The Student Room Group

Where to Apply for Med School

Hi guys,

I am currently looking to apply to med school. I only achieved 1 A* at GCSE and 12 As but have pulled myself together for A-Levels. My UKCAT was 3110 and I have been predicted A*A*A (Chemistry,Biology & Psychology). Any ideas on where to apply?
Nrwcastle manchester southampton sheffield nottingham/leicester
Original post by lolz23489
Nrwcastle manchester southampton sheffield nottingham/leicester

Why these Unis? Sorry was just wondering
Reply 3
Original post by Hishaam Shah
Why these Unis? Sorry was just wondering

Big on UKCAT
Hi guys,

I am currently looking to apply to med school. I only achieved 1 A* at GCSE and 12 As but have pulled myself together for A-Levels. My UKCAT was 3110 and I have been predicted A*A*A (Chemistry,Biology & Psychology). Any ideas on where to apply?

You'd get 4 guaranteed interviews if you apply to St. George's, Plymouth, Sheffield and Newcastle/St Andrews

GUARANTEED
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You'd get 4 guaranteed interviews if you apply to St. George's, Plymouth, Sheffield and Newcastle/St Andrews

GUARANTEED

Have they said so? That's bloody fantastic if so, I'm only wanting an interview as I'm pretty good with communication having been head boy and debating.
Reply 6
Have they said so? That's bloody fantastic if so, I'm only wanting an interview as I'm pretty good with communication having been head boy and debating.

Yes. St. George's interview anyone who has at least 650 in the UKCAT and at leat 8 A grades at GCSE. Newcastle, Southampton, St. Andrews rank everyone on their UKCAT, you'd definitely meet the cut-off and I think they interview everyone who meets that cut-off. You'd definitely meet the UKCAT cut-offs for Sheffield and Manchester as well, after that though I think they look at your PS (Manchester have their own version called a non-academic form), at least I know Manchester do, not sure about Sheffield, you should check that on their website.
Original post by mosam00
Yes. St. George's interview anyone who has at least 650 in the UKCAT and at leat 8 A grades at GCSE. Newcastle, Southampton, St. Andrews rank everyone on their UKCAT, you'd definitely meet the cut-off and I think they interview everyone who meets that cut-off. You'd definitely meet the UKCAT cut-offs for Sheffield and Manchester as well, after that though I think they look at your PS (Manchester have their own version called a non-academic form), at least I know Manchester do, not sure about Sheffield, you should check that on their website.

What does the non-academic form entail?
Reply 8
What does the non-academic form entail?

I have no idea, sorry lol. I'm not applying there, I just know that they do it.

Once you meet minimum gcse and A Level predictions, they rank on UKCAT and make a UKCAT cutoff. Obviously you meet the minimum GCSEs and A Levels and have a highs ukcat, so you'd get interviewed.
You could also take the BMAT and apply to Cambridge, as they aren't very fussed on GCSEs.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Once you meet minimum gcse and A Level predictions, they rank on UKCAT and make a UKCAT cutoff. Obviously you meet the minimum GCSEs and A Levels and have a highs ukcat, so you'd get interviewed.

What about Manchester? Would I stand a chance there?

Yes with such a good ukcat score provided that your non academic form is up to standard.
Original post by ArcaneMists
Yes with such a good ukcat score provided that your non academic form is up to standard.

The non-academic form is extremely short, do you have any advice for completing it?
The non-academic form is extremely short, do you have any advice for completing it?

Well, I mean it is longer than a personal statement. I am also doing the form myself soon and I found advice to be good on the Manchester applicant 2018 entry thread. Look it up and there is advice in the recent posts.
Original post by ArcaneMists
Well, I mean it is longer than a personal statement. I am also doing the form myself soon and I found advice to be good on the Manchester applicant 2018 entry thread. Look it up and there is advice in the recent posts.

Thank you :smile:

Idk if it's guaranteed like the others, but you'd stand a very good chance, just not a guaranteed chance if you know what I mean, so apply there if you want to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending