The Student Room Group

Loud flat mates

I'm about to start my 3rd week of uni and all but one of my flat mates are hyper party people.
They have held pre drinks in our flat 5 times in the last week and the last 3 times they haven't even bothered to tell me or the other quiet flat mate that they're hosting pre drinks!
I tried explaining that I needed to sleep and I would prefer if they didn't hold pre drinks in our flat on certain nights, but they wouldn't listen.
What should I do?
By the way, moving is not something I really want to do because it's so complicated and I don't want to leave my quiet flat mate behind.
Couldn't you just join them for pre-drinks, you can't expect them not to have fun just because you want to sleep.
buy some earplugs??
Reply 3
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Couldn't you just join them for pre-drinks, you can't expect them not to have fun just because you want to sleep.

It was 1am and I had to be up at 6:30 the next morning. Also I don't always feel like partying as I have social anxiety.
Reply 4
Original post by silverfox44
buy some earplugs??

I've tried some foam ones before but they didn't work. What type would you recommend?

Because they're so considerate right? Not telling your flatmates that you're gonna have people around is a bit of a **** move. OP I'm pretty sure you can report this to your accommodation if your flatmates refuse to co-operate
Reply 6
Original post by misteltain
Because they're so considerate right? Not telling your flatmates that you're gonna have people around is a bit of a **** move. OP I'm pretty sure you can report this to your accommodation if your flatmates refuse to co-operate

I'll give that a go :smile: thank you
Original post by AeBritt
I'll give that a go :smile: thank you

I wouldn't, you'll make the atmosphere in your flat terrible. TBH I'd try and stick it out for now. It's only pre drinks so they shouldn't be staying at yours that late. It's also likely that they'll be going out steadily less often as the year goes on. If they were at yours til 4-5am every day I'd say complain but for most people 1am isn't crazy late (I get it's too late and it's not nice of them) to go to bed. My guess is after Xmas it will only be happening once or maybe twice a week.
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
I wouldn't, you'll make the atmosphere in your flat terrible. TBH I'd try and stick it out for now. It's only pre drinks so they shouldn't be staying at yours that late. It's also likely that they'll be going out steadily less often as the year goes on. If they were at yours til 4-5am every day I'd say complain but for most people 1am isn't crazy late (I get it's too late and it's not nice of them) to go to bed. My guess is after Xmas it will only be happening once or maybe twice a week.

Okay :smile: thank you for the advice. I'll give it a while longer before I take action.
Reply 9
I would move but before I do - make sure where I move there were quiet housemates living there!

Forget about your quiet housemate, this is about you and you living in harmony.

Report it. Don't wait till it gets more worse.
You’re not paying thousands of pounds to be disturbed by your flat mates. Sleep and a stress free home environment are extremely important. Report them.
I'd give it maybe a couple more weeks. Hopefully by then they will have realised that they're university students, who are living on budgets with limited amounts of money. I think for many people, the cost of alcohol (which is extortionate at least where I'm staying at uni) and how much they buy per week starts to sink in after the first few weeks. Fingers crossed they'll discover this soon and they'll tone it down a bit :smile:
Original post by AeBritt
I'm about to start my 3rd week of uni and all but one of my flat mates are hyper party people.
They have held pre drinks in our flat 5 times in the last week and the last 3 times they haven't even bothered to tell me or the other quiet flat mate that they're hosting pre drinks!
I tried explaining that I needed to sleep and I would prefer if they didn't hold pre drinks in our flat on certain nights, but they wouldn't listen.
What should I do?
By the way, moving is not something I really want to do because it's so complicated and I don't want to leave my quiet flat mate behind.

where you randomly put in a flat with them? If they didn't listen the first time they're not going to be helpful next time. You might have to move
My flatmates last year just went our more often as the year went on lol
Does your uni have a system where you can request a transfer to another student accommodation? Mine does
I honestly understand., Unfortunately my loud flatmate lives just next door to me, he plays his loud music with his mates until around 4 in the morning and it's so loud that even my earplugs dont block the sound + the sound actually vibrates through my walls and desk etc. It has actually left me sleep deprived. I have called security many times(this occurs around 4-5 times a week) and he does not even bother to listen to them, or if he does he will turn it down for 5 minutes then turn it up again. I understand that it's 'the uni life' but honestly whats the point of having a bed in my room if it's too loud to even sleep? So my advice is to contact a possible residence tutor/accomodation office and keep a noise diary as evidence possibly with some voice recordings too. Unfortunately we were all allocated randomly to our flats, and I'm a quiet person who works early shifts as well as studying.
Original post by Katielizabxth
I honestly understand., Unfortunately my loud flatmate lives just next door to me, he plays his loud music with his mates until around 4 in the morning and it's so loud that even my earplugs dont block the sound + the sound actually vibrates through my walls and desk etc. It has actually left me sleep deprived. I have called security many times(this occurs around 4-5 times a week) and he does not even bother to listen to them, or if he does he will turn it down for 5 minutes then turn it up again. I understand that it's 'the uni life' but honestly whats the point of having a bed in my room if it's too loud to even sleep? So my advice is to contact a possible residence tutor/accomodation office and keep a noise diary as evidence possibly with some voice recordings too. Unfortunately we were all allocated randomly to our flats, and I'm a quiet person who works early shifts as well as studying.

Are you reporting (or have you) to the uni? They have an accommodation department.

You can't expect them not to sleep just because you want to make noise.

Latest

Trending

Trending