The Student Room Group

Should I end my friendship with best friend?

We’ve been best-friends for 5 years, since year 8. It has been an amazing 5 years of my life filled with great memories, however there have been many bad moments. My best friend suffered from depression for many years, when she was very close to committing suicide, which I helped her through out these years, however ever since she’s better (a year) I feel like she doesn’t need me anymore nor wants me in her life unless she has problems. She did some horrible stuff to me through the years but I always forgave her as I was scared she’ll harm herself again. I keep forgiving her and she always says sorry and that she tries to change for me but Today she hurt me again. She chose boys over me , when we had plans, she left me out and told me she couldn’t be arsed going but then went out with other boys, posting photos on Snapchat I felt horrible. This not the first find this happened probably not the last time. Also she did worse things than that and I have trust issues when it comes to her. She changed me as a person I’m sad most of the times, closed myself from other people and generally hate myself. Unfortunately it has been the worst year for us. She changed, she chooses other people over me, doesn’t include me in her life, and keeps me away from her other friends. She told many times that she’s jealous and insecure near me but I comforted her that she’s just as pretty and better than me.We are so close together I couldn’t imagine my life without her but I’m so sick and tired of getting hurt and always hearing that she didn’t mean it. I feel like she does things on purpose to make me feel worse so she’s happy. Which I try to believe isn’t true. I don’t know there’s so many things. She didn’t even feel bad about today... said sorry because she had to. I don’t know what do to, I don’t want to be her second choice every time a different boy shows up (that’s a lot) where I always was there for her. I feel worthless, she makes me feel bad about myself. Worst thing is that I don’t have other friends because she kept me away from people. It’s totally too late for me to make friends at college everyone has their friend groups already and I’m very shy. I don’t know what to do, I’ve been crying for ages and it’s not the first time I’m crying because of this, not the first time I wanted to end this friendship but it’s so hard. My mum absolutely hates her now and always told me it’s a toxic friendship because she’s jealous of me and feel bad about herself around me and tries to portray me as a bad person to other people. Even her own my warned me about her, that she doesn’t deserve a friend like me and she will do things like this. I absolutely love her mum. Has anyone been i a similar situation? How to get through this it’s seems impossible... advice please :C
I’m so sorry to hear this. It’s always hard when you start to drift from a friend. Just remember that whatever you choose will work out in the end. Obviously I don’t know you or your friend so it’s difficult to try and give advice but I suggest starting to keep your distance. Still be friendly, but don’t spend too much time around her if she’s making you feel bad about yourself. Nobody deserves that. Do you have any other friends who you spend time with? If so, try to hang around with them a bit more. Don’t cut off communication completely with your best friend if you don’t want to but obviously something isn’t working out in your relationship and maybe she is no longer the right friend for you. I hope everything gets better soon! X
Sorry that your best friend has changed, and caused so much problems for you.

I’d say, distance your self away from her, and don’t communicate with her much, give her dead replies (don’t care much, as shes a clingy negative person - i think shes jealous of you too).

You’re too good of a person to be dragged down by a completely changed friend. I’d listen to your mum and her mum. You gave it all, but your friend isn’t doing the same, your relationship with your friend is toxic. There are more better people in life that you should hang around with!

The friend thing, i’d say try and catch up to any acquaintances, and just say hi, or whilst you’re in a class at college, you can ask for help from peers, and build a friendship and go off topic. Idk much for this part but hope this helps.

