The Student Room Group

UCL Low Student Satisfaction!!!!

Why does UCL have low student satisfaction for physics?.
(edited 6 years ago)
Imperial also has a notoriously low student satisfaction. Most of the time it can be attributed to the fact that top unis make you work your arse off; thus leading to less student satisfaction.
Reply 2
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
Imperial also has a notoriously low student satisfaction. Most of the time it can be attributed to the fact that top unis make you work your arse off; thus leading to less student satisfaction.

Right ok, thanks!

Also, I dont kknow how much you know about physics courses, but would you recommend warwick or UCL for physics and why?
Original post by A-10
Why does UCL have low student satisfaction for physics?

It's the location tbh. A london uni with no campus makes lots of people unhappy since it's expensive and doesnt give the uni experience non london unis offer.

Dont take it too seriously, if you like the fact that its in london you'll be fine
Original post by A-10
Right ok, thanks!

Also, I dont kknow how much you know about physics courses, but would you recommend warwick or UCL for physics and why?

I study Physics, albeit at Bristol.
And there's no difference between the two really; UCL has more general prestige but it's negligible.

The best 4 physics programmes in the country are, in no particular order:
Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, Imperial. Anything after that is a blur.
UCL, LSE, Imperial all suffer this problem. I think its the combination of cramped accomodation, expensive living costs, tough courses and often a lack of teachers because most lecturers are focused on there doctoral/research work. Opposed to other unis that aren't as leading in research.
Reply 6
I study Physics, albeit at Bristol.
And there's no difference between the two really; UCL has more general prestige but it's negligible.

The best 4 physics programmes in the country are, in no particular order:
Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, Imperial. Anything after that is a blur.

OK, the situation is that im applying to cambridge, imperial, durham, warwick and birmingham.

Im slightly worried im being too ambitious and i might need a backup as in a uni with an AAA offer, as all of those require at least one a* if not two.

Would you recommend I put down a backup uni and if so which one? ( If you need my grades to judge just say)
Original post by A-10
OK, the situation is that im applying to cambridge, imperial, durham, warwick and birmingham.

Im slightly worried im being too ambitious and i might need a backup as in a uni with an AAA offer, as all of those require at least one a* if not two.

Would you recommend I put down a backup uni and if so which one? ( If you need my grades to judge just say)

I would say Bristol but they're A*AA. You have too many A*A*A and A*AA universities. The difference between Durham, Warwick and Birmingham is negligible. You defo need a backup.

UCL is probably a perfect backup IMO. They're a prestigious uni and their requirements are AAA.
Reply 8
I would say Bristol but they're A*AA. You have too many A*A*A and A*AA universities. The difference between Durham, Warwick and Birmingham is negligible. You defo need a backup.

UCL is probably a perfect backup IMO. They're a prestigious uni and their requirements are AAA.

Right so which uni would you recommend i switch out? and how would ucl compare to southampton?
Original post by A-10
Why does UCL have low student satisfaction for physics?

Because it’s an unsociable difficult place to study
Reply 10
Original post by SherlockD
Because it’s an unsociable difficult place to study

how so?
I'm a UCL grad and I'd say the low satisfaction is generally due to the fact that lecturers are picked based on the amount of publications they produce rather than their ability to teach. This means that a lot of them are pretty awful teachers (although very intelligent) and we often just had to figure everything out ourselves. This isn't just for physics, it's generally across the board for all subjects. It was a great university in other aspects, though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending