to see replies

I would forget about the A Levels
i first thought forget about A levels but then if one was to get all Ds at a course that required As which most RGUs want for law then it shows that indiviual isnt really ready for the demand of the course
If I were you, I would definitely forget about the A Level and move on. Because it might be you didn't perform well in your exams due to poor status, I guess.
Original post by liam189
If one had recieved a unconditional offer from a RG uni
for law but then ****ed up at A level and got DDD would you resit the year or just go into the first year of uni and forget about those A level they had got

My concern would be for when you graduate, if you want to go into law as a career dont most law firms require minimum grades at A-level for their schemes? (I could be wrong with this)
Reply 5
Original post by wonderuss
I would forget about the A Levels

ohhh i thought they still mattered for a career in law
Reply 6
Original post by spiderman17
If I were you, I would definitely forget about the A Level and move on. Because it might be you didn't perform well in your exams due to poor status, I guess.

i was thinking the same at first but dont A levels get looked at a fair bit if lets say one was to enter a career in law ?
Original post by liam189
ohhh i thought they still mattered for a career in law

It depends which law firm/graduate scheme - some do care about A Levels
Reply 8
Original post by madmadmax321
My concern would be for when you graduate, if you want to go into law as a career dont most law firms require minimum grades at A-level for their schemes? (I could be wrong with this)

thats what i was thinking to be honest as i also thought A levels get looked at a fair bit for law after uni
Original post by liam189
i was thinking the same at first but dont A levels get looked at a fair bit if lets say one was to enter a career in law ?

Yea, but I would highly recommend that you should google it or ask sb u know about whether the law firm will look at yr A Level results or not. If not, just forget about A Level
Original post by liam189

A career in law is vague. If you want to work at a multi-national law firm, yes they matter. But for an average solicitor or an average barrister they won't.
Original post by liam189
thats what i was thinking to be honest as i also thought A levels get looked at a fair bit for law after uni

You're best off posting this in the legal section of the careers bit on tsr to get some advice on that. You are more likely to find more people who know lots about it there and try googling it too (ie look at the schemes of various law firms) if you know more where you want to end up within the career.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Well the easiest and most desirable choice would probably be to progress to uni. However the main thing is why did you mess up in your A-levels, is it because of a lack of revision/interest on your end or the school/college you go to is not up to scratch. If it is the latter and you are therefore genuinely failing due to the quality of education then progressing to uni would probably be the better option. However if it is the former reason, you have to ask yourself if you're ready for uni if you struggled with your A-levels (I am in my final year of uni however and personally found uni to be easier than A-levels). Also what A-levels did you do, e.g. If you did maths/science orientated subjects and you're finding it difficult, you wouldn't have that at uni so may do better, however if your A-levels are relevant and you're struggling then perhaps law may not be the right course.

There's also the issue of employment aswell, some employers do look beyond your degree as a way of shortlisting candidates. However if you can get a good classification at a RG uni, along with trying to complete work experience in between studies aswell, then that will put you in a much better position (personally I think experience is more important nowadays) :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
A career in law is vague. If you want to work at a multi-national law firm, yes they matter. But for an average solicitor or an average barrister they won't.

i was thinking of going down the solicitor route i have seen a lot of TSR in particular about A levels being looked at a lot thats why i was very unsure about it
Reply 14
Original post by madmadmax321
You're best off posting this in the legal section of the careers bit on tsr to get some advice on that. You are more likely to find more people who know lots about it there and try googling it too (ie look at the schemes of various law firms) if you know more where you want to end up within the career.

yeah i will try getting this thread moved to a more relevant part of TSR and yeah i have been a lot of them do ask for A levels
Reply 15
Original post by spiderman17
Yea, but I would highly recommend that you should google it or ask sb u know about whether the law firm will look at yr A Level results or not. If not, just forget about A Level

yea i have googled it but their are a lot of different answers to this as a lot of firms do and some dont
Original post by liam189
yea i have googled it but their are a lot of different answers to this as a lot of firms do and some dont

I suggest you had better ask sb that is working in Law prospective. They might give u a better answer
Reply 17
Original post by r-t
Well the easiest and most desirable choice would probably be to progress to uni. However the main thing is why did you mess up in your A-levels, is it because of a lack of revision/interest on your end or the school/college you go to is not up to scratch. If it is the latter and you are therefore genuinely failing due to the quality of education then progressing to uni would probably be the better option. However if it is the former reason, you have to ask yourself if you're ready for uni if you struggled with your A-levels (I am in my final year of uni however and personally found uni to be easier than A-levels). Also what A-levels did you do, e.g. If you did maths/science orientated subjects and you're finding it difficult, you wouldn't have that at uni so may do better, however if your A-levels are relevant and you're struggling then perhaps law may not be the right course.

There's also the issue of employment aswell, some employers do look beyond your degree as a way of shortlisting candidates. However if you can get a good classification at a RG uni, along with trying to complete work experience in between studies aswell, then that will put you in a much better position (personally I think experience is more important nowadays) :smile:

I think as i got a unconditional offer and i knew of this offer very early on my form sort of droped of towards the summer and as i knew whatever mark i got i would be going to uni I got AAA at AS level which i was very pleased at and hoped to replicate or do better at A level but that unconditional offer from the uni i wanted to go made me very complacent more than anything looking back at my A level i would do stuff very differently
At A level i did history maths science biology
It has really made me think as to if i am really ready for my course and i know for law some firms look a A levels a lot
Did you have extenuating circumstances for getting those grades?
Reply 19
Original post by Crumpet1
Did you have extenuating circumstances for getting those grades?

i didnt why

Quick Reply

Latest