You’ve always got us, TSR, if you feel like talking. :smile:
Reply 3
Omg this is just like me and my friend, we used to have so much in common but she was self harming and stuff but even after that she's still really insecure (which i totally cant be dealing with) and takes casual digs at me in public to make me feel bad. - it doesn't it just makes me hate her. I've been gradually trying to distance myself from her bc she's so irritating and clingy, BUT it is hard because even though i have lots of friends i haven't really found my 'people' yet y'know, there all just people i hang with and call friends but really don't have much in common with. But through ignoring her messages and only speaking occasionally (nicely) i think i'll get there. Can't wait for uni jesus i need to find some groovy self confident people who don't think that the Macarena is an acceptable rave tune xox
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
We’ve been best-friends for 5 years, since year 8. It has been an amazing 5 years of my life filled with great memories, however there have been many bad moments. My best friend suffered from depression for many years, when she was very close to committing suicide, which I helped her through out these years, however ever since she’s better (a year) I feel like she doesn’t need me anymore nor wants me in her life unless she has problems. She did some horrible stuff to me through the years but I always forgave her as I was scared she’ll harm herself again. I keep forgiving her and she always says sorry and that she tries to change for me but Today she hurt me again. She chose boys over me , when we had plans, she left me out and told me she couldn’t be arsed going but then went out with other boys, posting photos on Snapchat I felt horrible. This not the first find this happened probably not the last time. Also she did worse things than that and I have trust issues when it comes to her. She changed me as a person I’m sad most of the times, closed myself from other people and generally hate myself. Unfortunately it has been the worst year for us. She changed, she chooses other people over me, doesn’t include me in her life, and keeps me away from her other friends. She told many times that she’s jealous and insecure near me but I comforted her that she’s just as pretty and better than me.We are so close together I couldn’t imagine my life without her but I’m so sick and tired of getting hurt and always hearing that she didn’t mean it. I feel like she does things on purpose to make me feel worse so she’s happy. Which I try to believe isn’t true. I don’t know there’s so many things. She didn’t even feel bad about today... said sorry because she had to. I don’t know what do to, I don’t want to be her second choice every time a different boy shows up (that’s a lot) where I always was there for her. I feel worthless, she makes me feel bad about myself. Worst thing is that I don’t have other friends because she kept me away from people. It’s totally too late for me to make friends at college everyone has their friend groups already and I’m very shy. I don’t know what to do, I’ve been crying for ages and it’s not the first time I’m crying because of this, not the first time I wanted to end this friendship but it’s so hard. My mum absolutely hates her now and always told me it’s a toxic friendship because she’s jealous of me and feel bad about herself around me and tries to portray me as a bad person to other people. Even her own my warned me about her, that she doesn’t deserve a friend like me and she will do things like this. I absolutely love her mum. Has anyone been i a similar situation? How to get through this it’s seems impossible... advice please :C

My gf and I went through every sour patch recently. Details in this video.

https://youtu.be/B1VCduuk3aQ

My advice is:
1 - Realised you don't own people and they don't own you. In reality you are free to come and go as you please.
2 - Your relationships define you as a person. Be very careful about the types of people you spend your time with.

James x
Reply 5
Original post by chlorinatedtears
I’m so sorry to hear this. It’s always hard when you start to drift from a friend. Just remember that whatever you choose will work out in the end. Obviously I don’t know you or your friend so it’s difficult to try and give advice but I suggest starting to keep your distance. Still be friendly, but don’t spend too much time around her if she’s making you feel bad about yourself. Nobody deserves that. Do you have any other friends who you spend time with? If so, try to hang around with them a bit more. Don’t cut off communication completely with your best friend if you don’t want to but obviously something isn’t working out in your relationship and maybe she is no longer the right friend for you. I hope everything gets better soon! X

Unfortunately our friendship ended in a argument and I won’t continue talking to her unless I’m ready to. Worst thing about whole situation is that we’ve been through so much but it’s ruined because she chose a boys over me. Which might seem pathetic but it happened more than once and finally this is the last time she hurt me. Its just so hard not to talk to her, and I get the urge all the time but I know I can’t. Thank you for your support and sorry for late reply, had a long weekend thinking and sorting my life out :smile: I’m a bit upset still but I guess friends are just an addition to life :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by JayX0
Sorry that your best friend has changed, and caused so much problems for you.

I’d say, distance your self away from her, and don’t communicate with her much, give her dead replies (don’t care much, as shes a clingy negative person - i think shes jealous of you too).

You’re too good of a person to be dragged down by a completely changed friend. I’d listen to your mum and her mum. You gave it all, but your friend isn’t doing the same, your relationship with your friend is toxic. There are more better people in life that you should hang around with!

The friend thing, i’d say try and catch up to any acquaintances, and just say hi, or whilst you’re in a class at college, you can ask for help from peers, and build a friendship and go off topic. Idk much for this part but hope this helps.

You’ve always got us, TSR, if you feel like talking. :smile:

Thank you so much! Yeah she admitted many times that she is jealous of me, but I never understood why I guess she was just insecure about herself which I tried to help her through aswell. But her problems became my problems that I actually forgot I had some on my own. It will take me a long time to open up to someone but I guess things happen for a reason and I meet someone worth my time and help along the way :smile: I talk to people in my classes but always struggle to keep contact outside school but I’ll work on that. thank you so much again !!! :smile:
I'm so sorry you had to go through five years of that; I know about toxic friendships and how they can eat away at you like no body's business. The best thing to do is to cut her out of your life and let yourself heal. She was a chapter in your life that contributed to how you are but that doesn't mean that she's the ultimate be-all, end-all of who you are.

Take care <3
Simple answer:
Get rid

Also use paragraphs
Reply 9
Original post by JSSB
My gf and I went through every sour patch recently. Details in this video.

https://youtu.be/B1VCduuk3aQ

My advice is:
1 - Realised you don't own people and they don't own you. In reality you are free to come and go as you please.
2 - Your relationships define you as a person. Be very careful about the types of people you spend your time with.

James x

It’s very brave of you to make a video like this! Well done :smile: I had loads of great times with her and I wouldn’t turn back time. Letting this friendship go made me stronger as a person and I know I can get through this :smile: thank you 😊
Original post by Dr Savage
Simple answer:
Get rid

Also use paragraphs

I did. I’ll remember next time.
Original post by saharan_skies
I'm so sorry you had to go through five years of that; I know about toxic friendships and how they can eat away at you like no body's business. The best thing to do is to cut her out of your life and let yourself heal. She was a chapter in your life that contributed to how you are but that doesn't mean that she's the ultimate be-all, end-all of who you are.

Take care <3

Thank you :smile: I just wished I listened to my mom when she warned me years ago, but I guess you learn from your mistakes, had to learn it the hard way 😄 It’s been 3 days, but already I’m feeling myself more. Thanks again, and you too :smile:
You don't need to act positively to 'officially' end anything. Just let things drift to an end.
Original post by Gr0ovy
Omg this is just like me and my friend, we used to have so much in common but she was self harming and stuff but even after that she's still really insecure (which i totally cant be dealing with) and takes casual digs at me in public to make me feel bad. - it doesn't it just makes me hate her. I've been gradually trying to distance myself from her bc she's so irritating and clingy, BUT it is hard because even though i have lots of friends i haven't really found my 'people' yet y'know, there all just people i hang with and call friends but really don't have much in common with. But through ignoring her messages and only speaking occasionally (nicely) i think i'll get there. Can't wait for uni jesus i need to find some groovy self confident people who don't think that the Macarena is an acceptable rave tune xox

Same exact situation! Literally for 5 years I felt like her personal psychologist which just drained me. She totally tried to make me feel worse about myself at all times but she didn’t do it physically but mentally is such a weird way that is so hard to explain :/ she also distant herself from me, wouldn’t go out but would talk all the time about going out with others. I caught her many times lying to me, I tried to ignore it. We would plan on going to cinema but she wouldn’t have money, but next time someone else would ask her she suddenly did. I was her last option and I felt horrible especially after all I’ve done for her. I understand you, I struggle making friends but I’m sure you’ll find someone who’ll you “click” right away with. Thank you!!! And I hope everything will go right for you and you’ll find some people that will appreciate a great person like you :smile:
Original post by Crumpet1
You don't need to act positively to 'officially' end anything. Just let things drift to an end.

I understand but I didn’t want to end things in tension. I don’t want her ruining my life, I know what she’s capable of. We finished this friendship and she didn’t even fight for it. She isn’t worth my positivity:smile:
Never truly had a best friend before but this is how I imagine it to play out if I were in your shoes. FUK DAT UNGRATEFUL DAFT HOE, SHE COMIN BACK TO ME AGAIN WHEN SHE NEEDS ME, ILL BE LAUGHING AT HER MISERY, BIATCH CAN GET SHREKT FOR ALL I CARE!:colone:
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
It’s very brave of you to make a video like this! Well done :smile: I had loads of great times with her and I wouldn’t turn back time. Letting this friendship go made me stronger as a person and I know I can get through this :smile: thank you 😊

You can get through anything. 'Still I Rise'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending